• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Booming business for Irish Sheriffs seizing assets for debt collection

patslatt

See In Ireland, the Sheriff Is the Repo Man - BusinessWeek

It's an ill wind that blows nobody good as shown by the booming business of the 16 self-employed Sheriffs appointed by the Justice Ministry. They were busy seizing assets related to about €600 million in unpaid taxes last year. Presumably defaulted private sector debt including that of banks is many times that figure.

An interesting question is the extent to which business debtors in default have legally evaded the High Court and the Sheriff by transferring ownership of assets to family members or selling assets off at a low cost to companies controlled by family members and friends.

hammer

Sheriff's senior official resigns after €795,000 tax settlement
Wednesday, March 9, 2011

DOMINIC COYLE, Deputy Business Editor, and LAURA SLATTERY

A SENIOR official in the Dublin city sheriff’s office resigned yesterday after agreeing a €795,000 settlement with the Revenue Commissioners

hammer

I was amazed that he only resigned the day it was published.

Obviously the settlement would have been agreed previously.

That`s Ireland for you.

Wombat2010

I was amazed that he only resigned the day it was published.

Obviously the settlement would have been agreed previously.

That`s Ireland for you.
Tax issues are fully confidential until there is a publication. I understand it was a personal matter.

hammer

We have a future :) now that DELUDED Fianna FAIL IMF Anglo have been removed from the pitch :)