Breaking: Lowry guilty of tax offences

GDPR

Good, yet it will likely just result in a mere slap on the wrist/minor fine.

FOURGREENFIELDS

In other news moonhowling Tipperary voters say he was good to their grannies and have vowed to increase his majority at the next election.

enuffisenuff

he wont see a minute of jail time I reckon..best we can hope for is a hefty fine prob and the pleasure of calling him a tax cheat or something like that....

bokuden

Disillusioned democrat

It seems completely bizarre that you can serve as an elected representative and be guilty of tax evasion...the ball is very much in Tipp's electorate's court now...if they elect Lowry in the next GE Tipp should be starved of any state funding for the term of that Dail

Munnkeyman

I'd love to hear the attempt at mitigation before sentencing. "My client is a fine, upstanding... etc."

Last edited:

nonpolitic

How doe any sentence impact on him being able to remain a TD. I am not sure of the guidelines.

Lúidín

Be thankful he isn't claiming mileage for his trips from Tipp to Leinster House by way of the Isle of Man.

Disillusioned democrat

How doe any sentence impact on him being able to remain a TD. I am not sure of the guidelines.
Well, if he's sentenced to jail time he will see out the rest of the Dail in prison and not be able to vote.

The "justice" system has an interesting challenge on its hands - jail one of their own or announce that tax fraud is no longer a jail-able offence.

Spanner Island

I assume this means a by election and that the people of Tipperary are going to have to look for another crook to represent them?

Ramon Mercadar

I'd love to here the attempt at mitigation before sentencing. "My client is a fine, upstanding... etc."
He pleaded not guilty and has shown no remorse so a 3 year sentence might be likely on each charge to run concurrently.

bokuden

It seems completely bizarre that you can serve as an elected representative and be guilty of tax evasion...the ball is very much in Tipp's electorate's court now...if they elect Lowry in the next GE Tipp should be starved of any state funding for the term of that Dail
Not just that. Hes propping up the government.

New Threads

Most Replies