• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Books Ireland Magazine

S

Starkadder

Does anyone else read this publication? The current issue
has some interesting articles, including one by Roy Johnston
on the Civil Rights movement in NI.

Fred Johnston

Interesting indeed . . . . but tamed

For years I was the main poetry reviewer with Books Ireland. I endeavoured throughout that time to make my pieces interesting and topical. I was eventually told that I could no longer editorialise. I suspected, but could never prove, that publishers (and even The Arts Council, which supports the magazine) were not happy with what I wrote. In this context it should be noted that, under the excellent editorship of the writer, Kevin Kiely, a new writing section had been going for some time until the Arts Council inexplicably objected to it and it was killed off.
I wrote on, until I was informed that a complaint had been lodged (nothing legal, mind) of such eminence that it had frightened the editor. I was removed from my post and the details of that letter were never revealed to me, in spite of various entreaties, though the author's name was. The Irish Daily Mail covered the story at the time. That such dark business goes on in the literary world should surprise no one. But I remember a different, more vibrant magazine. More courageous, too. But my experience has rather tainted my view.

oscartango

That such dark business goes on in the literary world should surprise no one.

It doesn't - they are b1tches of the first order.

hughmac

The new Books Ireland, now published by Wordwell Press, will be launched on Tuesday evening, March 4th 2014, at Dubray Bookshop, Grafton Street, Dublin at 6.30pm, with the first issue for March/April ...