Bradshaw not selected for Stormont run

TrueBlue84

BBC News - UUP reject Paula Bradshaw Stormont selection bid

Not that I am the greatest fan of her but I am opposed to what not selecting her means.

I presume she has not been selected for a number of reasons - the association with the Conservatives, being a woman, not being Orange, backing McCrea over Elliott and not properly feeling the mood of the area she wishes to represent.

The UUP have no female MLAs. This might change at the next election with Overend but that would merely be the starting of a new dynasty.

Is this the beginning of a lurch to the extreme?

pete2

Its a great loss to their party but is what it is- a stepping back from UCUNF.

vinoboy

Got a brain? Really? Have you been on her facebook account lately?
Sorry TB ,do not do Facebook ,maybe I was overestimating Ms Bradshaw ? Her work background suggested somebody who was committed to local regeneration and would require some brainwork. Maybe not too streetwise ?
Anyway , if there were more intelligent females in UUP ,it would freshen things up a bit is my main point.

Antrim

I wonder if she will join the alliance party now? Ian Parsley might rejoin with her.

Either that or he’ll convince her to join the Conservatives.

I hope the later doesn’t happen because that will be a waste of two fairly good politicians. I think they could do more if they joined the Alliance party.

idle tim

BBC News - UUP reject Paula Bradshaw Stormont selection bid

Not that I am the greatest fan of her but I am opposed to what not selecting her means.

I presume she has not been selected for a number of reasons - the association with the Conservatives, being a woman, not being Orange, backing McCrea over Elliott and not properly feeling the mood of the area she wishes to represent.

The UUP have no female MLAs. This might change at the next election with Overend but that would merely be the starting of a new dynasty.

Is this the beginning of a lurch to the extreme?
What has not being Orange got to do with it? Some very prominent Unionist/Loyalist posters on here maintain that the Orange Order have very little influence on Unionist parties or their policies,your post above would indicate they do have an influence.:confused:

TrueBlue84

I wonder if she will join the alliance party now? Ian Parsley might rejoin with her.

Either that or he’ll convince her to join the Conservatives.

I hope the later doesn’t happen because that will be a waste of two fairly good politicians. I think they could do more if they joined the Alliance party.
If the Northern Ireland Conservatives are as brave as they talked about (sorry cant find the BBC News story) they talked of a rebranding of their party whilst still being linked with the mainland Tories they would forge on with their own path in Northern Ireland.

Edit - not sure what the NI Conservatives would be bringing to such an Alliance other than the ear of the Mainland Conservatives and possibly funding as they rarely get over 5000 votes

Combine that with a potential 30% from the UUP if Basil jumps and you have an interesting little centre right party there with a decent trio at the head of it all McCrea, Bradshaw and Parsley.

Last edited:

TrueBlue84

What has not being Orange got to do with it? Some very prominent Unionist/Loyalist posters on here maintain that the Orange Order have very little influence on Unionist parties or their policies,your post above would indicate they do have an influence.:confused:
How is Bradshaw's selection a policy? It was a democratic selection process in her association. If however that association has a number of OO members I would find it hard to believe that they would endorse a non OO member over a OO member

physicist

How is Bradshaw's selection a policy? It was a democratic selection process in her association. If however that association has a number of OO members I would find it hard to believe that they would endorse a non OO member over a OO member
They endorsed Rodney Conner over Tom Elliot didn't they?

TrueBlue84

They endorsed Rodney Conner over Tom Elliot didn't they?
I don't recall an Orange endorsement of Connor, you will happily link me to it of course?

New Threads

Most Replies