Bonfires and a tale of two councils

McSlaggart

Bonfires and Smoke

"Fermanagh & Omagh District Council does not permit bonfires on any of their grounds and will remove any such materials it believes are being used to make a bonfire."

Environmental Health – Fermanagh & Omagh District Councilenvironmental-protection/bonfires-and-smoke/

Bonfires and cultural expression

One of the goals of our Good Relations Action Plan is to promote the positive expression of culture. As part of this we're working with communities across Belfast to help improve the way July bonfires are managed and provide support to increase opportunities for positive cultural expression.

Our bonfire and cultural expression programme aims to support positive, respectful expressions of culture that value diversity and encourage participation. The programme will:

support creative forms of cultural expression within communities
provide training to support positive change, and
work with communities to encourage safe forms of cultural celebration.
We will help communities where July bonfires occur to connect with the cultural significance of the occasion through the funding of small scale community festival events and activities. We will also fund activity that raises awareness of cultural heritage and what it can mean to different groups.

The programme is part of our wider work in promoting Belfast as a welcoming, safe and inclusive city as outlined in the Belfast Agenda. We will also continue our collaborative work with a number of agencies on the issue of bonfires.

We will continue to support groups who deliver activity that aims to address issues associated with August bonfires and to tackle some negative aspects and challenges that continue to be associated with some bonfires.

Community - Belfast City Councilgoodrelations/bonfires.aspx

At what point will the people of Belfast start protesting about the attitude of their council to the issue of Bonfires?

McSlaggart

Of course they should be taken to court and made to pay for their incompetence. "Culture" is not a magic word that turns criminal activity into something that is legal.

How the hell did people get away with stealing the 3,000 bonfire pallets from Belfast council depot? Has anyone from Belfast council come out and explained what actions they are taking in order to make sure those who did it face the law?

vivabrigada

The front page of the Irish News blames the UDA for the theft.

No article available yet.

Irish News

vivabrigada

I wouldn't hold my breath, yesterday on Nolan there were calls for the council to buy pallets to replace the stolen ones for burning.
I couldn't believe my ears.

Se0samh

I wouldn't hold my breath, yesterday on Nolan there were calls for the council to buy pallets to replace the stolen ones for burning.
I couldn't believe my ears.
Now now Viv, nothing surprising in this, just the usual brass necked bare faced cheek...taking the mick...:rolleyes:

Niall996

Bonfires and Smoke

"Fermanagh & Omagh District Council does not permit bonfires on any of their grounds and will remove any such materials it believes are being used to make a bonfire."

Environmental Health – Fermanagh & Omagh District Councilenvironmental-protection/bonfires-and-smoke/

Bonfires and cultural expression

One of the goals of our Good Relations Action Plan is to promote the positive expression of culture. As part of this we're working with communities across Belfast to help improve the way July bonfires are managed and provide support to increase opportunities for positive cultural expression.

Our bonfire and cultural expression programme aims to support positive, respectful expressions of culture that value diversity and encourage participation. The programme will:

support creative forms of cultural expression within communities
provide training to support positive change, and
work with communities to encourage safe forms of cultural celebration.
We will help communities where July bonfires occur to connect with the cultural significance of the occasion through the funding of small scale community festival events and activities. We will also fund activity that raises awareness of cultural heritage and what it can mean to different groups.

The programme is part of our wider work in promoting Belfast as a welcoming, safe and inclusive city as outlined in the Belfast Agenda. We will also continue our collaborative work with a number of agencies on the issue of bonfires.

We will continue to support groups who deliver activity that aims to address issues associated with August bonfires and to tackle some negative aspects and challenges that continue to be associated with some bonfires.

Community - Belfast City Councilgoodrelations/bonfires.aspx

At what point will the people of Belfast start protesting about the attitude of their council to the issue of Bonfires?
Whoever the leaders of the PUL community are, they've fostered a world view of their culture all based on drunkenness, aggression, bonfires, ear splitting cacophonous drums/flutes, marching, silly hats, confrontation and religious bigotry. There's no such thing in PUL culture as music, art, literature, film, creativity, fun, joy, etc. This July 12th thing every year nails ever deeper this monochrome view of the PUL''s of NI culture. And they seem happy with that. I think someone should take them aside some day and whisper i their ear, 'lads, do you not think it's time you showed a different side of yourselves to the world' (assuming that there is one there somewhere).

between the bridges

Whoever the leaders of the PUL community are, they've fostered a world view of their culture all based on drunkenness, aggression, bonfires, ear splitting cacophonous drums/flutes, marching, silly hats, confrontation and religious bigotry. There's no such thing in PUL culture as music, art, literature, film, creativity, fun, joy, etc. This July 12th thing every year nails ever deeper this monochrome view of the PUL''s of NI culture. And they seem happy with that. I think someone should take them aside some day and whisper i their ear, 'lads, do you not think it's time you showed a different side of yourselves to the world' (assuming that there is one there somewhere).
Cheers for the laff lad, your comments say more about ye than moi ever could...

vivabrigada

eoghanacht

Their is nothing unique or different in PUL culture.
Kill All Taigs.

That's fairly unique, now that the American KKK are more focused on staring a race war as opposed to a sectarian one.

Niall996

Vivy, just to be clear do ye agree with the comments that PUL have no culture...
I never said they have no culture. Quite the opposite. We see it every year. My point is, that what is presented to the world is a very ugly culture. And your leader, your local pastor or whatever, should maybe think about finding one or two other strings to that bow. If they exist, and I'm not saying they don't, let's see something because up to now, no one has ever seen a positive PUL cultural expression of any sort. Nothing, nada. And if you don't believe me, go out on the streets of any city in the Western hemisphere and ask them to tell you what they know about Irish culture, and then ask them what they know about the PUL's (assuming that they might actually have heard of you). Just trying to help you guys find your feet in the modern world. Take it as a convivial gesture of help to our little lost tribe of brethren. I know it must be a bit scary emerging our of the middle ages into the light.

between the bridges

I never said they have no culture. Quite the opposite. We see it every year. My point is, that what is presented to the world is a very ugly culture. And your leader, your local pastor or whatever, should maybe think about finding one or two other strings to that bow. If they exist, and I'm not saying they don't, let's see something because up to now, no one has ever seen a positive PUL cultural expression of any sort. Nothing, nada. And if you don't believe me, go out on the streets of any city in the Western hemisphere and ask them to tell you what they know about Irish culture, and then ask them what they know about the PUL's (assuming that they might actually have heard of you). Just trying to help you guys find your feet in the modern world. Take it as a convivial gesture of help to our little lost tribe of brethren. I know it must be a bit scary emerging our of the middle ages into the light.
The laffs just keep coming, cheers lad...

vivabrigada

between the bridges

Oh they have a culture alright, a nasty right-wing one.
This from the poster that erupts with faux outrage at any generalization of his community, duh...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies