Brave-but-barking

McSlaggart

Andrew English checks out the route of the North West 200, an Irish road race that serves as a warm-up for the Isle of Man TT

With another Atlantic squall blowing in over the cliffs, there's little to indicate the start of one of the world's oldest surviving motorcycle road races. A few white marks on the main road show the starting grid where 60 riders will be revving their engines at the North West 200 in May.

Through the horizontal rain, it is possible to make out remodelled kerbstones where the riders come steaming out of the pits right beside a demountable 1,000-seat grandstand. The rain finds its way down my neck and, somewhere out in a field, a sheep coughs.

Of course, there's a fair bit more furniture and a good deal more people come race day, although there are no guarantees on the weather. While the North West 200 is billed as Europe's biggest spectator event, there's a conspiracy of silence over how many people actually turn up. If the claimed total is too high, extra police have to be deployed for this good-natured event, so numbers are deliberately kept vague.

Unlike the Isle of Man TT, which is a time trial, the North West 200 is a full-on race. In mainland Britain such races were banned in 1925, but Northern Ireland added a Road Races Act to its statute in 1922 and the first North West 200 (the race mileage) was held in 1929.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/2739645/Brave-but-barking.html

Oliver Cromwell McIvor

McSlaggart you already started a thread on banning these races after the death of Dunlop.

Why start another one?

Craigmore..

The weather was suitably sunny. I know rider's who compete at these events and they don't get paid or have sponsors etc. It's all for the love of their sport and that benefits so many vendors, business, people. It's free to watch.

Newrybhoy

Andrew English checks out the route of the North West 200, an Irish road race that serves as a warm-up for the Isle of Man TT

With another Atlantic squall blowing in over the cliffs, there's little to indicate the start of one of the world's oldest surviving motorcycle road races. A few white marks on the main road show the starting grid where 60 riders will be revving their engines at the North West 200 in May.

Through the horizontal rain, it is possible to make out remodelled kerbstones where the riders come steaming out of the pits right beside a demountable 1,000-seat grandstand. The rain finds its way down my neck and, somewhere out in a field, a sheep coughs.

Of course, there's a fair bit more furniture and a good deal more people come race day, although there are no guarantees on the weather. While the North West 200 is billed as Europe's biggest spectator event, there's a conspiracy of silence over how many people actually turn up. If the claimed total is too high, extra police have to be deployed for this good-natured event, so numbers are deliberately kept vague.

Unlike the Isle of Man TT, which is a time trial, the North West 200 is a full-on race. In mainland Britain such races were banned in 1925, but Northern Ireland added a Road Races Act to its statute in 1922 and the first North West 200 (the race mileage) was held in 1929.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/2739645/Brave-but-barking.html
Why did you highlight the bit about how many attend the event?

Oliver Cromwell McIvor

'There's even a Metropole Hotel, past which the racers scorch'

McSlaggart your article is so old that hotel was demolished years after the piece was written.

McSlaggart

He wants to stop the NW because the Triangle area is massively Unionist. Good luck to him and his one-man crusade.

Zoo.
Firstly : I often go on Holiday in that part of the world.

Secondly : If you do not want the race stopped then make radical changes!!!!! The technology in the bikes is nothing like it was even 20 year ago.

Craigmore..

Firstly : I often go on Holiday in that part of the world.

Secondly : If you do not want the race stopped then make radical changes!!!!! The technology in the bikes is nothing like it was even 20 year ago.
1 LMFAO aye I'm sure you do.
:lol: :lol:

2 It won't be stopped, no danger of that. :lol:

Money is pouring into Portrush at the Moment. As a resort, I think it needs better investment for the roads leading into it and an attraction that is open during the winter season to attract people.

McSlaggart

2 It won't be stopped, no danger of that. :lol:
15 Robert Dunlop 15 May 2008[18] Mather's Cross 2008 North West 200 Races Practice 250cc Yamaha
16 Mark Young 16 May 2009[19] Mather's Cross 2009 North West 200 Races 250cc Race 250cc Honda
17 Mark Buckley 19 May 2012[20] Millbank Avenue 2012 North West 200 Races Superstock Race 1000cc Aprilia
18 Simon Andrews 19 May 2014[13] Coleraine Road 2014 North West 200 Races Superstock Race 1000cc BMW
19 Malachi Mitchell-Thomas 14 May 2016 [14] Dhu Varen 2016 North West 200 Races Supertwins Race Kawasaki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_West_200

Craigmore..

15 Robert Dunlop 15 May 2008[18] Mather's Cross 2008 North West 200 Races Practice 250cc Yamaha
16 Mark Young 16 May 2009[19] Mather's Cross 2009 North West 200 Races 250cc Race 250cc Honda
17 Mark Buckley 19 May 2012[20] Millbank Avenue 2012 North West 200 Races Superstock Race 1000cc Aprilia
18 Simon Andrews 19 May 2014[13] Coleraine Road 2014 North West 200 Races Superstock Race 1000cc BMW
19 Malachi Mitchell-Thomas 14 May 2016 [14] Dhu Varen 2016 North West 200 Races Supertwins Race Kawasaki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_West_200
Aye your right. The ban is imminent :oops:

death or glory

He wants to stop the NW because the Triangle area is massively Unionist. Good luck to him and his one-man crusade.

Zoo.
now thats not correct.
I dont think this is sectarian this time.
No doubt about it road racing is extremely dangerous.
But NW200 is huge visitot attraction. When younger i went for about 5 years and never actually watched a race.
The crack is mighty but as a spectator sport IMO not very exciting.

Craigmore..

now thats not correct.
I dont think this is sectarian this time.
No doubt about it road racing is extremely dangerous.
But NW200 is huge visitot attraction. When younger i went for about 5 years and never actually watched a race.
The crack is mighty but as a spectator sport IMO not very exciting.
I think I've been about three times and I've probably only caught glimpses of the race because I was blocked. In recent years I just haven't been bothered because of the crowds and traffic. If anything the area needs investment for it's infrastructure. The traffic start's at Cloughmills and is often bumper to bumper from ballymoney down.

McSlaggart

'There's even a Metropole Hotel, past which the racers scorch'

McSlaggart your article is so old that hotel was demolished years after the piece was written.
The coverage of the race is not extensive in the wider media.

If the NW road race is to continue then it needs to change.

Craigmore..

The coverage of the race is not extensive in the wider media.

If the NW road race is to continue then it needs to change.
Untrue. My Belfast Telegraph has about 5 pages devoted to William Dunlop today.

Who's saying this except for you? Who's saying it needs to change or is in a perilous state? Street vendors descend on mass to the NW.

You show a terrible lack of understanding of these massive events. I acknowledge you fro what you are though. Because if anything if people follow our exchanges they can learn why these events are so important and thrive regardless.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies