• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Boycotting Israel: a moral question. (Original Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny

For as long as I can remember I have boycotted Israeli goods as a result of their government's flagrant abuse of Palestinian human rights, and their consistent breach of UN Resolutions. Recently I was buying goods on Ebay and as usual, I duly checked out the goods' country of origin. I am normally very careful about this, as a lot of what I buy is supplied from the Middle East. Anyway, the Ebay entry stated "California, USA." "Grand", says I, and made payment, except when the goods arrived they were marked "Product of Israel." Now, I was rightly cheesed off with this deception, but seeing as how I had now broken my taboo, it got me thinking in a way I hadn't before.

By boycotting Israeli goods, was I simply punishing ordinary people who, like myself, are just trying to turn a few honest bob? Isn't boycotting Israeli goods really pointless unless it goes hand-in-hand with a similar boycott of USA goods, seeing as they underpin the regime? As an Irish Republican, should I also not be boycotting British goods because of their human rights abuses here and elsewhere? I mean, why just Israel?

All in all, is boycotting Israeli goods just a pointless, feel-good, "right-on", Ranelagh coffee morning-type activity for Westerners who just want to feel better about themselves?

Hewson

Well, I've been doing likewise. I do it because Israel stands out as a perennial breaker of basic human rights in the territories it occupies. The ongoing siege of Gaza, the daily harassment of Palestinian farmers and workers, the expansionist building on stolen land, the theft by diversion of water from Palestinian farms, internment without trial, savage bombing by cluster and white phosphorous bombs in urban areas . . .

And so on, ad nauseam.

It has aspirations towards being viewed as an open, free and democratic western state. It's certainly a democracy and most of its neighbours are rotten with corruption, but it has a long, long way to travel.

Dame_Enda

I also wish to boycott Israel insofar as practicable. Global Zionism has a stranglehold in some areas but there are things we can do to boycott the Israeli Apartheid Regime.

- Refuse contracts to Israeli companies. The largest co-op in Israel recently collapsed largely because of boycotts.
- Refuse contracts to non-Israeli companies such as Veolia that are operating in the settlements. Veolia runs light rail in East Jerusalem and the WB.
- The EU should impose economic sanctions and an arms embargo on Israel. If the most pro-Zionist countries leave such as the UK, this becomes easier.
- A ban or boycott by the Irish team of matches in Israel. UEFA are dominated by the Israel lobby and would probably punish us. But if enough countries join in they will have to listen.
- Boycott academic exchanges including student exchange programmes with universities located in the settlements, such as Ariel University. The govt must refuse student visas from the settlements.
- The EU should label goods from the settlements or ban them altogether.
- Participation in Israeli Apartheid Week lectures and rallies at Irish universities. In 2010, locations include Jerusalem, Amsterdam, Bard (NY), Beirut, Berkeley, Bethlehem, Bil'in, Bogota, Bologna, Boston, Cape Town, Caracas, Chicago, Connecticut, Duluth, Dundee, Durban, Eastern Cape, Edinburgh, Edmonton, Gaza, Glasgow, Guelph, Hamilton, Houston, Ireland, Jenin, Johannesburg, Kingston, London (ON), London (UK), Madrid, Melbourne, Minneapolis/St.Paul, Montréal, Nablus, New York City, Nil'in, Ottawa, Oxford, Peterborough, Pisa, Pretoria, Providence, Puebla, Roma, San Francisco, Seattle, Sudbury, Tilburg, Toronto, Truro (CA), Utrecht, Vancouver, Waterloo and Winnipeg.

The campaign should be modelled on that against the SA Apartheid regime. We need people standing outside Dunnes, Tesco etc. protesting against the sale of Israeli goods like Jaffa Oranges.

Everyone knows nothing hurts a Zionist more than getting hit in the pocket.

Troy_337

Boycotts -- an artifact of Irish history. :lol:

Last edited:

CookieMonster

I also wish to boycott Israel insofar as practicable. Global Zionism has a stranglehold in some areas but there are things we can do to boycott the Israeli Apartheid Regime.

- Refuse contracts to Israeli companies. The largest co-op in Israel recently collapsed largely because of boycotts.
- Refuse contracts to non-Israeli companies such as Veolia that are operating in the settlements. Veolia runs light rail in East Jerusalem and the WB.
- The EU should impose economic sanctions and an arms embargo on Israel. If the most pro-Zionist countries leave such as the UK, this becomes easier.
- A ban or boycott by the Irish team of matches in Israel. UEFA are dominated by the Israel lobby and would probably punish us. But if enough countries join in they will have to listen.
- Boycott academic exchanges including student exchange programmes with universities located in the settlements, such as Ariel University. The govt must refuse student visas from the settlements.
- Participation in Israeli Apartheid Week lectures and rallies at Irish universities. In 2010, locations include Jerusalem, Amsterdam, Bard (NY), Beirut, Berkeley, Bethlehem, Bil'in, Bogota, Bologna, Boston, Cape Town, Caracas, Chicago, Connecticut, Duluth, Dundee, Durban, Eastern Cape, Edinburgh, Edmonton, Gaza, Glasgow, Guelph, Hamilton, Houston, Ireland, Jenin, Johannesburg, Kingston, London (ON), London (UK), Madrid, Melbourne, Minneapolis/St.Paul, Montréal, Nablus, New York City, Nil'in, Ottawa, Oxford, Peterborough, Pisa, Pretoria, Providence, Puebla, Roma, San Francisco, Seattle, Sudbury, Tilburg, Toronto, Truro (CA), Utrecht, Vancouver, Waterloo and Winnipeg.

The campaign should be modelled on that against the SA Apartheid regime. We need people standing outside Dunnes, Tesco etc. protesting against the sale of Israeli goods like Jaffa Oranges.

You mean a Jew, don't you?

yanshuf

So you do think there should be a collective punishment after all!

Now you're talking.

Dame_Enda

You mean a Jew, don't you?
No I mean a Zionist. If you are a multinational and are profiting from the Occupation, then you are supporting the Zionist Apartheid statelet.

Meanwhile in the US, repression of pro-Palestinian activists like Students for Justice in Palestine continues, including condemnations from the University of California, police-intimidation and prosecutions for interrupting Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren's speech there. It has to be asked: who is pulling the strings behind the scenes to create this repression.

Barroso

That's interesting. Do you have any more details?
Interesting that there are no German cities on your list. Germany is Israel's biggest supporter in Europe, but their Nazi past stops them from criticising Israel's Nazi present. Such a shame.
True, but it was actually workers in Dunne's who refused to handle Israeli produce.
BTW, if you shop in Lidl or Aldi, be particularly careful, as much of their fruit etc. comes from Israel.
Ditto with Tesco, avocadoes, herbs, oranges.
And M&S are big buyers of Israeli produce.

Dame_Enda

That's interesting. Do you have any more details?
Interesting that there are no German cities on your list. Germany is Israel's biggest supporter in Europe, but their Nazi past stops them from criticising Israel's Nazi present. Such a shame.

True, but it was actually workers in Dunne's who refused to handle Israeli produce.
BTW, if you shop in Lidl or Aldi, be particularly careful, as much of their fruit etc. comes from Israel.
Ditto with Tesco, avocadoes, herbs, oranges.
And M&S are big buyers of Israeli produce.
M+S has always been a Zionist company to be fair.

To be fair Barroso I don't think Cookie is Hasbara because he has been on here forever and this wasn't the main issue he posted on. Yanshuf on the other hand. However I want to welcome Hasbara/Mossad to the board as it underlines they must be getting worried.

yanshuf

No I mean a Zionist. If you are a multinational and are profiting from the Occupation, then you are supporting the Zionist Apartheid statelet.

Meanwhile in the US, repression of pro-Palestinian activists like Students for Justice in Palestine continues, including condemnations from the University of California, police-intimidation and prosecutions for interrupting Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren's speech there. It has to be asked: who is pulling the strings behind the scenes to create this repression.

They shouldn't have interfered in his speech. They have many ways to protest. They don't have to interrupt speeches.

Troy_337

So you do think there should be a collective punishment after all!

Now you're talking.
[video=youtube;I5e6ftNpGsU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5e6ftNpGsU[/video]

ballot stuffer

You might want to turn off your computer and stop posting rubbish on the internet as it more than likely contains chips made in Israel.

Dame_Enda

They shouldn't have interfered in his speech. They have many ways to protest. They don't have to interrupt speeches.
What is it with the Zionist control-freaks. It is their country so Israel should mind its own business. Anyway they have something unimaginable in the US - the Fifth Amendment. The right to freedom of speech.
ballot stuff said:
You might want to turn off your computer and stop posting rubbish on the internet as it more than likely contains chips made in Israel.
Which is why I said "as far as practicable". I think this is an argument for greater investment by the EU in nano-technology in order to fight US/Israeli domination of the trade.

yanshuf

What is it with the Zionist control-freaks. It is their country so Israel should mind its own business. Anyway they have something unimaginable in the US - the Fifth Amendment. The right to freedom of speech.Which is why I said "as far as practicable". I think this is an argument for greater investment by the EU in nano-technology in order to fight US/Israeli domination of the trade.
The right to freedom of speech
Something the "protestrs" should take into account when they interrupt speeches.

titmouse

For as long as I can remember I have boycotted Israeli goods as a result of their government's flagrant abuse of Palestinian human rights, and their consistent breach of UN Resolutions. Recently I was buying goods on Ebay and as usual, I duly checked out the goods' country of origin. I am normally very careful about this, as a lot of what I buy is supplied from the Middle East. Anyway, the Ebay entry stated "California, USA." "Grand", says I, and made payment, except when the goods arrived they were marked "Product of Israel." Now, I was rightly cheesed off with this deception, but seeing as how I had now broken my taboo, it got me thinking in a way I hadn't before.

By boycotting Israeli goods, was I simply punishing ordinary people who, like myself, are just trying to turn a few honest bob? Isn't boycotting Israeli goods really pointless unless it goes hand-in-hand with a similar boycott of USA goods, seeing as they underpin the regime? As an Irish Republican, should I also not be boycotting British goods because of their human rights abuses here and elsewhere? I mean, why just Israel?

All in all, is boycotting Israeli goods just a pointless, feel-good, "right-on", Ranelagh coffee morning-type activity for Westerners who just want to feel better about themselves?
Yes, it's just a feel-good thing. Do you think what's been happening in Tibet or Chechnya is equally bad? If so, do you also boycott Chinese or Russian goods? You're clearly not boycotting American goods while they occupy Afghanistan!

Dame_Enda

Yes, it's just a feel-good thing. Do you think what's been happening in Tibet or Chechnya are equally bad? If so, do you also boycott Chinese or Russian goods? You're clearly not boycotting American goods while they occupy Afghanistan!
Afghanistan was self-defence becaus of 911. It's not comparable to 3 Israelis being killed over Gaza. Also unlike China, America has leverage over Israel (China is America's largest creditor nation). And unlike Russia, Israel is not a large oil-producer. So the West has more potential leverage over Israel, and hence why the case for using it is greater/ Having said that I would like more pressure on those other regimes too. It's less likely to be effective than pressure on Israel though. Also the fact that within 1967 borders, there is still some democracy in Israel - unlike Russia or China - makes the possibility of peaceful regime change there greater, in terms of a more dovish govt being elected because of pressure on Israel. After all pressure on SA ended Apartheid. So maybe it can also end Israeli Apartheid.

trueman

Good point mate! but we can only boycott what we can... That zionist, sh-thole sandpit is big in the software department, Making components for the likes of missiles, weapons of mass destruction, anything that can kill or maim, and the good old sneaky spying...

Barroso

Intel have a big factory in Israel, another in Ireland, another in China, and I assume they have plants in the US too.
I make sure that my computers don't have an Intel chip specifically because of their support for Israel, i.e. their plant in Israel.

I know that their main competitor, AMD, also has some sort of a facility in Israel, but at the moment it's the better bet of the two, as it is not in such a huge symbiosis with Israel. So forthe moment, I buy computers with an AMD chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.