• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Bob Geldof on Ireland 2013.

Boy M5

He was on an hour ago on John Murray's RTÉ radio programme.
When asked by Murray about his banana Republic comments 30 odd years ago - Geldof launched into a tour de force about Ireland and Irish society. In his view not much changed. How can a society that forces its best and brightest to emigrate be anything other than an abject failure? Murray sounded shocked and then crestfallen when Geldof spoke about successful companies here to be rebuffed that a major motivation for their presence was our low corporation tax rate. He laid into the main parties, the alleged bankers and the pee poor economic reporting in the media.

The underpinning of his argument was that basically insiders benefited & the rest were screwed and the media at best failed but perhaps complicit. He quite rightly pointed the finger at the property supplements (anyone else remember Lord Sir O'Reilly and Commisar Harris' intervention on stamp duty?) That a form of mé feinism was endemic in the "elite" of whatever political party.These comments were a distillation of posts that I but many others have made over the years, only put with vigour & passion.

Try and listen to it on the podcast.
In fact I should download and play it back to which ever political canvasser knocks on my door next, listen to it instead
of giving my money to Cliff "Ryanair" Taylor, Anne "Aldershot" Harris and their minions on a Sunday and play it when Austin
Hughes or Jim "Soft Landing" Power come on the media next.

Geldof spoke about Irish people's resilience, creativity and openess.
We owe it to ourselves, to our children and to the past waves of emigrants to change society positively and to do it now.
People need to be more questioning, to vote sensibly, and hold politicans, business people and the media to account.

Astral Peaks

He also laid in to the Media about the Laundries, Industrial Schools, clerical child abuse etc.

Murray's face must have been a picture!!

Last edited:

EoinMag

[video=youtube;OfMwWLnpgGw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfMwWLnpgGw[/video]

He was right then, and nothing has changed.

corporal punishment

The media in this country are groteque, with RTE top of the shytepile.

Boy M5

He also laid in to the Media about the Laundries, Industrial Schools, clerical child abuse.

Murray's face must have been a picture!! etc.
Spot on, I missed posting that bit thanks.

Geldof said he knew of the brutality and cover ups as a teenager.

TheWexfordInn

Ill listen to the podcast but from the sound of it he is saying the same things he said on the Late Late show 30 odd years ago. I think whatever shock he might cause now is nothing compared to the reaction he got back then.

Crazy horse 6

The media in this country are groteque, with RTE top of the shytepile.
As far as i'm concerned the media are as responsible as anyone for the mess the country is in. RTE in particular needs to be shut down asap and those who pushed the property bubble on their advertisers behalf should be seeing the inside of jail cells.

EoinMag

Bob is a pain in the arse bigmouthed knowall.

always was.
Well he certainly proved to know more than most, I suppose he pissed off a lot of people by telling the truth, because it just wasn't the done thing.

<edit> it seems some still don't like the truth.

friendlyfire

That's it Sir Bob your now on RTE's banned list....just wait till Joe Duffy hears this shock,horror.The media muppets are fools and has-beens, they think they can paint a picture of an Irish utopia but the......
majority of the country are not living in a bubble anymore but Murray,Duffy,Callaghan,Tubbs etc still are!

Last edited:

EoinMag

Irish people have always had issues with those more enlightened and aware than themselves
Could you possibly edit that post to narrow down the target group?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies