Bored to death at work?

farnaby

Is there such a thing as 'bore out'? - BBC News

Boredom expert Dr Sandi Mann says workplace boredom is a growing problem and a "significant source of stress" for many people.
It can have "severe" consequences including reduced life expectancy, she says, highlighting a study of 7,000 UK civil servants which found very bored workers were more likely to die during a 24-year research period than those who were not bored.
Ok, we've all been there*, bored off our tittes in work and imagining a life of genuine fulfillment in a more meaningful career.

But the whining tone of some of those portrayed in the article grates against the fact that most of historical humanity has done grinding soul-destroying labour exposed to the elements and/or teetered on the brink of starvation.

First-world problem. Go get another job or browse the likes of p.ie all day. And FFS don't let sociology graduates think that "boredom expert" is a necessary and meaningful career path.

*apart from all you work-shy scroungers on "disability" or "in college". You know who you are.

Henry94.

The solution to boredom at work is to do some actual work. It makes the day fly by.

Gurdiev77

I have a genuinely fulfilling and meaningful career.....but still fckn bored to death.

Oh to be public service and looking forward to a 25 year pension.

ill be working til I fall off the donkey.

twokidsmanybruises

I like my job a lot, but the downside is that it doesn't pay that well relative to other jobs I could be doing. And it has moments of boredom and tedium, usually involving reports and paperwork.

I used to have a different career, it paid far better, but I really didn't enjoy it. Too many pointless tasks and very little sense of personal reward. I don't regret changing for an instant.

The point being, work is work. It's not always fun. It it were always fun you would pay to do it, not be paid to do it.

ger12

Changed jobs a couple of times in the last two years having spent a decade in one place. The current position is a really nice "fit" ... Not bored :)

Therightroad

Its one of the biggest drawbacks of been in the public service is boredom.
Theres only so many sites you can look at during the day.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
I brew up awesome farts to keep my cellmates on their toes

There is never boredom around me...screeching...retching maybe...

cyp

firefly123

I have a genuinely fulfilling and meaningful career.....but still fckn bored to death.

Oh to be public service and looking forward to a 25 year pension.

ill be working til I fall off the donkey.
Publicjobs.ie

You're welcome.

RodShaft

I get paid a high hourly rate, but not as high as it used to be when I worked for a large organisation.

I tend to work as little as possible comensurate with having funds to enjoy myself.

Barna

Is there such a thing as 'bore out'? - BBC News

Ok, we've all been there*, bored off our tittes in work and imagining a life of genuine fulfillment in a more meaningful career.

But the whining tone of some of those portrayed in the article grates against the fact that most of historical humanity has done grinding soul-destroying labour exposed to the elements and/or teetered on the brink of starvation.

First-world problem. Go get another job or browse the likes of p.ie all day. And FFS don't let sociology graduates think that "boredom expert" is a necessary and meaningful career path.

*apart from all you work-shy scroungers on "disability" or "in college". You know who you are.
Like the Irish PS.
Underworked and overpaid.

Accidental sock

I'm just too good at life, therefore can't find any job challenging, hence occasional boredom.

Now I've taken on a second job fighting super-villains.

Gwannow

I worked for the civil service for awhile and hated every minute of it - not the actual work but the lazy b*stards around me; mostly women, taking 20 minutes smoke breaks 5 or 6 times a day. In addition to that they would continue gossiping while their phones kept ringing until one of us who actually did some work would answer for them. I then got a better education and got a fantastic job that I love.

gatsbygirl20

I worked for the civil service for awhile and hated every minute of it - not the actual work but the lazy b*stards around me; mostly women, taking 20 minutes smoke breaks 5 or 6 times a day. In addition to that they would continue gossiping while their phones kept ringing until one of us who actually did some work would answer for them. I then got a better education and got a fantastic job that I love.
I worked in a publishers in London and it was exactly the same.....despite the job being in the main exciting and absorbing, there were a few people who did as little as possible, allowing those with a work ethic to pick up the slack.

But because of a mad incompetent basstard of a manager, these idlers were cherished because they knew how to flatter and suck up to the mad manager who demanded total sycophancy....admittedly, the idlers had more time than the rest of us for sucking up, back-stabbing, fawning, lying, laying false trails, and other essential office skills....

However, we were all happy. Those of us who liked working but were bad at sucking up to managers, were fulfilled in our work

The idlers were happy because they had plenty of time to perfect their sucking-up skills

The mad manager was happy because he liked being sucked up to.

And the real work got done anyway by the rest of us, who enjoyed working.

Great days.

New Threads

Most Replies