Boy left in same home as abusive foster sibling.

davidcameron

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0529/878821-tusla-controversy/

In 2011 a young boy living in voluntary foster care, named 'Mark', told his birth mother he had been inappropriately touched by another male foster child twice his age. This child was also living with the same foster family.

The mother of 'Mark', 'Susan' said that she was distressed when told about the alleged abuse by her son, and disclosed this to the foster mother.

She said: "Obviously I was shocked ... he was quite distressed about it so when the foster mother came to pick him up I spoke to her about what my son had disclosed to me."

'Susan' discovered 'Mark' had made a similar allegation to his foster parent five weeks earlier but it had not been reported to the Health Service Executive.

She asked to have 'Mark' moved from the foster placement while an investigation took place, but this did not happen.
In late 2015 Tusla applied to the courts for a full care order for 'Mark'.
Last year the court ruled that 'Mark' will stay in care until the age of 18.

He continues to live with the same foster family to the present day, along with the older child alleged to have previously abused him.

This case begs several questions:

Why did Tusla not remove 'Mark' from this foster home?

Why did Tusla not inform the Gardaí?

Why did the judge not direct that the case be reported to the Gardaí?

fergal1790

The major issue I would have is with this part of that RTE report
Tusla fought to keep a child in a foster placement where the abuse was alleged to have occurred and without removing the risk itself.
'Susan' discovered 'Mark' had made a similar allegation to his foster parent five weeks earlier but it had not been reported to the Health Service Executive.
How the hell does that awful yank Zappone sleep at night?

TheWolf

Bad enough that TULSA tried to stitch up Maurice McCabe with child sex allegations, now they seem to be facilitating the sexual abuse of minors too.
What the f**k is it with this place and state facilitated abuse?

gerhard dengler

Your questions are something which TUSLA needs to address, and which our public representatives ensure that TUSLA addresses.

The deafening silence from "liberals" on this site, and far more importantly the silence of our national political "liberals" on this entire issue tells it's own sorry tale.

eoghanacht

Another apparatus of Irish officialdom is not fit for purpose.

I'm shocked, queue the defenders of the faith twisting this to suit their own agenda.

eoghanacht

Bad enough that TULSA tried to stitch up Maurice McCabe with child sex allegations, now they seem to be facilitating the sexual abuse of minors too.
What the f**k is it with this place and state facilitated abuse?
Classism.

Dregs, feral scum, dolies, inter-generational skangers, wasters just some of the titles bestowed on people of a certain socio-economic group.

Our prisons are full of lads from poor areas, rob an offie and you'll land in prison.

Bankrupt a country and the state will move to protect you so the crimes of the elite remained covered up.

damus

Any organisation that lacks the basic ability to work collaboratively with other child protection agencies is not fit for purpose. It's that simple.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
The more of this 'unfit for purpose' i keep hearing...it's only a matter of time before we realise the politicians themselves at the very top of the incompetence and wastage chart are utterly unfit for government.

This 'unfit' lark has been going on for so long now and always the same political gombeens are at the top of it. They are the unfit ones beyond any doubt.

eoghanacht

Any organisation that lacks the basic ability to work collaboratively with other child protection agencies is not fit for purpose. It's that simple.
It's purpose was to pretend the state was doing something...

And creating fake child abuse files for Garda whistle-blowers.

In that respect it's doing a fine job.

damus

It's purpose was to pretend the state was doing something...

And creating fake child abuse files for Garda whistle-blowers.

In that respect it's doing a fine job.
TUSLA only came into being because the HSE were being plagued by major failings in child welfare and protection. New organisation, same people, culture and problems.

Last edited:

Dame_Enda

Was this just an allegation or was it proved?

AGS and Tusla need to get on message.

davidcameron

Are judges legally obliged to report child abuse allegations in family law cases that they hear?

'orebel

TUSLA only came into being because the HSE were being plagued by major failings in child welfare and protection. New organisation, same people, culture and problems.
Much as the HSE too over from the health boards and SOLAS took over from FAS who took over from ANCO and Manpower. Nothing changes but the budgets get larger.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
True that the answer to alarming news in state agencies always seems to be a re-branding of sorts whether it be Tusla being spun out of the HSE with new branding or whatever the hell FAS is now called.

It saves having to root out the problem and of course the same managers and the same staff are at the 'new' organisation.

Also the rebranding costs are a chance for a minister sling a contract the way of a crony.

There would be a lot to be said for tackling front line issues head on- for example some of the unions involved in the PS and CS would back to the hilt any kind of negligent or malfeasant member but there would be some advantage in making the unions back such employees publicly.

This whole thing of PS and CS employees being regarded as unsackable and largely immune to disciplinary measures has to end.

Doesn't matter whether it is a front line employee at Tusla or a Manager who puts a child safety issue on the back burner and ignores it either should be taken to task and made to offer an explanation on the record.

Like any large organisation there will be good people trying to do a difficult job in it and chancers looking to avoid responsibility. If the former are discouraged by the latitude given to the latter then the whole organisation will eventually sink to the lowest common denominator- which is always set by the chancers.

Lest anyone think I'm having a pop at front line employees out of opportunity I would also say that responsibility must rest with the managers and they need to be explaining what the issue is in cases like this and the buck most stop at their desks.

TheWolf

Nice new name though.
Like Turas Nua, or jobbridge etc etc.....

damus

Nice new name though.
Like Turas Nua, or jobbridge etc etc.....
I nearly spat out my coffee when I heard Zappone's response to the latest incident to emerge from Oberstown....talk about not living in the real world. The centers director was assaulted and injured when three youths escaped from the detention center using a sledge hammer and angle grinder last night and Zappone comes out and says that "major improvements" have occurred at the centre in the last year. Perhaps Zappone would like to explain how the offenders managed to get their hands on a friggin sledge hammer and an angle grinder?

Two young people remain missing after absconding from Oberstown campus

TheWolf

Not in the 1990s. An offence called "reckless endangerment" was created in law in 2006.
Must be why Noonan didn't bother going to AGS with the details he was given of the rape and abuse of 'Grace' so....

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies