• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Bnp v gaa

between the bridges

BNP V GAA is this a case of Alleged Bigot's Attacking Alleged Bigots...

The British National Party in Northern Ireland has written a letter of complaint about the GAA to the Equality Commission.

“This creates an environment where unionists will feel intimidated, threatened and of less value than other citizens, because of their national identity.

“Effectively they are excluded from attending or participating in GAA in Northern Ireland.”
BNP make equality complaint against GAA - Headlines - Belfast Newsletter

In fairness it's a difficult call, one has first to decide who is more morally reprehensible, and then view the argument on it's merits. However at the very least one would have to say that any organisational body/group that actively excludes others isn't proactively inclusive...

Narcissist

BNP said:
This creates an environment where unionists will feel intimidated, threatened and of less value than other citizens, because of their national identity.
Could quite easily be changed to;

BNP said:
We create an environment where ethnic minorities will feel intimidated, threatened and of less value than other citizens, because of the colour of their skin
The BNP are scumbags, we all know that, but I didn't know they had such a lack of self-awareness.

between the bridges

Could quite easily be changed to;

The BNP are scumbags, we all know that, but I didn't know they had such a lack of self-awareness.
Ah right so excluding someone because of their skin pigmentation is morally wrong but if it its because of their nationalistic ordination is ok...

belfast1981

BNP need to keep their nose out of Northern Irish and Irish affairs. While I do agree there is a case to be made that in the North GAA is not openly appealing to the unionist/protestant community BNP have no right to be interfering as they have 0 elected reps in NI and were probably one of the worst showing parties in terms of support when they did run.

longmarch

Why don't the BNP just F off.

We don't want to be part of the GAA. It's a very successful organisation and its entitled to its aims and agendas. Why would we want to change something we want no part of.

It's a silly attempt to galvanise support. It should fail

Mickeymac

Why don't the BNP just F off.

We don't want to be part of the GAA. It's a very successful organisation and its entitled to its aims and agendas. Why would we want to change something we want no part of.

It's a silly attempt to galvanise support. It should fail

Good to see that loyalists are waking up to the fact the way they were manipulated for decades, not by the BNP but by various shades of onionist politicos..............why don't you people tell them to fukk off?

Mickeymac

BNP need to keep their nose out of Northern Irish and Irish affairs. While I do agree there is a case to be made that in the North GAA is not openly appealing to the unionist/protestant community BNP have no right to be interfering as they have 0 elected reps in NI and were probably one of the worst showing parties in terms of support when they did run.

There is not a cigarette paper between the BNP and many onionist politicos..........why don't you get shot of them sir?

Narcissist

Ah right so excluding someone because of their skin pigmentation is morally wrong but if it its because of their nationalistic ordination is ok...
I never said that though..

If Protestants/Unionists, or anyone else for that matter, wanted to play Gaelic games I would support them in doing so. If they were treated differently I would be totally against that just the same.

I just find it hilarious that a hate party, who want to remove all ethnic minorities from Britain, can talk about discrimination with a straight face.

rmn640

So, the GAA have upset the BNP

As a general rule, if you're pissing off a bunch of racist, homophobic fascists such as the BNP, you're clearly doing something right

shantykelly

In fairness it's a difficult call, one has first to decide who is more morally reprehensible, and then view the argument on it's merits. However at the very least one would have to say that any organisational body/group that actively excludes others isn't proactively inclusive...
I can see the BNP being told there is no case to answer. On realpolitik alone, to give credence to their claim would be to open up a can of worms regarding sport in Northern Ireland. If this succeeds, an equally pointless and facetious case would be brough against the likes of the IFA and the Northern Ireland team for example.

And as a point of principle, anything the BNP support or endorse or think of, I would automatically oppose. If they were in favour of gravity, I would float to the moon. They are an external additional problem, when we have more than enough of our own homegrown ones to sort out.

stewart

I presume then that the BNP would agree that the IFA “is likely to be in breach of The Fair Employment and Treatment (Northern Ireland) Order 1998” as they
fly the union flag at Windsor Park and sing the English national anthem at matches?

Mickeymac

As a general rule, if you're pissing off a bunch of racist, homophobic fascists such as the BNP, you're clearly doing something right

Well spoken rmn............you beat me to posting much the same.

between the bridges

Indeed bravo, and coincidentally my raison d'etre for parading...

physicist

I don't think the BNP have any legislative grounds to attack the GAA on equality issues ...

He has alleged that the GAA seeks to exclude unionists by flying the Irish flag at grounds and singing the Irish national anthem at matches.
Neither acts as a physical or psychological barrier to a Unionist attending a GAA game, any more than Union flags and God Save The Queen acts as a physical or psychological barrier to a Nationalist attending a Northern Ireland football game. Indeed I recall God Save the Queen or something of the sort being sung at Ulster people in a GAA game by people in the Republic as a means of a wind up. Such is the nature of sport, you will always get hostility in the crowd.

Furthermore,” Mr Moore writes, “some GAA grounds are named after prominent Republicans and have been used for Republican anti-British political commemorations contrary to the Association’s own rules.
It's nice to see that the BNP have read up on the GAA's own rules here, there is a requirement on being apolitical from a partisan point of view and I believe a ban on political events. That is an internal disciplinary matter. However demanding inequality towards Republicans outright even when they have no connections to militancy or connections to political parties is not in the spirit of equality.

between the bridges

I presume then that the BNP would agree that the IFA “is likely to be in breach of The Fair Employment and Treatment (Northern Ireland) Order 1998” as they
fly the union flag at Windsor Park and sing the English national anthem at matches?
one equality case at a time old bean, but you raise an interesting question do those who want the IFA to change the anthem at a game they will never go it, think the GAA should change the anthem for those who don't go to their games...

Mickeymac

I doubt that very much Stewart but it's interesting to see these lousebag parties poking their noses into the sick counties these days..............agreed candidates perhaps for onionist parties who can't agree?

physicist

one equality case at a time old bean, but you raise an interesting question do those who want the IFA to change the anthem at a game they will never go it, think the GAA should change the anthem for those who don't go to their games...
Personally I think inter county games should have county anthems, they are basically part of the game anyway.