Boaty McBoatface, maiden voyage

GDPR

The high-tech remote-operated yellow submarine will undergo its maiden voyage this week through a deep current that starts in Antarctica and goes through the Southern Ocean on a two month mission to collect data on how global warning affects oceans. The remotely operated submarine will depart on Friday aboard the James Clark Ross, a British polar research ship, from Punta Arenas, Chile, and will head to the Southern Ocean. It is hoped that Boaty will be able to make the first under-ice crossing of the Arctic Ocean.

The joke around the name started a year ago, when the Natural Environment Research Council, a British government agency, opened a public campaign to name a ship to replace the James Clark Ross, and the aforementioned Boaty McBoatface was the winner. However, the Science Ministry ignored the results of the poll and announced that the ship would be named after David Attenborough. British officials acknowledged the Boaty McBoatface phenomenon by bestowing the name on a remotely operated submarine that would accompany the David Attenborough in collecting data and samples.

While it's a bit of a laugh, the name alone will garner interest, and I hope to use this thread for updates on a serious scientific mission. Bon voyage.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/13/world/europe/boaty-mcboatface-mission-antarctica.html?_r=0

milipod

Looks like a minion in its nude.

Last edited:

Roisin3

If I drink some red red wine will "we all live in a yellow submarine" stop looping through my head.

im axeled

its a while since i watched a documentery on the discovery chanell about a current which leaves the antartic, meanders its way towards the noth pole, turns around and flows back down and starts again, there is a massive waterfall out on the west of ireland, i think around 1500 foot of a fall, they used fortage from the space shuttle to track it on its amazing journey

TedHankey

The high-tech remote-operated yellow submarine will undergo its maiden voyage this week through a deep current that starts in Antarctica and goes through the Southern Ocean on a two month mission to collect data on how global warning affects oceans. The remotely operated submarine will depart on Friday aboard the James Clark Ross, a British polar research ship, from Punta Arenas, Chile, and will head to the Southern Ocean. It is hoped that Boaty will be able to make the first under-ice crossing of the Arctic Ocean.

The joke around the name started a year ago, when the Natural Environment Research Council, a British government agency, opened a public campaign to name a ship to replace the James Clark Ross, and the aforementioned Boaty McBoatface was the winner. However, the Science Ministry ignored the results of the poll and announced that the ship would be named after David Attenborough. British officials acknowledged the Boaty McBoatface phenomenon by bestowing the name on a remotely operated submarine that would accompany the David Attenborough in collecting data and samples.

While it's a bit of a laugh, the name alone will garner interest, and I hope to use this thread for updates on a serious scientific mission. Bon voyage.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/13/world/europe/boaty-mcboatface-mission-antarctica.html?_r=0
Disappointed. Thought this would be about Simon Coveney hitting the waves again for charity... or maybe dropping something off in the caymans.

Roisin3

its a while since i watched a documentery on the discovery chanell about a current which leaves the antartic, meanders its way towards the noth pole, turns around and flows back down and starts again, there is a massive waterfall out on the west of ireland, i think around 1500 foot of a fall, they used fortage from the space shuttle to track it on its amazing journey
Does it join the current or is it a separate thing?

redhead

If I drink some red red wine will "we all live in a yellow submarine" stop looping through my head.
If you drink some white wine you'll get "an octopus's garden in the shade..."

redhead

You're very cruel, I had just got that song out of my head. :lol:
Sorry I deleted it after I saw your other comment, now you'll have tenticular cephalopods...

redhead

I'm switching back and forth between yellow submarine and red red wine. :D
Just as long as you get the bit that goes "red red wahn ya mayk meh feeel soh fine, ya keep meh rhockinnnn all av de time"

Black Swan

A whale suppository?

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
If you drink some white wine you'll get "an octopus's garden in the shade..."
Rots can never shake the feeling when he hears that line, that some murky sexual imagery is involved somewhere....:shock: LOL

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Whatever sinks your submarine!
How true red, half the time Rots feels like a u-boat commander in World War 2 dodging metaphorical landmines in this absurd Republic.:rolleyes:

Mad as Fish

How true red, half the time Rots feels like a u-boat commander in World War 2 dodging metaphorical landmines in this absurd Republic.:rolleyes:
Dodging landmines in a U boat would take a mighty pile of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

New Threads

Most Replies