• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Bombing in Benghazi kills 15: Islamist militants blamed

Honecker

A terrorist bombing of a hospital in Benghazi, Libya, killed 15 people and wounded dozens more. Ever since the "revolution" there has been anarchy in Libya. Foreign embassies have pulled out of the country citing safety concerns. Armed gangs of Islamist youths roam the streets and harass people trying to go about their business. Militias regularly storm government buildings and interrupt parliament whenever they don't get their way. Unemployment and poverty is now rampant in what used to be the African country with the highest standard of living. Ordinary people have begun to take to the streets in recent times to protest against the Islamists and the Muslim Brotherhood. Many Libyans blame Qatar for funding the Islamist militias and Qatari flags have been burned on the streets of Benghazi and Tripoli.

Libya: The government has got to go, say protesters | euronews, world news

.:Middle East Online::Qatar pays price for its generous support to Muslim Brotherhood :.

Levellers

Are these the same lads the USA and UK backed to overthrow Gaddafi and then killed the US ambassador in Benghazi?

Blow me down with a feather!

darkhorse

A terrorist bombing of a hospital in Benghazi, Libya, killed 15 people and wounded dozens more. Ever since the "revolution" there has been anarchy in Libya. Foreign embassies have pulled out of the country citing safety concerns. Armed gangs of Islamist youths roam the streets and harass people trying to go about their business. Militias regularly storm government buildings and interrupt parliament whenever they don't get their way. Unemployment and poverty is now rampant in what used to be the African country with the highest standard of living. Ordinary people have begun to take to the streets in recent times to protest against the Islamists and the Muslim Brotherhood. Many Libyans blame Qatar for funding the Islamist militias and Qatari flags have been burned on the streets of Benghazi and Tripoli.

Libya: The government has got to go, say protesters | euronews, world news

.:Middle East Online::Qatar pays price for its generous support to Muslim Brotherhood :.
But I guess we cant really lecture them about that coming from Ireland - we had a civil war after independence
I am sure there were lots of smart arses around at the time saying that our freedom wasn't worth it

Last edited:

Levellers

But I guess we cant really lecture them about that coming from Ireland - we had a civil war after independence
I am sure there were lots of smart arses around at the time saying that our freedom wasn't worth it
Correct - with the UK backing one side again.

james toney

Are these the same lads the USA and UK backed to overthrow Gaddafi and then killed the US ambassador in Benghazi?

Number one priority to them is that the oil is flowing unhindered out of the country.

Honecker

The war from 1916-21 was about getting the imperialists out. The "revolution" in Libya was about getting the imperialists in. The conflicts are in no way comparable.

bob3344

Number one priority to them is that the oil is flowing unhindered out of the country.
Yeah, its all down to the west, why don't you turn the record over for once ?

Should the west invade & impose civilisation on these savages - oh, that was colonialism which is officially the reason for every bad thing that happened in Africa, ever.

Aristodemus

You have a lot to learn about foreign affairs. Everything is not simple and black and white. Taking your "logic", maybe they should have backed Gaddaffi? These situations are always very fluid. Getting rid of Gaddaffi was a moral imperative. Just beacuse the headhackers have moved in because there is no effective government does not mean it was wrong to assist in his overthrow.

Honecker

You have a lot to learn about foreign affairs. Everything is not simple and black and white. Taking your "logic", maybe they should have backed Gaddaffi? These situations are always very fluid. Getting rid of Gaddaffi was a moral imperative. Just beacuse the headhackers have moved in because there is no effective government does not mean it was wrong to assist in his overthrow.
No it wasn't. It's you who needs to learn about foreign relations.

darkhorse

The war from 1916-21 was about getting the imperialists out. The "revolution" in Libya was about getting the imperialists in. The conflicts are in no way comparable.
Your OP claimed that the ongoing violence, unemployment and poverty in Libya negated the value of overthrowing Gadaffi dictatorship
Hence my reply that we had more violence here post independance
Now you are moving the goalposts by bringing in something unrelated about 'imperialists' taking over Libya
Wtf are you babbling on about?

Honecker

Your OP claimed that the ongoing violence, unemployment and poverty in Libya negated the value of overthrowing Gadaffi dictatorship
Hence my reply that we had more violence here post independance
Now you are moving the goalposts by bringing in something unrelated about 'imperialists' taking over Libya
Wtf are you babbling on about?
What was the value of overthrowing Gaddafi exactly? What did he do that was bad except to use oil wealth to building houses and schools? We all know that money in supposed to go into the hands of corporations don't we?

Brian1

You have a lot to learn about foreign affairs. Everything is not simple and black and white. Taking your "logic", maybe they should have backed Gaddaffi? These situations are always very fluid. Getting rid of Gaddaffi was a moral imperative.[/U] Just beacuse the headhackers have moved in because there is no effective government does not mean it was wrong to assist in his overthrow.

Please elaborate. A moral imperative for whom? Who's morals? Are you saying Regime Change is a legitimate goal?

Bandheacseoir

What was the value of overthrowing Gaddafi exactly?
A totalitarian state run by a dictator became a democratic state run by elected representatives?

What did he do that was bad
You don't see anything bad about dictatorship, state-sponsored terrorism, state-sanctioned torture, state-sanctioned execution of dissidents, state control of the media...?

Honecker

A totalitarian state run by a dictator became a democratic state run by elected representatives?

You don't see anything bad about dictatorship, state-sponsored terrorism, state-sanctioned torture, state-sanctioned execution of dissidents, state control of the media...?
You sound like some first year politics student

gijoe

And they want to do the exact same in Syria - go figure!!

Aristodemus

You sound like some first year politics student

By not engaging in the argument and falling back on childish name-calling would suggest you are the immature one.

Honecker

By not engaging in the argument and falling back on childish name-calling would suggest you are the immature one.
There's no point in engaging with some idealist who goes around talking about totalitarianism, dictators and democracy without having any understanding of the reality of what is happening in Libya.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies