• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

McSlaggart

Marr said: "Let me ask you about your relationship, you mentioned Boris Johnson.

"You weren't terribly complimentary about him at the McGill Summer School about this time last year.

"You said, 'Anyone in Dublin who met Boris Johnson during his time as Foreign Secretary will tell you the many ways in which he failed to show the slightest level of understanding about the operations of the Good Friday Agreement.

"'I don't think anyone can credibly say he has thought through how he can promote property and reconciliation in Northern Ireland'.
Have you had second thoughts?"

parentheses

Later this year will be the crunch time when the withdrawal agreement expires.

Sync

Good answer by Martin. Since he gave that speech Bojo has given written commitments to give us everything we wanted. Martin's said we don't yet have all the details on how Bojo will give us those commitments. He'll either give do what he committed to or he'll breach the deal and drop his chances of a deal with the EU and US.

What else would we have wanted Martin/Leo/Mary Lou to have said to that question?

michael-mcivor

Unionist bonfires had KAT posters on them Irish flags and SInn Fein posters / Bobby Storey etc- same as in any other year-
its taking the Unionist longer than usual to catch on that the Torys have shafted them again- I full expect next years bonfires to be piled with pictures of the Boris Lundy-

Watcher2

Marr said: "Let me ask you about your relationship, you mentioned Boris Johnson.

"You weren't terribly complimentary about him at the McGill Summer School about this time last year.

"You said, 'Anyone in Dublin who met Boris Johnson during his time as Foreign Secretary will tell you the many ways in which he failed to show the slightest level of understanding about the operations of the Good Friday Agreement.

"'I don't think anyone can credibly say he has thought through how he can promote property and reconciliation in Northern Ireland'.
Have you had second thoughts?"

I was hoping for an embarrassment by Martin but I was disappointed. Storm in a tea cup unfortunately.

shiel

Good answer by Martin. Since he gave that speech Bojo has given written commitments to give us everything we wanted. Martin's said we don't yet have all the details on how Bojo will give us those commitments. He'll either give do what he committed to or he'll breach the deal and drop his chances of a deal with the EU and US.

What else would we have wanted Martin/Leo/Mary Lou to have said to that question?
Brexit, which Johnson supports, is a declaration that will have negative consequences for this country.

The seriousness of the consequences depends on whether there is either a deal or no deal.

The latter will have more serious consequences.

We will know soon when Johnson makes the decision.

neiphin

Brexit, which Johnson supports, is a declaration that will have negative consequences for this country.

The seriousness of the consequences depends on whether there is either a deal or no deal.

The latter will have more serious consequences.

We will know soon when Johnson makes the decision.
The English can never be free of Europe while they are shackled to NÍ
they know that, the PUL People know that
the English will drop the PUL People

they are leaving, that’s it , get used to it

shiel

The English can never be free of Europe while they are shackled to NÍ
they know that, the PUL People know that
the English will drop the PUL People

they are leaving, that’s it , get used to it
They are leaving but the conditions in which they leave have yet to be decided.

Do we have an all out economic war and the re-imposition of the border on this island?

Alternatively do we have an agreement which lessens economic and political differences as much as possible and which includes a very soft border on the Irish sea?

Which do you think will happen?

McSlaggart

Which do you think will happen?
It is the border in the Irish sea. The British proposal is based on them getting everything they want.

" The Cabinet Office has published a paper outlining its approach to carrying the agreement in the Irish Protocol. The paper delivers the promise of Boris Johnson on unfettered trade from NI to GB, but sets up a border for imports into NI from GB, albeit one with limited checks. "

Supra

Unionist bonfires had KAT posters on them Irish flags and SInn Fein posters / Bobby Storey etc- same as in any other year-
its taking the Unionist longer than usual to catch on that the Torys have shafted them again- I full expect next years bonfires to be piled with pictures of the Boris Lundy-
You'd have to think this is a small minority. I know plenty of Unionists and i assume none would support these signs and the burning of flags.

shiel

Great article on Brexit by Fintan O'Toole in todays Irish Times [News Review section].

He sums up the present situation in the following terms:

'For the Brexiteers ... there are only two ways in which the outcome of the current negotiations can be sufficiently dramatic; either the EU capitulates to all of Britain's demands, or Britain tears up the withdrawal agreement and stomps off into international outlawry.'

Which is going to happen?

Sidewindered

You'd have to think this is a small minority. I know plenty of Unionists and i assume none would support these signs and the burning of flags.
Well it is just a small minority. Any trouble around the Glorioush Twalf or the Eleventh Night is almost all concentrated on a small number of extremely deprived Loyalist sh1thole sink estates in North Belfast. This year the gratuitously-offensive bonfires were nearly all around Tigers Bay

In most of the rest of the North the local Orange Order consists of about 23 geriatric farmers who have their wee shuffle down the street then retire for a nice cup of tea and a heated debate on cattle prices.

It suits the pro-British and Partitionist mindset of RTE and the Dublin media to overly hype the scary dangers of the wild and savage Nordie Hordes but when you look at the reality, what we really have here are a handful of abandoned and economically and educationally deprived estates full of people with ho prospects and no hope. It won't take long at all to set them on the right path to a more productive prosperous future with skills and jobs.

Supra

Well it is just a small minority. Any trouble around the Glorioush Twalf or the Eleventh Night is almost all concentrated on a small number of extremely deprived Loyalist sh1thole sink estates in North Belfast. This year the gratuitously-offensive bonfires were nearly all around Tigers Bay

In most of the rest of the North the local Orange Order consists of about 23 geriatric farmers who have their wee shuffle down the street then retire for a nice cup of tea and a heated debate on cattle prices.

It suits the pro-British and Partitionist mindset of RTE and the Dublin media to overly hype the scary dangers of the wild and savage Nordie Hordes but when you look at the reality, what we really have here are a handful of abandoned and economically and educationally deprived estates full of people with ho prospects and no hope. It won't take long at all to set them on the right path to a more productive prosperous future with skills and jobs.
Yes, I think this too.
It's not only partitionists mindsets, if the idiot nationalists getting offended and tweeting graffiti and bonfires to further push their false victimization at the hands of these small groups in deprived areas.

Lord Talbot

The south has more deprivation than NI.

shiel

Google All Ireland HP Deprivation Index.

The south has more deprivation than NI (and its not even close).
I did so and could only get all Ireland data for 2011.

That was at the time of the bailout.

Could not get more up to date stuff.

Perhaps you could do it better than I can.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom