• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Breaking :Gay Marriage Referendum likely next year.

corelli

Hearing from usually reliable sources, and the INDO are sniffing it on twitter but not biting, that the Government are to announce, perhaps after todays cabinet business, but that is unclear, that they have agreed to have a referendum on gay marriage next year.

More as I get it.

livingstone

Good news if true. Although it shouldn't (and legally doesn't, IMO) need a referendum, will be good to tackle this one head on.

Cue the moaners who don't think countries can focus on different issues at the same time...

ger12

Great news. Delighted the people will make the decision to ensure Irish gay men and women are afforded the same rights as heterosexual Irish men and women.

Clanrickard

Will vote NO but open to persuasion.

corelli

Don't mean to be debbie downer, but it has all pong of a major trade off vis the abortion legislation. We shall see.

Ren84

A yes vote from me. Time for a vote on legalising abortion as well. I'm slightly more optimistic about this country now. :)

Big Brother

Just a hunch but what may have happened is this:

Labour have backed down on abortion and will kick that to touch.

Instead Labour will get a referendum on same sex marriage to sell to their liberal wing.

For Kenny its an easy out as it kicks to touch a social debate that threatens to split the nation down the middle and demoralise FG in run up to local elections and Euro elections next year.

Problem for same sex marriage side is this: Most of those who will campaign will be Labour Ministers or unpopular Labour TDs

Will that help their cause?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
I'm not sure one is needed but as Bunreacht is a little murky on the matter I suppose this is to be welcomed, and I hope it covers adoption also

cYp

constitutionus

jesus with kennys luck itll be bundeled with an abortion one.

what a fecking campaign thatll be.

oh and voting no.

corelli

Just a hunch but what may have happened is this:

Labour have backed down on abortion and will kick that to touch.

Instead Labour will get a referendum on same sex marriage to sell to their liberal wing.

For Kenny its an easy out as it kicks to touch a social debate that threatens to split the nation down the middle and demoralise FG in run up to local elections and Euro elections next year.

Problem for same sex marriage side is this: Most of those who will campaign will be Labour Ministers or unpopular Labour TDs

Will that help their cause?
Every party, given FG will vote for it, will be canvassing for and supporting, gay marriage. I don't see your point at all.

What party is against Gay Marriage?

Ren84

jesus with kennys luck itll be bundeled with an abortion one.

what a fecking campaign thatll be.

oh and voting no.
As a Libertarian why do you feel it is the state's role to dictate who can and cannot marry?

Ren84

Correct me if I am wrong.

Your handle is Culmore as in North Derry at the Muff border. If from Derry you can not vote in Republic of Ireland referendums.
Northerner's should be allowed to vote in all our elections and referenda. Hopefully the CC will come back with some recommendations on that issue.

theloner

Correct me if I am wrong.

Your handle is Culmore as in North Derry at the Muff border. If from Derry you can not vote in Republic of Ireland referendums.
You trying to say I've no friends?