Breaking: New extinct human species discovered in South Africa, introducing Homo naledi

owedtojoy

Cellachán Chaisil

Apparently, there is no indication yet when the bones date from. There is a possibility they survived there until relatively recently.

Accidental sock

He looks like I do,,,,after a good night out, waking up in a strange bedsit, and can't remember where I put my shoes...

Ren84

Soon to be joined by another species Homo labourite. :D

silverharp

Soon to be joined by another species Homo labourite. :D
maybe MickyD got himself a time machine but got stuck there

gijoe

I bet they went extinct after they allowed gay marriage......

Cellachán Chaisil

In a thousand years;

Breaking: New extinct human species discovered in Europe, introducing the White European

SNA12JACK-280_678681a1-235x300.jpg

Every ************************************g thread!

Are there no mods?

Commander of the North

Breaking: New extinct human species discovered in Europe, introducing the White European

Dick

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Damn. I had a bizarre conversation with some weirdo who was insistent that we produce the intervening versions of hominids before he or she would lend evolutionary theory any credence last week.

I sent them links to the Smithsonian on the subject- only to face a demand that we supply evidence of half-homo neanderthalis and half homo-sapiens in fossil form.

If this new suspected hominid does turn out to be a relative the nut will be back on next week demanding fossils for the one after this one and before Neanderthalis etc etc and on into infinity.

At one stage I seriously considered posting a link to a video of Martin Mansergh hooting away in his very own hominid Manserghus style but managed to resist.

SAT

Damn. I had a bizarre conversation with some weirdo who was insistent that we produce the intervening versions of hominids before he or she would lend evolutionary theory any credence last week.

I sent them links to the Smithsonian on the subject- only to face a demand that we supply evidence of half-homo neanderthalis and half homo-sapiens in fossil form.

If this new suspected hominid does turn out to be a relative the nut will be back on next week demanding fossils for the one after this one and before Neanderthalis etc etc and on into infinity.

At one stage I seriously considered posting a link to a video of Martin Mansergh hooting away in his very own hominid Manserghus style but managed to resist.
There is no such fossil. Neanderthals like Denisovans are not part of our evolutionary history although we do share a common ancestor thought to be Homo heidelbergensis. They both co-existed with homo-sapiens up until ~30,000 years ago when their lines became extinct. Europeans interbred with Neanderthals before their demise. As a result between 1% and 3% of European and Asian DNA has derived from this inter-species breeding, sub-Saharan Africans have no Neanderthal DNA. And so you should tell your friend, assuming he is European, if he wants to see an example of a mixture of Neanderthal and Homosapien he need only look in the mirror.

owedtojoy

Next time you are in touch with said crackpot, ask him if his parents produced hermaphrodites when they mated.

There was a series on a few years ago called "Ascent of Man" - the presenter (Jacob Bronowski) pointed out that sexual reproduction was on a one-or-the-other basis - that is more or less what Mendel showed with his peas. It was why Darwin spent much of his life talking to horse breeders and pigeon enthusiasts but still never unlocked the secrets of genetics. He never read Mendel's paper, but may not even have realised what it meant if he had.

Modern evolutionary theory is Darwinian Evolution + Genetics. There may be "intermediate forms" in a long process but never half-one-thing and half-another. Homo nadali has apelike and human-like characteristics but is whole and entire of himself or herself.

We may not be descended from these creatures at all. Stpehen Jay Gould used to point out that evolution was a bush, not a ladder. There were once many species of Homo among the Hominids, just like there are 4 Ape species today. Only one Homo species survived to the present day - us.

As I've pointed out before, every time that we "plug a gap" in the evolutionary continuum, all we do is turn it into two gaps.

The intermediary species between Homonid A and Hominid B (let us call it Hominid A1) now creates gaps between Hominid A and Hominid A1 and between Hominid A1 and Hominid B.

The creos will never be happy. I sort of rejoice at that.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
There is no such fossil. Neanderthals like Denisovans are not part of our evolutionary history although we do share a common ancestor thought to be Homo heidelbergensis. They both co-existed with homo-sapiens up until ~30,000 years ago when their lines became extinct. Europeans interbred with Neanderthals before their demise. As a result between 1% and 3% of European and Asian DNA has derived from this inter-species breeding, sub-Saharan Africans have no Neanderthal DNA. And so you should tell your friend, assuming he is European, if he wants to see an example of a mixture of Neanderthal and Homosapien he need only look in the mirror.
Mm. Funnily enough I seem to recall making that suggestion or something close to it. It turned out after a few hours of demanding a template human be produced for every stage in hominid development the sod then suddenly declared that he/she believed that 'creationists had the most likely explanation' rather than evolutionary theory.

I'll never get those few hours back.

owedtojoy

National Geographic have done an in depth piece on the discovery.

This Face Changes the Human Story. But How?
That is one hell ofa good article.

Paleoanthropology is full of larger than life characters - Louis Leakey, his son Richard, his wife, their rival Donald Johanson (who made the famous Lucy find), before them Raymond Dart, Robert Broom and Eugene Dubois. Not to mention scandals like the Piltdown hoax!

Now comes this character Lee Berger to write a new chapter. I look forward to his work of explanation for the popular market, like the Leakeys and Johanson wrote!

New Threads

Most Replies