• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Breaking: New extinct human species discovered in South Africa, introducing Homo naledi

That is one hell ofa good article.

Paleoanthropology is full of larger than life characters - Louis Leakey, his son Richard, his wife, their rival Donald Johanson (who made the famous Lucy find), before them Raymond Dart, Robert Broom and Eugene Dubois. Not to mention scandals like the Piltdown hoax!

Now comes this character Lee Berger to write a new chapter. I look forward to his work of explanation for the popular market, like the Leakeys and Johanson wrote!
It is a great read. I hope to read much more about this find, which is of course no more than 6K years old as we both know.

God dropped these remains into the record to test our faith, PBUH. Or something.

owedtojoy

That is one hell ofa good article.

Paleoanthropology is full of larger than life characters - Louis Leakey, his son Richard, his wife, their rival Donald Johanson (who made the famous Lucy find), before them Raymond Dart, Robert Broom and Eugene Dubois. Not to mention scandals like the Piltdown hoax!

Now comes this character Lee Berger to write a new chapter. I look forward to his work of explanation for the popular market, like the Leakeys and Johanson wrote!
Lee Berger's book is out since May.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Almost-Human-Lee-Berger-ebook/dp/B071RKNFC9/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1508687290&sr=1-1&keywords=lee+berger+almost+human

valamhic

As I've pointed out before, every time that we "plug a gap" in the evolutionary continuum, all we do is turn it into two gaps.

The intermediary species between Homonid A and Hominid B (let us call it Hominid A1) now creates gaps between Hominid A and Hominid A1 and between Hominid A1 and Hominid B.

The creos will never be happy. I sort of rejoice at that.
Has Jesus wept?

gijoe

The exciting find is that this group of small Homo being may have sequestered their dead in a cave a custom or ritual.

Homo Naledi: New Species Of Ancient Human Discovered In South African Cave

To be fair, the claim of a distinct species may be contested, or even that the find is Homo.

New human-like species discovered in S Africa - BBC News

To me they resemble the "hobbit" species discovered a few years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_floresiensis
Could be the spit of Jacob Zuma's cousin.

owedtojoy

More discoveries about a human sub-species Denisovian Man, who seems to have roamed over Asia ~150,000 years ago ....

Denisovan Jawbone Discovered in a Cave in Tibet

Homo Sapiens does have Denisovian DNA, as well as Neanderthal.

There are probably other extinct human sub-species still to be found.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Is anyone else keeping an eye on this thread in the hope of seeing the first mention of Homo Fiannafailicus?

toughbutfair

There is no such fossil. Neanderthals like Denisovans are not part of our evolutionary history although we do share a common ancestor thought to be Homo heidelbergensis. They both co-existed with homo-sapiens up until ~30,000 years ago when their lines became extinct. Europeans interbred with Neanderthals before their demise. As a result between 1% and 3% of European and Asian DNA has derived from this inter-species breeding, sub-Saharan Africans have no Neanderthal DNA. And so you should tell your friend, assuming he is European, if he wants to see an example of a mixture of Neanderthal and Homosapien he need only look in the mirror.
They don’t know that homo sapiens interbred with Neanderthals, although it is possible. The small percentage of shared DNA may be because of sharing some ancestors.

rainmaker

Administrator
They don’t know that homo sapiens interbred with Neanderthals, although it is possible. The small percentage of shared DNA may be because of sharing some ancestors.
I'm sure our far right leaning posters probably have some crank theory about Neanderthal birth rates falling below the critical replacement level due to Homo Sapinen immigration.

And for goodness sake don't let our religious members see the word 'homo' there - it wont end well.

owedtojoy

I think the interbreeding has been confirmed at this stage. Apparently, we received genes that helps resistance to flu from Neanderthals - makes sense as they adapted to Northern climates before Homo Sapiens.

Popular Threads

Most Replies