• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Brathadóirí / Informers

Dasayev

Anybody watching this series of programmes offering a glimpse into the dirty war in the North?

Last week's episode dealt with the murder of Margaret Perry by a number of informers.

Tonights deals with a Garda involved with MI5.

22:15

Brathadoiri
Documentary series on the role of informers during the Troubles.
Why a garda who passed information from Republican paramilitaries to MI5 has never faced disciplinary action
Previous episodes are available to watch here - TG4 Online

Just go to Faisnéis to find them.

Twilight

I know informers seem to be everywhere, in every conflict, but we seem to have more than our fair share of them, or am I mistaken. We always seemed to have them when you read back on our history. And then the Reward for information on Libertas. I can guarantee that someone will do the dirty there. And yet the thought of informing on anyone, let alone putting lives at risk is repugnant to me. I did in fact complain to the Mods about that personal insult that got left for me, but I also put it out in a post so I wasn't doing it behind anyone's back.

Dasayev

I know informers seem to be everywhere, in every conflict, but we seem to have more than our fair share of them, or am I mistaken. We always seemed to have them when you read back on our history. And then the Reward for information on Libertas. I can guarantee that someone will do the dirty there. And yet the thought of informing on anyone, let alone putting lives at risk is repugnant to me. I did in fact complain to the Mods about that personal insult that got left for me, but I also put it out in a post so I wasn't doing it behind anyone's back.
I don't think it's a particularly Irish problem. You're going to get people who are motivated by greed or revenge all across the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Malinche

Dasayev

Although it was less than half an hour long, last nights programme dealt with more issues than just a Garda and his links to MI5. Many of these issues have been discussed on this site before.

- The Garda, codenamed The Badger, passing on information to the British. He has never been properly investigated, as he has threatened to tell the media everything he knows about the culture of Gardaí working for British Intelligence.

- The Crinnion / Wyman scandal

- The Dublin and Monaghan bombings

- The Baldonnell meeting and subsequent killings in the Republic by the British. According to the programme, the Gardaí have either never investigated, or not properly investigated, 12 murders.

- And then the case of Garda files being "lost"

In any other country this kind of stuff would rock the foundations of the state.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, corruption is a national emergency. We need a clear out of every crook running the country, not just to ensure that tax payers money is spent wisely, and planning matters are dealt with in an honest fashion, but also to ensure that those charged with national security are not compromised and working against the national interest.

Young Ned

Although it was less than half an hour long, last nights programme dealt with more issues than just a Garda and his links to MI5. Many of these issues have been discussed on this site before.

- The Garda, codenamed The Badger, passing on information to the British. He has never been properly investigated, as he has threatened to tell the media everything he knows about the culture of Gardaí working for British Intelligence.

- The Crinnion / Wyman scandal

- The Dublin and Monaghan bombings

- The Baldonnell meeting and subsequent killings in the Republic by the British. According to the programme, the Gardaí have either never investigated, or not properly investigated, 12 murders.

- And then the case of Garda files being "lost"

In any other country this kind of stuff would rock the foundations of the state.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, corruption is a national emergency. We need a clear out of every crook running the country, not just to ensure that tax payers money is spent wisely, and planning matters are dealt with in an honest fashion, but also to ensure that those charged with national security are not compromised and working against the national interest.

I just watched it (and three of the previous ones) last night, and it was a good program.

What blew my mind was that it seemed that the Dublin/Monaghan bombings came just at the time it would have been most helpful to cement an information sharing deal with the British.

Dasayev

I just watched it (and three of the previous ones) last night, and it was a good program.

What blew my mind was that it seemed that the Dublin/Monaghan bombings came just at the time it would have been most helpful to cement an information sharing deal with the British.
Seán Donlon seemed to state that the Irish government's reaction to the Dublin and Monaghan bombings was one of fear that the British would launch further attacks.

If there hadn't been an appropriate response [the establishment of the Joint Security Conference] from the Irish Government.. Limerick might have been next, Cork might have been next, Tullamore might have been next
The information sharing deal was a one way street and a sham. Yorkshire Television in the 90s was able to uncover more information about Dublin and Monaghan, than the Gardaí could access back in the 70s.

inchicore_republican

The state is afraid to properly investigate Garda collusion with MI5 because it would lead to ex Fine Gael ministers.

Mr Crowley

code twinkle

Seán Donlon seemed to state that the Irish government's reaction to the Dublin and Monaghan bombings was one of fear that the British would launch further attacks.

The information sharing deal was a one way street and a sham. Yorkshire Television in the 90s was able to uncover more information about Dublin and Monaghan, than the Gardaí could access back in the 70s.
It was a well-put together documentary although I think it was simplistic in its explanation of the strategy behind Dublin-Monaghan. At the very least, yes, the bombs were planted to scare the bejaysus out of the Irish govt. and affect current security arrangements.

But their timing in relation to Sunningdale wasn't really tackled by the programme - it is possible that they were merely a further effort by MI5 to undermine the Sunningdale arrangement for domestic political purposes - eg. bring down Labour PM Harold Wilson.

Dasayev

It was a well-put together documentary although I think it was simplistic in its explanation of the strategy behind Dublin-Monaghan. At the very least, yes, the bombs were planted to scare the bejaysus out of the Irish govt. and affect current security arrangements.

But their timing in relation to Sunningdale wasn't really tackled by the programme - it is possible that they were merely a further effort by MI5 to undermine the Sunningdale arrangement for domestic political purposes - eg. bring down Labour PM Harold Wilson.

Yeah, it dealt with too much in such a short programme.

inchicore republican said:
The state is afraid to properly investigate Garda collusion with MI5 because it would lead to ex Fine Gael ministers.
Irish governments at that time were not as compliant though, that's why Dublin was bombed several times in the 70s.

We don't know the whole story but we can guess that the British were threatening further action if the Irish government didn't toe the line.

readytogo

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9_5UKvQTiI&feature=related"]YouTube- Hidden Hand - Dublin & Monaghan bombings (1/6)[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY6joUKwmNs&feature=related"]YouTube- Hidden Hand - Dublin & Monaghan bombings (2/6)[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNkYVfq8uKg&feature=related"]YouTube- Hidden Hand - Dublin & Monaghan bombings (3/6)[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2pgVkCW7Rk&feature=related"]YouTube- Hidden Hand - Dublin & Monaghan bombings (4/6)[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-TXiJ8iBNg&feature=related"]YouTube- Hidden Hand - Dublin & Monaghan bombings (5/6)[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giaC61J3SCA&feature=related"]YouTube- Hidden Hand - Dublin & Monaghan bombings (6/6)[/ame]

offworld

Protest - not for the first time, perfectly reasonable and well grounded comments I have made on Politiics.ie have been censored

Once more, and without consultation with me, a faceless Politics.ie moderator has censored my comments on the FRU and spook propaganda - thus encouraging the very lack of awareness about the FRU that I am complaining about. I have made the same comments in a Guardian Comment Is Free article and also as a witness at the Smithwick Tribunal but on this supposedly democratic chat forum they are removed.

Conclusion - Politics.ie is a sham chat forum in which I will no longer take part

Paul Larkin

merle haggard

they were all at it . The state itself is implicated in not only treason but outright collusion in the mass murder of its own citizens.

Remember too that many of the victims relatives were then subjected to gross humiliation and intimidation by Garda detectives after the horrific murders of their loved ones. A garda dtetctive even tried to intimidate Christy pHelans 16 year old son into admitting he had murdered his father . The same detective later told the family of Seamus Ludlow that his own relartives had murdered him , causing years of bitter family anguish and splits.

Scum is what these traitors were . And are .

Last edited:

merle haggard

We don't know the whole story but we can guess that the British were threatening further action if the Irish government didn't toe the line.
the records state that when an undercover British murder gang were apprehended by ordinary gardai in co monaghan Heath personally warned the Irish government of " the most evil consequences" if they werent immediately released . Garrett fitzgerald intervened , corrupted the justice system , and the armed criminals walked .

former wesleyan

they were all at it . The state itself is implicated in not only treason but outright collusion in the mass murder of its own citizens.

Remember too that many of the victims relatives were then subjected to gross humiliation and intimidation by Garda detectives after the horrific murders of their loved ones. A garda dtetctive even tried to intimidate Christy pHelans 16 year old son into admitting he had murdered his father . The same detective later told the family of Seamus Ludlow that his own relartives had murdered him , causing years of bitter family anguish and splits.

Scum is what these traitors were . And are .
All nicely balanced out by the blind eye turned to the training facilities offered at Kilworth camp and the army being complicit in it. You'd be safer to let sleeping dogs lie.

Hillbilly

All nicely balanced out by the blind eye turned to the training facilities offered at Kilworth camp and the army being complicit in it. You'd be safer to let sleeping dogs lie.
Any reason why all of these things shouldn't be investigated?