Border in the Irish sea...... Boris says NO

Mickeymac

It indicates that Brexit is still going to be a big issue for a long time to come.

There is going to be a cost to this country.

The media were, however, scoffing at how little it was an issue in the election.

Wait till this time next year.

No pal..... only the gutter element of Brit/Irish media.

firefly123

The new Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Brandon Lewis, has said there will be NO border in the Irish Sea.

The RTE Brussels reporter Tony Connolly says the British take the view that the Working Committee empowered to looked at the requirements is just a talking shop for further negotiation.

Perfidious Albion at its best! The EU cannot accept this, and the Working Committee's meetings will be short.

It also puts a hard border back on the table. Most unwelcome for the Irish Government - I am sure Mr Varadkar will be calling Mr Johnson, and Mr Coveney arranging a meeting with Mr Lewis.

it is 0 days since the Brits are at it again!

AhNowStop

The new Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Brandon Lewis, has said there will be NO border in the Irish Sea.

The RTE Brussels reporter Tony Connolly says the British take the view that the Working Committee empowered to looked at the requirements is just a talking shop for further negotiation.

Perfidious Albion at its best! The EU cannot accept this, and the Working Committee's meetings will be short.

It also puts a hard border back on the table. Most unwelcome for the Irish Government - I am sure Mr Varadkar will be calling Mr Johnson, and Mr Coveney arranging a meeting with Mr Lewis.

talk is cheap ... bluster & waffle apart, the Brits are simply NOT going to commit economic suicide

The recent resurgence of the unionist placatory “never ever going to happen” bridge is proof enough of that ... for anyone who wants to see

the “regulatory border” will be in the only place it ever could be since this nonsense all started... right down the Irish Sea

Mickeymac

talk is cheap ... bluster & waffle apart, the Brits are simply NOT going to commit economic suicide

The recent resurgence of the unionist placatory “never ever going to happen” bridge is proof enough of that ... for anyone who wants to see

the “regulatory border” will be in the only place it ever could be since this nonsense all started... right down the Irish Sea

You said it from day one, well done sir.

Cnoc a Leassa

It could be a major issue within months.
Tommy Gorman seemed uncharacteristically downbeat about the next phase of the Brexit negotiations after the Boris reshuffle and a new NI Secretary was announced. His comments about “attempts to revisit Brexit” and that Boris is headed for “hard Brexit” speak to a challenging year ahead for the trade negotiations.

shiel

Tommy Gorman seemed uncharacteristically downbeat about the next phase of the Brexit negotiations after the Boris reshuffle and a new NI Secretary was announced. His comments about “attempts to revisit Brexit” and that Boris is headed for “hard Brexit” speak to a challenging year ahead for the trade negotiations.
Brexit has not gone away.

The fact that election candidates scoffed at the idea that it should have been merely mentioned in the campaign is complacency.

The no deal Brexit and the hard border will rise as issues again in my opinion.

I hope I am wrong.

owedtojoy

Gorman is one of the shrewdest commentators around, and pretty well clued in. He had taken a shine to Julian Smith, as had the Irish Government. Clearly, they were happy with him as the right man for the job, the Northern pols were happy ... but not Dominic Cummings.

Smith was probably not enthusiastic for breaking agreements within months of making them.

I noted Gorman's grim demeanour as well.

Gin Soaked

It indicates that Brexit is still going to be a big issue for a long time to come.

There is going to be a cost to this country.

The media were, however, scoffing at how little it was an issue in the election.

Wait till this time next year.
Brexit was best summed up as the big cows that were far away (may not happen badly and may be delayed for years) versus housing which is small but immediately in front of you (high rent so cant save, high cost so can't afford to buy). (Ciaran cuff, Feb 9th).

Our election took place when there was a perception that perfidious Albion would adhere to a border in the Irish sea, neutering Brexit and emboldening reunification.

So we got an election with a backdrop delusion of a fixed brexit.

Housing/pensions/ health would still have been massive.

Gin Soaked

Last SoS was an intelligent, moral (for a tory), independent person who took his brief seriously. He was an outlier.

We have a new cabinet of ever greater Yes men and morons. And a SoS who may or may not have bothered looking up NI on wikipedia.

This is why it is depressing. Add into the mix that we could end up with belligerent opposit numbers from Ireland (who will at least, be well informed on NI. - EU could be mixed) .

shiel

Last SoS was an intelligent, moral (for a tory), independent person who took his brief seriously. He was an outlier.

We have a new cabinet of ever greater Yes men and morons. And a SoS who may or may not have bothered looking up NI on wikipedia.

This is why it is depressing. Add into the mix that we could end up with belligerent opposit numbers from Ireland (who will at least, be well informed on NI. - EU could be mixed) .
We need an election now.

Gin Soaked

We need an election now.
Seriously?

We are not yet done with the Rennie and peppermint tea after the last one.

In fact, we are still b1tching about how the bill was split in the taxi back home.

I would add that FG and FF are wrong to dismiss SF outright.

Set what criteria are needed for them to be coalition partners. These will be unachievable as certain tenets would need to be changed as policy for programme for govt. And then there is the arithmetic of the programme for govt.

But this would take the sting out of exclusion for being SF.

And I say this as a Blue shirt.

shiel

Seriously?

In fact, we are still b1tching about how the bill was split in the taxi back home.

Set what criteria are needed for them to be coalition partners. These will be unachievable as certain tenets would need to be changed as policy for programme for govt. And then there is the arithmetic of the programme for govt.

The morning Ireland report was being a bit biased when it said that having an election is not supported.

The support for having another election is nearly the same as for various coalitions.

We need to decide if we want a high spending left wing government or a low spending right wing government and who is going to run either.

The present figures are a vote for chaos and are untenable.

Surkov

Seriously?

IT will be a FG/FF coalition. Has to be, unless you want Mary Lou and her 'up the RA!' friend in power.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies