Bonus points for doing Leaving Cert. through Irish- get rid of them!!!!!

DJP

I for one was open to the argument that students in Irish schools should have all of their textbooks available in Irish before the bonus points were dropped.

On more reflection and after re-reading this article last year by Kate Holmquist in The Irish Times I now am in favour of getting rid of them.

Students in Irish schools have generally spent at least five or six years in an all-Irish education system. Indeed the majority of them would have probably gone to all-Irish primary schools also.

The vast majority of them would be very fluent. And for those who aren't, well it must be their fault that they are not unless they have some kind of intellectual disability, seriously.

So given that the vast majority of students in second-level Irish schools are very fluent in Irish why should they get bonus points???

Spacewagon

I for one was open to the argument that students in Irish schools should have all of their textbooks available in Irish before the bonus points were dropped.

On more reflection and after re-reading this article last year by Kate Holmquist in The Irish Times I now am in favour of getting rid of them.

Students in Irish schools have generally spent at least five or six years in an all-Irish education system. Indeed the majority of them would have probably gone to all-Irish primary schools also.

The vast majority of them would be very fluent. And for those who aren't, well it must be their fault that they are not unless they have some kind of intellectual disability, seriously.

So given that the vast majority of students in second-level Irish schools are very fluent in Irish why should they get bonus points???
Because you would also be discriminating against those who havent been to all Irish schools.

'orebel

Why do you care?

EUrJokingMeRight

Nonsense, these bonus points only exist on paper, they are never applied. I went to all Irish primary and seconday, and took my leaving cert(honours) through Irish. The hilarious thing was that three of my friends, in english schools, with poor Irish got higher marks than I did in Irish. Hilarious!
Also honours physics, which I sat, I got a whole grade lower, a 'C', even though when I tallied my answers with the answers from paper, I was borderline 'A'. So, sorry the bonus never applies. Really you should get 10% of the marks you did not get. i.e. If you got 70% in your exam, you would be due 10% of the 30% you did not get, i.e. 3%. So doing your exam through Irish would bump you up to 73%. That is how is works I believe. The bonus should be kept and should be applied, but it is not generally, AFAIK.

DJP

Nonsense, these bonus points only exist on paper, they are never applied. I went to all Irish primary and seconday, and took my leaving cert(honours) through Irish. The hilarious thing was that three of my friends, in english schools, with poor Irish got higher marks than I did in Irish. Hilarious!
Also honours physics, which I sat, I got a whole grade lower, a 'C', even though when I tallied my answers with the answers from paper, I was borderline 'A'. So, sorry the bonus never applies. Really you should get 10% of the marks you did not get. i.e. If you got 70% in your exam, you would be due 10% of the 30% you did not get, i.e. 3%. So doing your exam through Irish would bump you up to 73%. That is how is works I believe. The bonus should be kept and should be applied, but it is not generally, AFAIK.
I am confused here. You went to an all-Irish should and do not know how the bonus points work??? It is 10% of the mark you get. If you get 70% then you get bumped upto 77%. And that result on your Physics exam is unbelievable. You should have got close to an A and you got a C? I hope you got onto the Department to make sure that whoever corrected it will never be correcting them again.

Proposition Joe

Should be scrapped for maths -
The bonus is already at halved for Maths:

State Examination Commission - Candidates

Given that Honours Maths is one of the few LC subjects examined at an appropriately challenging level, it would be a pity to single it out in this way.

If anything, we need to incentivize far more students to take honours, not take away the few incentives that are already there.

DJP

The bonus is already at halved for Maths:

State Examination Commission - Candidates

Given that Honours Maths is one of the few LC subjects examined at an appropriately challenging level, it would be a pity to single it out in this way.

If anything, we need to incentivize far more students to take honours, not take away the few incentives that are already there.
I presumed that writing in Irish or English is not involved in honours Maths. Merely that you do, maths.

DJP

No idea - but i am damn certain the native language is favored, insisted on, required.
There is no logical argument that Irish should not be required in school up until Junior Cert. and optional for Leaving Cert.

EUrJokingMeRight

I am confused here. You went to an all-Irish should and do not know how the bonus points work??? It is 10% of the mark you get. If you get 70% then you get bumped upto 77%. And that result on your Physics exam is unbelievable. You should have got close to an A and you got a C? I hope you got onto the Department to make sure that whoever corrected it will never be correcting them again.
Micheart!! No that is not how it works. It is not a 10% bonus mark, of the mark you got. Let me explain. If what you say were true, then consider the following..
See if someone gets 95% and then 10% of that i.e. 9.5% bonus points for doing it through Irish. Then their final mark is 95%+9.5% is 104.5%. Which is a really good mark ha ha!:D
My way would bring them to 95.5%
Your way brings it to 104.5% which is not possible in an exam!
;)
And what is unbelievable is my mates who could hardly speak Irish whipping me by a whole grade higher! Gas!

EUrJokingMeRight

It is, now.
Do you have a link for that? I would find that amazing. If it is true then no wonder people are getting upset, but I cannot see how it is. Did someone tell you this or have you actually got some sort of evidence to this end. In my experience there has always been huge confusion in this area. And I was told by someone who corrected exams answered through Irish, so I would have to believe what he told me. All those many years ago!:D

Proposition Joe

My daughter did Hons maths with irish and it was a joke - if you want to incentivise it then do what some colleges are doing and offer extra CAO points for all students.
Do that too.

Everything possible should be done to incentivize some improvement on the pathetic numbers currently taking Honours Maths.

The point is that taking away this bonus for Irish from Maths alone (and not say French, German, Italian, Spanish, Applied Math, Accounting, Engineering, Construction Studies, Materials Technology, Metalwork, Technology, Typewriting, Russian, or Japanese) would be enough to tip the balance for a few hundred students of Gaelcholáiste to drop down to pass.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies