• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Breaking News: Govt to sell VHI

LDF

About time. Will they sell to Anglo?!!

Disillusioned democrat

If that's true there has got to be some suspicion around the timing. If Quinn is also likely to be up for sale, does this not effectively reduce the price they can hope to achieve?

spidermom

In 2013 after they pump enough money in to satisfy the regulator...will try and find a link..

Malbekh

The first of many one would have thought....

spidermom

Ulster-Lad

In advance of the sale the State will announce today it will invest a “substantial sum” into the company’s reserves to allow it to be authorised by the financial regulator.
From the link:

Wonder where that is coming from? :mad:

johnfás

Government to sell VHI by 2013 | Newstalk - Ireland's National Independent Talk Radio Broadcaster

I did read somewhere this week that the VHI would need 100 million for its reserves to come up to scratch..

Oh the irony..public hospital budgets being slashed while we give money to the private healthcare.!
Bit of a nonsensical post - they would invest 100 million in its reserves and sell it for a multiple of that. Thereby arguably increasing the amount of money which could be invested in the health service.

Aindriu

On Breaking news now.

kerdasi amaq

I think Fiann a Fáil should do the decent thing and wind itself up as a political party. What's the betting that they'll sell it for less than it's worth?

Anyway, if they want to get rid of it, they should give every Irish Citizen an equal share in the company, and then let them sell those shares for what they can get. It's theft otherwise.

Last edited:

johnfás

It is a pointless announcement of course, because the incumbent Government will not be in power in 2013. Better to ask Fine Gael what their policy is.

LDF

Very odd timing considering the unions still have to ratify the Croke Park agreement. There are some within the trade union movement who believe that public sector reform is code for privatisation of public services and this decision won't dispel that belief.

spidermom

Bit of a nonsensical post - they would invest 100 million in its reserves and sell it for a multiple of that. Thereby arguably increasing the amount of money which could be invested in the health service.
True....but this point will be repeated!

The first half of your post is correct...as in they will sell VHI for more...

Your second half though...increasing the investment in the PRIVATE health service...which is probably at peak because lets not forget that approx 1,000 customers a week are leaving the private health insurance market..!

MsAnneThrope

Slán Quinn could get back into the business by buying it, funded by Anglo :)

johnfás

True....but this point will be repeated!

The first half of your post is correct...as in they will sell VHI for more...

Your second half though...increasing the investment in the PRIVATE health service...which is probably at peak because lets not forget that approx 1,000 customers a week are leaving the private health insurance market..!
I don't disagree on your general attitude towards the health service. If you dig back through the P.ie archive you will find a series of rather large posts by me which I published prior to the last General Election in 2007. The economy still seemed to be going well and Colocation was the order of the day. I wrote large tracts saying it was a completely nonsense policy and it was predicated on high levels of private health insurance continuing - which I did not think they would. It was clear that if I was right (which I was) that the whole scheme would unravel because of the costs of running a private hospital.

DCon

What's the betting that they'll sell it for less than it's worth?
Guaranteed.

But it will probably be a lot fairer than what they sell Coillte for.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies