• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Breaking: Orange Order meet Martin McGuinnes

Northsideman

Has to welcomed, OO and former COS in the same room, wow.

Global Justice

OO - slow learners. Dialogue will solve this.

Though my position is the OO being banned as a hate group or either be confined to their own areas or to an empty space way out in the fields 24/7 where they can do what they want without restriction of PC regulation, but if all the residents and local community accept any decision and agreement, then happy days.

factual

I think this is broadly encouraging.

Parading disputes are about a lack of tolerance - a lack of respect - and if this engagement means there is respect then this is broadly speaking good news for the future.

belfast1981

I, in a lot of ways have a lot of issues with Sinn Fien. However, as a Unionist I am putting bitterness aside to say I am actually impressed with Martin McGuinness and how he is handling the peace process.

He has met with the Queen, and now Orange Order. Dispite his past, I do believe he is genuine in trying to move on from the past. Sure, he still has some things he should be accountable for. I believe he has information on some things like those who are still missing.

But unlike Gerry, he is actually at least trying to move forward with more than what seems token gestures. And accept Unionists are also part of this island, and that the old Brits out stance is no longer welcome in society.

Ren84

I, in a lot of ways have a lot of issues with Sinn Fien. However, as a Unionist I am putting bitterness aside to say I am actually impressed with Martin McGuinness and how he is handling the peace process.

He has met with the Queen, and now Orange Order. Dispite his past, I do believe he is genuine in trying to move on from the past. Sure, he still has some things he should be accountable for. I believe he has information on some things like those who are still missing.

But unlike Gerry, he is actually at least trying to move forward with more than what seems token gestures. And accept Unionists are also part of this island, and that the old Brits out stance is no longer welcome in society.
How is Gerry Adams not trying to move forwards? Adams and McGuinness both say and do the same things. He's the party leader FFS! :confused:

factual

Encouraging words. Great to see that he has made a positive impact on you and I hope it is a sign of a better future on its way in political terms.

belfast1981

How is Gerry Adams not trying to move forwards? Adams and McGuinness both say and do the same things. He's the party leader FFS! :confused:
Because McGuinness seems to be doing the work.

Meeting queen
Meeting Orange Order.

Gerry Adams as leader should actually be doing this too, but isn't. McGuinness has opened up and admitted he has had a past, where as Adams still has not.

between the bridges

there was a power struggle in sf/ira a few years back gerry lost and got sent south, as for the OO meeting marty i feel sorry for the guys involved!

Ex celt

It's like the mafia meeting the camorra to sort out the numbers game racket in the southside.

InsideImDancing

there was a power struggle in sf/ira a few years back gerry lost and got sent south, as for the OO meeting marty i feel sorry for the guys involved!
Aye right, you love Marty!

Billy the Prod

BBC News - Martin McGuinness holds first talks with Orange Order

The OO have met Martin McGuinness to discuss parades.

Comment: This is historic, as the OO have up to now refused to engage with SF. A small step but an important one as one of the big issues still to be resolved north of the border is that of Orange parades. Welcome news, therefore.
I watched the interview of McGuinness tonight. Very encouraging, and long overdue. The Orange has been procrastinating and dithering for too long about engaging with Republicans. I can understand their objections, but they need to sort this stupid bollocks out once and for all, and with people who have influence within Nationalism.

This is 2012 and we're still constantly teetering on the brink of civil disorder with every parade. Nationalists who want a pluralist, tolerant society shall have to learn to tolerate the OO as an important aspect of Unionist culture. If the scumbag hoods in the Ardoyne found meaningful employment and some self-esteem, the traditional annual post-parade twelfth riots might even go into remission.

Ren84

Because McGuinness seems to be doing the work.

Meeting queen
Meeting Orange Order.

Gerry Adams as leader should actually be doing this too, but isn't. McGuinness has opened up and admitted he has had a past, where as Adams still has not.
Why would Adams be meeting the Queen or OO? His responsibilities are in the Dáil holding the government to account and representing the people of Louth at Leinster House. Should Micheal Martin, Eamonn Gilmore, Joe Higgins, Ming, RBB, and Clare Daly be meeting the Queen and the OO? :rolleyes:

Ren84

I'll be waiting in anticipation for your tell all book on the internal machinations of SF when it comes out. :lol: