Bono - RTÉ The Greatest ??

Goldencircle

Of course we all know that Bono couldn't have possibly received enough votes to make the top five.
[conspiracy]Its more likely RTÉ have planted him there to stir things up and encourage people to tune in.[/conspiracy]
Dave Fannings show next week will no doubt focus heavily on his Humanitarian work.
But I have a strange feeling that as with most of Bono's projects we won't be hearing the full facts.

We already know about the RED brand and the sham that turned into (without even bringing in the question of where i-pods and GAP clothing comes from into it).
And maybe have a look here and here.

But Mr Heuston doesn't seem to have learned any lessons and today we hear a few truths about "ONE".
Heres just a taster for those at work.

The Bono nonprofit took in $14,993,873 in public donations in 2008, the latest year for which tax records are available.

Of that, $184,732 was distributed to three charities, according to the IRS filing.

Meanwhile, more than $8 million was spent on executive and employee salaries.
Should be interesting to see how much of this is glossed over next Monday.
More later but I would be interested to hear what people really think first.

farnaby

He's probably the most well-known Irish person ever, he appears to have genuine humanitarian instincts (despite the dodgy revelations above), and the mixture of these two means he converses with some of the most influential people in the world and may have some bearing on their policies. Not overly convincing qualifications for greatness but worthy of consideration.

Interested to hear what everyone thinks the criteria for greatness are. Some will focus on the internal - deep patriotism, lasting influence on irish life, artistic expression of what it is to be irish; others will look for who made the most impact on the outside world. I don't think we had both except perhaps for our literary giants - I'd go with Joyce.

Aristodemus

Unbelievable. The whole integrity and point of the series has been undermined by his inclusion. He's not the first entertainer who believed that people loved him for who he is rather than what he does. I wonder if keith barry, the magician, did a bit of third world whining would we all think he was Mr Wonderful?

hellsbells

Fanning is a clown .His love for bono is well known .Pathetic really .

Wile E. Coyote

It really does make a joke of that series including him. I may have problems with some of the others included and those not included but at least the others included make sense.

ManfredJudge

[conspiracy]Its more likely RTÉ have planted him there to stir things up and encourage people to tune in.[/conspiracy]
Anyone else had trouble voting for people who did not make the top 5?

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
For me he's the only one that comes anywhere near meritting inclusion. He is one of the country's great ever entertainers and has also put his fame to good use to the benefit of others.

I still wouldn't have him in the Top 5, but I would have him in the Top 10, unlike any of the others on the shortlist. For me, the inclusion of Connolly and Hume are by far the most ridiculous.

meriwether

For me he's the only one that comes anywhere near meritting inclusion. He is one of the country's great ever entertainers and has also put his fame to good use to the benefit of others.

I still wouldn't have him in the Top 5, but I would have him in the Top 10, unlike any of the others on the shortlist. For me, the inclusion of Connolly and Hume are by far the most ridiculous.
Who would be in your top 5?

I agree on Bono by the way. Bongo and U2 are one of the greatest bands ever. Granted, they haven't released a single good albumn since zoopra, but their 80's and early 1990's work is excellent.
They are world leaders in their chosen field, a crowded field, with ever changing tastes, and annual multi-billion spend. That is greatness.

He might have his moments of buffoonery, but there you go.

pujols

We should be respectful, he is royalty after all...

borntorum

No Joyce, no Yeats, no O'Connell, no Dev, no Lemass, no Parnell, no Pearse...

But don't worry, they've included a man who repeated the same speech throughout his entire political career and a woman who is adept at nodding sincerely.

adamirer

I'd mostly agree.
Bono, for over 25 years, regardless of if you think its for fame, attention, smugness, whatever - has given up huge tracts of time and energy working for Africa and causes he believes in. The methods might annoy and embarrass us at times, but theres no real case for disputing his commitment.

He certainly has been the irishman with the biggest impact globally and there are no doubt hundreds of thousands of people alive today thanks to his relentless politicing. I read in the U2 25 book (easons for €2, heh heh) that he said he was well aware how polarising he is and that Clayton and particularly Mullen have ensured he's totally aware of the criticism but that he feels its worth sucking up to people and being an object of ridicule to many, if it highlights the causes he believes in.

The guy uses his fame generously, when he could as easily have done a Mick Jagger and simply spend his life touring, reaping in millions more in tour profits and spending time with his family. It's also a mark of the man that while he used his fame so wantonly, he did it for the right reasons but protected his family from the trapping of the lifestyle. Can anyone name Bono's kids? Ali Hewson isn't some Colleen Rooney type etc. He only takes the limelight when he feels he can put it to good use.

I've more time for Mary Robinsons pre Presidential legal career and her gay rights work than her Presidential stuff, but she shouldn't be top five.

M Collins, deserves his place and who knows how his achievements would have been if not assassinated at, what 30? 31?
E DeValera deserved a place for his lifetime of achievement.
J Connolly, to me, is merely an icon. I'd have Joyce there instead.
J Hume... meh...a very good man, not a great man. He never really delivered but its hard to be critical. I'd rather a Daniel O'Connell or a CS Parnell there instead.

Pearse and some of the others were too much a snapshot of a very tiny moment in time and their ahcievement, leading an obviously ill fated rebellion, crushed in a few days, is no more worthy than Robert Emmet, Wolfe Tone etc, which is to say worthy of note and of appreication.. but lets not get ahead of ourselves, it was a disaster - over in less time than the Cowen controversy, that only resonates now because it was used as a rallying call for a much stronger, already in place, self rule movement.

I think in 50 years people will look back at when Bono did and regardless of how well it worked, will recognise his superb achievements and remember, love or hate their music, U2 have been the best Ambassadors for Ireland, Irish music, Irish culture and Irish Tourism since St. Patrick.

Keith-M

Website
Who would be in your top 5?
My personal Top 5 would be;
Daniel O'Connell
The Duke Of Wellington
Oscar Wilde
Arthur Guinness
Robert Boyle

I don't believe that you can fully judge people until they have died and the greatest in terms of achievment of these people cannot be disputed.

If you were including people who were born in the old United Kingdom, but who played a major part of their lives in Ireland as RTÉ have done with James Connolly, I would also consider James Gandon. If I was to include the island of Ireland post partition as RTÉ have done with John Hume, I would consider Edward Carson.

adamirer

My personal Top 5 would be;
Daniel O'Connell
The Duke Of Wellington
Oscar Wilde
Arthur Guinness
Robert Boyle
James Gandon.
Good calls - particularly Wilde and absolutely Arthur Guinness - for the brewery but also the ethos that led to Guinness'es being the best employer in the state- in terms of benefiots and care, for generations.

When you see these losing out to Gately, Colin Farrell, Keating, Phil Lynnot, you have to cringe.

Dean Swift, Yeats, Stoker, the scientist in TCD whose name I can't recall for the life of me, Boggle?

adamirer

By what criteria are they one of the greatest bands ever? I think the whole 'Greatest' idea is a turkey, but the inclusion of this posturing airhead sinks it completely.
You miss the point. None of the greatest bands/artists ever - are anywhere near the most acomplished (Elvis, Beatles, Jackson) - but you're into matters of taste anyway. But they're clearly the 'greatest' Irish band ever by virtue of conquoring the world and world markets. Worldwide people know who U2 are and more importantly, that they are from Ireland. No other cultural act or phenomeonon has done that or come anywhere close. Its a colossal achievement.

Greatest doesn't mean 'best'. It means Greatest. Its an important distinction.
Ask me the best movie of all time, I'd prob say Shawshank or Finding Nemo (it touches me.. ).
Ask me the greatest? Empire Strieks Back - hands down. Important difference.

U2 achievements are monsterous. Bono's even more so.

CarnivalOfAction

He's a hypocrite who badgers others to do what he refuses to do himself.

BTW, he's a friend of mass murderers Bush & Blair

For me, the inclusion of Connolly and Hume are by far the most ridiculous.
Yet you whine that, in the aftermath of partition, the south became a backward, church dominated society. [You failed to mention that the north was a mirror image with Orange marches added, but one can't have everything]. This is precisely what Connolly predicted as far back as 1913, when he said that partition would lead to a carnival of reaction, north & south.

Anorakphobia

Fanning should get up each morning and thank God for Bono.
If it wasn't for Bono, Fanning would be an obscure late night Indie DJ on a midlands radio station.
Where would Guggi and Gavin Friday be without Bono?
Busking around Grafton St instead of the Sindo and other U2 arse rimmers doing repeated articles on how each are artists compable with Picasso and Dali.
And are they?
Of course they aren't but they are Bono mates and if Bono says they are brilliant, they must be.

johnfás

Whole thing is a farce anyway, you can't have living people on a "greatest ever" list of Irish people. Their journey has not finished, who knows what fall from grace any living person may yet have or what may be revealed about them.

Beyond that, every person on the final short list is from the twentieth century. What about St Colmcille or the Duke of Wellington? These people had far more influence internationally? Even in the twentieth century what about Yeats, Joyce or Ernest Walton? Walton's scientific discovery is far more influential than anything the people on the final shortlist throws up. The same can be said of many of our great scientists over the past 300 years.

Keith-M

Website
He's a hypocrite who badgers others to do what he refuses to do himself.

BTW, he's a friend of mass murderers Bush & Blair
i would have a far more balanced view of Bush and Blair and whether yo like it or not Bono's work for Africa has probably savd the lives of tens of thousands of people.

Yet you whine that, in the aftermath of partition, the south became a backward, church dominated society. [You failed to mention that the north was a mirror image with Orange marches added, but one can't have everything]. This is precisely what Connolly predicted as far back as 1913, when he said that partition would lead to a carnival of reaction, north & south.
If Connolly had such insight then he should have have know that it would eventually come down to a case of unity or sovereignty.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies