• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Bradley Manning Pleads Guilty

Ulster-Lad

Bradley Manning has plead guilty to charges surrounding the Wikileaks affair. He plead guilty to "Misusing Classified Documents", a charge for which he can receive 20 years in prison. The most serious charge of "Aiding the Enemy" was dropped. He could have received Life in prison for that.

So he will probably have 20 years in Fort Leavenworth to look forward to. Supermax would be much better though. Good on him.

Bradley Manning pleads guilty to misusing classified data in WikiLeaks case | Reuters

Ulster-Lad

Looking at this story on CNN, apparently Manning plead guilty in the hopes the USG will not pursue the more serious charge against him of "Aiding the Enemy". This is what is known as a naked plea. But the USG still plans to pursue that charge apparently.

A military lawyer who follows the case told CNN the tactic is known as a "naked plea," or a guilty plea in the absence of a plea deal. The lawyer said that by using that strategy, the defense apparently hopes the government will feel victorious about the guilty pleas Manning has entered and won't go through the effort of a trial.However, in previous hearings, the prosecution has said it intends to pursue convictions on the remaining charges.

If his case proceeds, Manning has asked for Lind, instead of the military equivalent of a jury, to decide his guilt or innocence on the 11 charges to which he pleaded not guilty.
Pfc. Manning admits leaking classified material that 'upset' him to WikiLeaks - CNN.com

B

Boggle

That country gives me the creeps these days.
Land of the weak and the home of the slave...

Ulster-Lad

That country gives me the creeps these days.
Land of the weak and the home of the slave...
It seems that in addition to Gilmore other people support law breaking in the US. ;)

james5001

It seems that in addition to Gilmore other people support law breaking in the US. ;)
I would have supported law breaking in Ireland in 1913. See what I'm getting at?

imokyrok

GDPR

Chris Hedges is a journalist with a strong sense of ethics and usually worth a read. I though this article was excellent. Bradley Manning will likely rot in jail the rest of his life which is a tragedy and the US resembles the old USSR more and more as time goes by which is also a tragedy.

After Revealing Atrocities of Asymmetrical Warfare, Manning Will Face Asymmetrical Trial
He is ultimately the cause of Assange's incarceration in a tiny London embassy so.

Ulster-Lad

Chris Hedges is a journalist with a strong sense of ethics and usually worth a read. I though this article was excellent. Bradley Manning will likely rot in jail the rest of his life which is a tragedy and the US resembles the old USSR more and more as time goes by which is also a tragedy.

After Revealing Atrocities of Asymmetrical Warfare, Manning Will Face Asymmetrical Trial
Manning made the decision to violate regulations, agreements, and his oath. He deserves whatever he gets.

Dan_Murphy

Manning made the decision to violate regulations, agreements, and his oath. He deserves whatever he gets.
Yes, he was probably wrong for leaking some of the stuff he did, but at the same time some of the stuff he released the people of the US should have known about.

EDIT: Also, you need to reread your signature.

imokyrok

Your signature is at odds with your views on Manning. Tell me did you ever watch the Apache helcopter attack mentioned in Hedges article?

Ulster-Lad

Yes, he was probably wrong for leaking some of the stuff he did, but at the same time some of the stuff he released the people of the US should have known about.

EDIT: Also, you need to reread your signature.
The quote in my signature stands. No one has said Manning is/was a good man. He is still awaiting a decision on his "Aiding the Enemy" charges. That is a Life sentence in itself which he deserves.

Last edited:

james5001

The quote in my signature stands. No one has said Manning is/was a good man. He is still awaiting a decision on his "Aiding the Enemy" charges. That is a Life sentence in itself which he deserves.
How does he deserve it?

james5001

To bring that ''logic'' to an extreme conclusion, did Mandela deserve what he got when he was handed that prison sentence?

Dan_Murphy

Aiding the enemy? How?

Clanrickard

How so?

Ulster-Lad

Well instead of answering each of you you could read the articles cited.

He is a soldier that took an oath. Part of that oath was that he would obey the orders of his superiors and that he would bear true faith and allegiance. He was an epic fail.

The "Aiding the Enemy" charge is still pending. It is not been resolved as of yet.

Dan_Murphy

He is a soldier that took an oath. Part of that oath was that he would obey the orders of his superiors and that he would bear true faith and allegiance. He was an epic fail.
Yes, but surely it was in the interest of the American people to know exactly what their military was getting up to?
EDIT: I mean, the helicopter video alone... the US army was killing civilians and journalists ffs!

Ulster-Lad

Yes, but surely it was in the interest of the American people to know exactly what their military was getting up to?
It is not his decision to make. He has no authority or right to determine what is in the interest of the American people.

EUrJokingMeRight

Manning is a brave man. Shining a light on such activities at great peril to himself.

EUrJokingMeRight

It is not his decision to make. He has no authority or right to determine what is in the interest of the American people.
Truly daft comment.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies