• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Boris Johnson shows us all why he could never lead the Tories.

Sync

[video=youtube;1j12VvolRMs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j12VvolRMs[/video]

Oh my goodness this is gloriously bad stuff from Boris. Discussing a new documentary which quite frankly appears to place a knife squarely in his chest, Boris showed up on the Marr show for a bit of a chat. That chat covers off his getting fired from the Times for faking a quote, multiple lies he's told to his management, and offering to provide information which he was told would lead to someone being assaulted.

Boris fails to answer any of these points, tries desperately to escape point after point from Eddie Mair who just eviscerates him on air. Just a fantastic piece, excellent work from Mair, it's one of the most damaging interviews I've ever seen.

Mitsui2

it's one of the most damaging interviews I've ever seen.
The audio's banjoed on the laptop I'm on at the moment. but - coming as it does from a connoisseur such as your good self - this statement has me champing at the bit. I'll be watching this clip on the PC with my coffee first thing in the morning. Boris is long overdue an evisceration.

storybud1

Oh my goodness this is gloriously bad stuff from Boris. Discussing a new documentary which quite frankly appears to place a knife squarely in his chest, Boris showed up on the Marr show for a bit of a chat. That chat covers off his getting fired from the Times for faking a quote, multiple lies he's told to his management, and offering to provide information which he was told would lead to someone being assaulted.

Boris fails to answer any of these points, tries desperately to escape point after point from Eddie Mair who just eviscerates him on air. Just a fantastic piece, excellent work from Mair, it's one of the most damaging interviews I've ever seen.
Watched the first 5 minutes and Boris gives an honest and fair minded answer to immigration despite the typical lefty BBC Mair who is trying everything to insert the word leech regarding welfare tourists. I would love to be Mairs boss and tell him that positive discrimination is a new BBC policy and his job is going to a Polish/Sudanese/Nigerian/Chinese person.(betcha he would think differently then) Boris rightly talked about talented hard working immigrants while Mair is just another Labour lefty lickass.

devoutcapitalist

johnson is a crackpot and a buffoon, cameron and tory establishment would be well advised not to have anything to do with him.

Watched the first 5 minutes and Boris gives an honest and fair minded answer to immigration despite the typical lefty BBC Mair who is trying everything to insert the word leech regarding welfare tourists. I would love to be Mairs boss and tell him that positive discrimination is a new BBC policy and his job is going to a Polish/Sudanese/Nigerian/Chinese person.(betcha he would think differently then) Boris rightly talked about talented hard working immigrants while Mair is just another Labour lefty lickass.
I highly suggest you watch the next ten minutes, lest you go away with the wrong impression.

If only there was an Irish interviewer prepared to confront Irish politicians in the same way (and no, not a blustering narcissist like Vincent Browne). Would have come in very handy during the Ahern years...

RobertW

Considering Johnson was born in New York he has interesting views on immigration.

Johnson plays up to the bumbling idiot with the floppy blond hair and shirt hanging out very well. . . He knows it's a vote winner as it's so untypical of a leading politician in Britain.

I've never really felt he would be seriously considered a Tory leader in the end although he's definitely planning . . Hence the documentary. Others, like Adam Afriyie (the Tories own Obama), will step forward in 2015 to challenge Cameron.

From the interview it seems he's given Michael Howard some power of him by claiming that he never had a conversation with Howard over his affair.

The last minute or so is cringeworthy from a senior politician in his position.

Mitsui2

I highly suggest you watch the next ten minutes, lest you go away with the wrong impression.
bud1 tends to go away from stuff with the same impression that he brought to it.

It's a kind of filter mechanism that relieves one of such tiresome mechanisms as thinking, and all that other creepy "leftie" stuff.

Fair play to the man, though, he seems to thrive on it.

Mitsui2

Others, like Adam Afriyie (the Tories own Obama)

As a phrase, that's right up there with "The Liberal Democrats' own Pol Pot", "UKIP's own Martin Luther King", "the Tea Party's own Malcolm X" or (in Irish terms) "the Labour Party's own James Connolly"!

InsideImDancing

I don't think he has lost too many votes tbh, doubt he'll ever make PM, I really hope he does though.

Imagine charlie bucket and Borry being King and Prime Minister of GB?;)

Dorris

If only there was an Irish interviewer prepared to confront Irish politicians in the same way (and no, not a blustering narcissist like Vincent Browne). Would have come in very handy during the Ahern years...

The problem for the Irish "Eddie" is that he would be running into the "friends" of Karloff every where he tried to go,

wodden stand a chance, except maybe on the gallows!!

GDPR

Someone must have doctored the piece since you put it up, it the version that's there now Boris seems to come out of it quite well.

Dorris

He is a nasty piece of work. I met him momentarily in Condor cycles ten or so years ago, it was crowded and he stepped back on to my toes and immediately said,"I'm terribly sorry" straight at me, I copied his voice and tone exactly and said,"don't mention it". The look of murder that ran through his eyes for half a second was something I'll never forget. He had no idea what my real voice sounded like .He does now because I met him again in another bike shop. I saw him again in CycleSurgery and he managed better that day but really, without a script he is high on hopelessness, as you can see here!! Eddie Meir was an anchor man on "Today", Radio 4's early morning news program, I did in know he'd moved. Nobody other than me in either shop had any idea who he was, but cyclists are like that, especially the racers!!

corelli

I did not think he was any worse than usual. He rarely gets a good, proper, hard interview. It's usually only the good news, soft, stuff where he gets to expound on whatever given subject and patted on the back.

He may well be Prime Minister, he would be popular. Crap, not there long and useless, but popular while it lasted.

GDPR

I did not think he was any worse than usual. He rarely gets a good, proper, hard interview. It's usually only the good news, soft, stuff where he gets to expound on whatever given subject and patted on the back.

He may well be Prime Minister, he would be popular. Crap, not there long and useless, but popular while it lasted.
I know nothing about the man, good, bad or indifferent, except I know he got himself into trouble with the people of Liverpool, but even there I don't know the details. He is a Tory I know and I wouldn't generally be well disposed there, but about him I know nothing really.

Is it at all possible that this thread is a case of people with a previous bias seeing and hearing what they want to see and hear?

corelli

Even the pro-Boris Tory press disagrees, and no bleeding-heart liberals they. It was universally seen in Britain as a disastrous performance by Johnson and a very good one by Mair.

Video: Boris Johnson: not true that I am a 'nasty piece of work' - Telegraph

Nasty? Not exactly. But after that TV ambush, Boris's rise doesn't look quite so irresistible | Mail Online
I must be so used to horrendous Irish politicians being interviewed, ad nausiem, that I don't even know a bad interview anymore, when I see one.

Pretty bad press alright.

picador

I fail to see how any of these matters mean Boris could never lead the bunch of complete shysters known as the Tories.

1. Starting out as journalist - made-up a quote about an archaeological dig. Paid heavy price for it. Had highly successful career as journalist nontheless. Has not been accused of hacking anyone's phone.
2. Lied-about an extra-marital affair. Enough said.
3. Gave a journalist's phone-number to a friend who said he was going to beat the journalist up. No-one was beaten up. In any case you cant beat someone up just by having their phone-number.

It might stop the Tories from ditching Cameron in the short-term but Boris will bounce back.

So really this is nonsense.