• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Boring old non sectarian stuff

devonish

So, whilst parades and bonfires etc make the headlines here, Conor McGinn and Stella Creasy attempt to move us all into the 21st century, much to the fury of Nigel and his band of puritans. I have my doubts as to whether or not the legislation will be enacted but would be good to see something positive for NI come out of Westminster given the all time most useless NI Secretary.

raetsel

So, whilst parades and bonfires etc make the headlines here, Conor McGinn and Stella Creasy attempt to move us all into the 21st century, much to the fury of Nigel and his band of puritans. I have my doubts as to whether or not the legislation will be enacted but would be good to see something positive for NI come out of Westminster given the all time most useless NI Secretary.

These changes are now inevitable and it is only a matter of time before they are implemented. It will probably be brought to pass over our heads at Westminster by the next Labour government whenever they manage to get rid of that stupid, useless, dishonest bearded bollocks and become electable again.
Edit: I didn't read that fully. If I now understand this correctly it should happen after October, if the Assembly isn't restored. Or will it?

Last edited:

Ireniall

Yes-one of the worst things about two Irelands is the need for two massive fights over abortion.

Round tower

These changes are now inevitable and it is only a matter of time before they are implemented. It will probably be brought to pass over our heads at Westminster by the next Labour government whenever they manage to get rid of that stupid, useless, dishonest bearded bollocks and become electable again.
Edit: I didn't read that fully. If I now understand this correctly it should happen after October, if the Assembly isn't restored. Or will it?
I expect Nigel Godds wont be long changing his mind yesterday in the HOC he was calling for this, Brittish direct rule in NI

raetsel

David Trimble apparently has changed his mind on same sex marriage, as a result of his own daughter's marriage to another woman. To his credit he has accepted the situation and has spoken honestly about it.
However it shouldn't take a personal experience coming to your own door, so to speak, to bring a change of heart on issues like this. All that is needed is a bit of empathy. It is a quality which is sadly in short supply among right wing anti-liberals.

Speaking in the Lords during the debate on MPs voting in favour of introducing same-sex marriage and liberalising abortion in Northern Ireland, Lord Trimble said they were "delicate matters".

"I have found myself taking a particular position with regard to same-sex marriage," he told peers, "which was forced upon me when my elder daughter got married to her girlfriend.

"I cannot change that, and I cannot now go around saying that I am opposed to it because I acquiesced to it. There we are."

mr_anderson

David Trimble apparently has changed his mind on same sex marriage, as a result of his own daughter's marriage to another woman. To his credit he has accepted the situation and has spoken honestly about it.
Can't remember what comedian said it (could have been Chappelle), but it was to the effect that you should be very careful who you hate, because they inevitably end up in your house.

Degeneration X

However it shouldn't take a personal experience coming to your own door, so to speak, to bring a change of heart on issues like this. All that is needed is a bit of empathy. It is a quality which is sadly in short supply among right wing anti-liberals.

Trimble turning out like McAleese, ie it's different when a member of your family is involved.

Mickeymac

Its apparent to all at last that unionist politicos have been extremely hypocritical on all of this, question though, how come Ulster radio phone in shows have not covered this latest revelation, if it were any other Nobel winner it would have been tops.?

mr_anderson

Its apparent to all at last that unionist politicos have been extremely hypocritical on all of this, question though, how come Ulster radio phone in shows have not covered this latest revelation, if it were any other Nobel winner it would have been tops.?

What was Jim Molyneaux's official stance on the issue of homosexuality ?
(we all know his private one)

Mickeymac

What was Jim Molyneaux's official stance on the issue of homosexuality ?
(we all know his private one)

Get this straight, I have no issues with the gay community, in my post I am merely stating the rank hypocrisy of onionist politicos on the subject.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies