Boris to be London Mayor

President Bartlet

It now seems increasingly likely that given the Labour Party in Britain's dreadful election results that Red Ken Livingstone will be ejected as Mayor of London and be replaced by Boris the Bafoon Johnston. The fun that the media will have - I think it will be great watching him make a pigs breakfast of it at times. Downing St sources fear he has won.
Bring back Tony Blair all is forgiven - Brown is an electoral liability.
Will the same fate befall Fianna Fail with Cowan taking over. How long before we say - come back Berite all is forgiven?

popper

Re: Boris the Bafoon to be London Mayor

Apparently it does not look as certain this morning that Johnson will be lected as it did when the council results started coming in but he's still favourite to win.

A_man_about_a_dog

Watching the election ocverage on BBC last night, the various Tory pundits were openly admitting that Boris would be a major liability going towards the general election, should he make into office. All of them were saying that David Cameron and Tory HQ would have to keep him on a short rein and make sure that he was not allowed to make appointments all on his own.

If he's elected I reckon they'll need to do a hell of a lot more than that to try and make his time as mayor a success. Perhaps they should consider locking him in a room for the duration of his term?

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie

Boris is a character but he's politically sound; a good unapologetic Thatcherite.

Eddiepops

Keith-M said:
Boris is a character but he's politically sound; a good unapologetic Thatcherite.
Jesus, that's the problem. I don't think many Londoners miss her, it was never exactly her heartland.

Moving this thread to foreign affairs

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo

Nation wide the Labour party is not stuffing tax payers money into the pockets of commnuity leaders like Livingston is in London. I do not think Boris will beat Ken. Livingston has too many people depending on generous handouts from city hall.

CrockerJarman

Keith-M said:
I hear the Boris victory tour begins tonight on the Breck Road in Liverpool. Kelvin McKenzie is handling the PR. ;)

sandar

Boris is far from a buffoon, a comedian he certainly is, but as shakespeare said, bewaare the jester. Boris has turned from being an anonymous backbencher to one of the best known politicians in Britain through his courting of celebrity status, his remarks about liverpool were controversial but not as far wrong as they were painted, he is portrayed as some sort of racist exenophobe despite having been born in new york to a family of mixed race english and turkish people, he won a schoalrship to eton, and another to oxford, both things which require brains, he has worked for three national newspapers including being editor of the very polemical spectator, and despite being an MP for just seven years he has held two positions on his parties front bench and been deputy chairman of the party, yes he does have a crumpled, muddled air about him, the absent minded p[rfessor stereotype, but I think people in Britain warm to that on many levels,. it was one of the things which initially heklped gordon brown, they dont want automatons, or politicans who are a little to obviously on the make, I dont know if boris will win, if he does and is a success then he will go very far in the party, if he fails it will be by a narrow marghin, but he will have boosted his profile

NeilW

Eddiepops said:
Keith-M said:
Jesus, that's the problem. I don't think many Londoners miss her, it was never exactly her heartland.
It was never the Tories' strongest region but Thatcher won London convincingly in each of her general election victories.

popper

Doesn't seem to be any tallying done over there. Not much indication of how it is going anyway.

NeilW

Keith-M said:
hopefully he'll start by cutting the fat out of ludicrous "public service" which is such a drain on the city and its people.
You mean the police and the transport system which take up the vast majority of the budget of the bodies under the Mayor's control?!

krayZpaving

Website
www.keith.gs
Just a note of caution - the London Mayoral election is run using a form of STV that the UK media aren't entirely familiar with. The result will likely come down to Lib Dem transfers, so a lot will depend on where they go. Predictions on transfers aren't yet the art in the UK that they are in Ireland.

DOD

Keith-M said:
I think you and Boris have a fair idea where you can stick your Thatcherism.

stopthetrain

President Bartlet said:
It now seems increasingly likely that given the Labour Party in Britain's dreadful election results that Red Ken Livingstone will be ejected as Mayor of London and be replaced by Boris the Bafoon Johnston. The fun that the media will have - I think it will be great watching him make a pigs breakfast of it at times. Downing St sources fear he has won.
Bring back Tony Blair all is forgiven - Brown is an electoral liability.
Will the same fate befall Fianna Fail with Cowan taking over. How long before we say - come back Berite all is forgiven?
Sometime people want new idea and all the rest of the sort, but it paramount to note that, a leader forced to resign in ''politics'' does like to critise the person that took over from them to portray that they're the best. :)

Furthermore, no one will be surprise by boris johnson wining the election anyway that's what i think and beside that voters may want new idea injected to the atmostphare that's the fact of the matter in 'politics'. :|

seamasdefaoite

krayZpaving said:
Just a note of caution - the London Mayoral election is run using a form of STV that the UK media aren't entirely familiar with. The result will likely come down to Lib Dem transfers, so a lot will depend on where they go. Predictions on transfers aren't yet the art in the UK that they are in Ireland.
considering all the lefty groups and their second preferences, Ken could actually convincingly win this over bonking boris. If he doesnt, God help us all. Britain under the Tories is a Britain in Trouble

DOD

seamasdefaoite said:
krayZpaving said:
considering all the lefty groups and their second preferences, Ken could actually convincingly win this over bonking boris. If he doesnt, God help us all. Britain under the Tories is a Britain in Trouble
Do you mean the Conservative party Tories or the labour Party tories? Or are you one of these naive people that still believes there to be a difference between the two parties.

stopthetrain

seamasdefaoite said:
krayZpaving said:
considering all the lefty groups Ken could actually convincingly win this over bonking boris. If he doesnt, God help us all. Britain under the Tories is a Britain in Trouble
Well legally and fundamentally, i dont think citizens has something to worry about insofar they follow the law not been sarcastic they've nothing to fear and beside that, it maybe better than labour time in london in terms of mayoral posittion to be honest. :|

sandar

There are a lot of fringe right wing groups as well who will transfer to Boris, but perhaps most importantly the Lib Den Partyn president has come out this week and asked Lib Dem voters to transfer to Boris, that is a major coup and could prove decisive.
It is true that a lot of the money under the mayors control goes on police and transport, and that is justified and not likely to be cut by Boris, but an insane amount is wasted on quangos and beuracracy, and it is the waste of council tax payers money which is the big issue over here.
I dont know that Boris is entirely a Thatcherite, he is not as patrician or as moralistic as thatchers crowd and is not advocating any privatisations, unlike Mayor Livingstone who has been involved in Privatisation

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies