Bono voted 'least great': Sunday Times

gijoe

And by one hell of a wide margin. Bono got just 4,426 of the 147,531 votes cast, or 3%, in the Ireland's Greatest series.

The full list is:

John Hume 54586 37%
Michael Collins 42784 29%
Mary Robinson 29506 20%
James Connolly 16228 11%
Bono 4426 3%

I did wonder how Bono ever made that list and the voting certainly indicates that he should never have made the list. However, the real story that strikes me is that despite all the time and effort RTE put into the series less than 150k bothered to cast a vote. There was a lot of primetime slots given over to the series plus 2 slots on the Late Late. IIRC correctly the cost to text a vote was €1, take off the VAT and costs and it could have generated no more than €100k gross. Then you have to take off the costs, including the cost of jetting Dave Fanning to Africa etc in his programme, and the series would have been seriously loss making in nominal terms although I am sure it worked out OK when advertising revenue and the number of primetime hours it occupied are taken into account.

stripey cat

I think it's amazing that so many people spent money on a whimsical idea, on top of their lcience fee. Nuts.

reknaw

When they capped the tax-free income for artists at €250,000 a year (!!!), the Boner and his pals quickly went offshore. He loves to preach to us that we should help out the less-fortunate countries in the world (with which I agree), but won't put his own money where his mouth is.:(

Then he just loves to hang around with and legitimise war criminals like Bush and BLiar as well as other fairly unsavoury types like Trimble. The ultimate limelight-hogging groupie!:rolleyes:

IMHO, he deserves to be teabagged by a large hippopotamus. That might shut him up for just a while.:lol::lol:

Capt Blah

Website
www.mehearty.blogspot.com
IMHO, he deserves to be teabagged by a large hippopotamus. That might shut him up for just a while.:lol::lol:
Most unfair to the hippo, methinks petunia

Besides he would love the publicity that such an event would accord him.

The only use this tosser will ever be to this country is if they include a Self-Promotion event in the Olympic Games petunia

idle tim

All state funding to RTE should be widrawn ASAP,it has become an absolute joke in terms of broadcasting and deserves to be cut loose into the shark infested waters of Private Broadcasting Companies,lets see how P Kenny J Duffy R Tubridy and all the other overpaid ego maniacs survive then.BTW did any other Posters hear the Livline Funny Friday programme last week,a shameful reflection on how those smugly insolated from our crisis carry on.

conservative green

I would have voted for him ahead of any of those windbag non-entities. His cultural significance is certainly greater. ZOOTV is still the greatest rock tour in history as far as I am concerned. The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby were among the greatest albums of their respective decades. I don't care where he pays taxes, it's none of my business.

RahenyFG

considering the muppet that he is, hardly surprsing:D

Socratus O' Pericles

Paul Simon arrives for unveiling of Heaney tapestry - Culture & Entertainment News | The Irish Times - Wed, Apr 23, 2014

A special tapestry dedicated to the late Seamus Heaney has been unveiled at Dublin Airport.

Singer songwriter Paul Simon was on hand for the unveiling of the tapestry of golden, silver, silk and cotton threads, lined with the poetry of Heaney.

“It’s always a good day when you can give a gift,” he said. “I think this is particularly lovely because of the magnitude of the gift and because of the recipients who are all the people of the world really, who are passing through Dublin Airport – soon to be renamed Seamus Heaney airport...”
Bono must be gutted.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies