• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Bray Town Council to allow homeless to sleep in Public Toilets! RTE News!

potholedogger

Can no better arrangement be made for the homeless than allowing them to use Public Toilets for sleeping accommodation?

This is a new low!

Is this not an admission that they cannot solve the problem?

What happens if there are mass repossessions?

Last edited:

lying eyes

Can no better arrangement be made for the homeless than allowing them to use Public Toilets for sleeping accommodation?

This is a new low!

The people of this Country are well aware that our politicians are incapeable of solving any problem. Jeez we have enough empty buildings to house legions, but where is the will.

zippo222

An excellent idea.

[...It’s very difficult to intervene when a homeless person decides not to get involved [with established support services],” Cllr Glynn said.

Both buildings have an electricity supply and will be equipped for heat.

“These aren’t exactly shelters but somewhere where they can get a bit of warmth,” he said.

Following a meeting of council officials and the council’s director of housing this evening it was decided to open the buildings as an interim measure.

Mr Glynn said the council would keep the buildings open until the cold weather subsides and will look at extending the initiative at a later date. ...]

Bray opens public buildings to homeless - The Irish Times - Tue, Dec 11, 2012

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
A person doesn't just die of exposure in Ireland - they die of the underlying cause , which in many homeless people is mental illness. We need to discuss the underlying causes of homelessness - not simplistic discussions of their deaths

cYp

Big Brother

This is a new low!

isn't it nice to see the public sector give something back?

We spend billions building palaces for these overstaffed overpaid dosshouses called local councils.....

...and they ask the homeless to sleep in urine.

Just about says it all about the Croke Park deal, our public fat cats and the state of public governance.

tigerben

All the money thrown at multi organisations for homelessness , and zilch results only quangos dictating paper trails , needing a life plan off the homeless and put as must obstacles in the way. This ensures the quangos have a long shelf life, if the problems were sovled , surely 30/40 quangos would be lost.

Lassie

A person doesn't just die of exposure in Ireland - they die of the underlying cause , which in many homeless people is mental illness. We need to discuss the underlying causes of homelessness - not simplistic discussions of their deaths

cYp
Do you perhaps mean when people get kicked out of their homes because of unealistic cuts to rent allowance that are so off market rate that the land lord wont agree and the person in question is mentally ill and cannot appeal? something like that? 12,000 housing list Bray.

Big Brother

All the money thrown at multi organisations for homelessness , and zilch results only quangos dictating paper trails , needing a life plan off the homeless and put as must obstacles in the way. This ensures the quangos have a long shelf life, if the problems were sovled , surely 30/40 quangos would be lost.
Quangos are not there to help people

They are there to employ friends and relatives of the Labour party at six figure salaries and to spew out left wing propaganda in the Irish Times and RTE panel shows.

potholedogger

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Mathew 25:36&36

What are the Churches doing about homelessness?

Con Gallagher

People criticized so far in this thread:
Niall Mellon
The Catholic Church
Joan Burton
Quangos
The banks

But only two posts have dealt with mental illness and the housing list in Bray. No mention so far of Enda Kenny, Bertie Ahern, Phil Hogan, Jan O'Sullivan, James Reilly or Kathleen Lynch.

b.a. baracus

There are services for the homeless in Bray. The impression I got from the Council official interviewed was that this person did not wish to use them. The opening of buildings in Bray is for those who refuse to engage with the services which are available.

How do you help somebody in the scenario where they refuse the help available?

firefly123

isn't it nice to see the public sector give something back?

We spend billions building palaces for these overstaffed overpaid dosshouses called local councils.....

...and they ask the homeless to sleep in urine.

Just about says it all about the Croke Park deal, our public fat cats and the state of public governance.

Oh piss off! You are obsessed with bloody Croke park. I work with the homeless all the time. As an earlier post stated these people suffer with long term problems that lead to them being on the street. Alcoholism, drug addiction and mental health issues. They don't just slip through the cracks caused by cut backs no matter how much you wish to turn a thread back to your favourite whinge. You are worse than that other one trick pony Patslatt and that's saying something. You probably turn your nose up to them in the real world and would step over someone in the street and leave to us PS scum.

Radix

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Mathew 25:36&36

What are the Churches doing about homelessness?

What are YOU doing about homelessness? Are you making your voice heard within your Church, or are you just ranting from the sidelines as usual?

The biggest provider of homeless housing in the country pothole? Come on, tell us who it is.

potholedogger

What are YOU doing about homelessness? Are you making your voice heard within your Church, or are you just ranting from the sidelines as usual?

The biggest provider of homeless housing in the country pothole? Come on, tell us who it is.
The State pays the piper and several groups of duplicated administrators.

Why do Churches lock their doors at night?

Reasunach

[...It’s very difficult to intervene when a homeless person decides not to get involved [with established support services],” Cllr Glynn said.

Cllr Glynn is spot on here. As un-PC as it is to say it, there are some people who prefer not to engage with the services available to them. You can't force people to accept help and as other posters have pointed out, many of our long term homeless (if not all) are suffering from the effects of alcoholism, drug addiction or mental illness. All these people once had, or perhaps have families who were willing to help. I know this from experience. A person cannot be detained in a hospital in this country because they are substance abusers and it is extremely difficult to have a person detained in a psychiatric hospital against their will. You can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped, and that is the unfortunate fact here.