Breaking- Government considering holding up to Eight Referendums next year!

Catalpast

Government considering holding up to Eight Referendums next year!

Just on the Midnight News

Abortion one probably in May

More to follow...

Man or Mouse

Government considering holding up to Eight Referendums next year!

Just on the Midnight News

Abortion one probably in May

More to follow...
Are we going to get rid of Donegal at last?

NYCKY

I wonder will they try that lowering the age of Presidential candidates again?

They probably have other issues, equally crucial to the people.

GDPR

If they try to take the steam out of the abortion one by mixing it in with a whole pile of sh1te no one really cares about, shame on them.

Betson

I assume one of the them is to finally rid the practice of the extortionate pension rights and pay offs to top civil servants ministers etc , every TD says they are appalled by the sums but nothing they can do as the rights are enshrined. Shane Ross while outside the Dail always said those 'rights' can be easily reversed by a referendum if the Government wanted to.

I won't be holding my breath.

NYCKY

I would think that one on abortion, one on reducing divorce waiting time and one on giving irish citizens abroad the right to vote in Presidential elections count for three of them.

Doubt that one on the Presidential voting would be done in time for next years election.

Mercurial

I would think that one on abortion, one on reducing divorce waiting time and one on giving irish citizens abroad the right to vote in Presidential elections count for three of them.

Doubt that one on the Presidential voting would be done in time for next years election.
Blasphemy will be another one.

Maybe Irish Water?

USER1234

A list of what they want to have those 8 referendums on would be very interesting alright

Half Nelson

I wonder will they try that lowering the age of Presidential candidates again?

They could bring it down to 75 and get rid of that nuisance.

NYCKY

Blasphemy will be another one.

Maybe Irish Water?
Some quick googling turned up some more potentials.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/taoiseach-outlines-referendum-plans-over-next-two-years-1.3170398

The key referendums are expected to focus on the Eighth Amendment governing the State’s abortion laws and constitutional provision relating to the role of women in the home.

A referendum on extending presidential voting rights to Irish citizens living outside the State, one to remove the offence of blasphemy and one on the European unified patent court have also been flagged.

fergal1790

I propose a referendumdedum to limit the number of referenda in any Taoiseach's term of office and they must resign from public office and go back to being an unloved and pretty mediocre doctor or teacher after 2.

Filibuster

Bring it on!
The constitution needs updating. Better to have a year of the constitution than 20 years of can kicking.

mr_anderson

I'm in favour of a super-referendum (super-referenda/super-referenday?) day.
Get a number of issues done with in one fell swoop.
Abortion
Divorce (cooling-off period)
Freedom of Speech (US 1st amendment equivalent)
Blasphemy
Declare FF a terrorist organisation
etc.

Man or Mouse

Are we going to get rid of Donegal at last?
After watching Danny Healy Rae on Claire Byrne, I have to revise that one. Make it Kerry instead.

GDPR

Ye have got this all wrong, it has to be Mayo, then just maybe they'll finally win, something.

Catalpast

It seems a lot to role out in such a short period of time....

We will get Referendum fatigue ....!!!

Interesting to see if Abortion will be a stand alone one or not....

If they mix it in with others then that would indicate that they have doubts about it getting through on its own

On the other hand they went with that approach on the Gay marriage thing and it paid off

I would say though that if Abortion is a single issue referendum the others will be lumped together with the Presidential one in October [?] next year

They have to get the Abortion one done before The Pope gets here and damns them all to Hell....:evil:

Diplomatically speaking of course....:D

Spanner Island

I hope to f*** they hold them all on the same day.

Referendums are expensive... and a massive pain in the arse... so they should get them all done on the same day...

RasherHash

If they try to take the steam out of the abortion one by mixing it in with a whole pile of sh1te no one really cares about, shame on them.
The abortion issue is a minefield, no one will ever get it 'right'.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies