BREAKING - Two powerful earthquakes hit Central Italy ..

robut

2 powerful earthquakes rattle Italy

Two powerful earthquakes Wednesday struck central Italy about 50 miles north of the site of a deadly quake in August that killed nearly 300 people, the US Geological Survey said.

The second quake -- with a magnitude of 6.1 -- was 3.2 kilometers (2 miles) north of Visso and 58 km (36 miles) from Perugia, the USGS reported.

Just a few hours earlier, a magnitude-5.5 quake struck the same region. The epicenter was about 9 kilometers away, south-southwest of Visso. The first quake hit at 7 p.m. (1 p.m. ET) between Perugia and Macerata, according to ANSA.

The USGS said both earthquakes were shallow.

SKY ITALIA covering it with Live Broadcast here:

Diretta news video in live streaming - Sky TG24 | Sky

gerhard dengler

Italy is experiencing a lot of bad luck with natural phenomena lately.

The poor relative quality of buildings and building regulations in Italy doesn't help.

robut

The poor relative quality of buildings and building regulations in Italy doesn't help.
I suppose the issue here is Italy is covered in very old historic buildings from cities to towns to villages. Buildings in lots of cases 100s of years old. Very difficult to impose regulations or remedial works to sort this out ?? Plus very very costly I would imagine, even if possible

The Field Marshal

I have noticed over many years that the more regulations there are covering building works the uglier the architecture becomes.

kalipa

I have noticed over many years that the more regulations there are covering building works the uglier the architecture becomes.
I think that may have more to do with architect's fantasies gone mad than building regulations

robut

TODAY - 30/10/2016

Italy quake: Norcia tremor destroys ancient buildings - BBC News

Towns and villages in central Italy have been hit by an earthquake for the fourth time in three months.

The 6.6-magnitude quake - Italy's strongest in decades - struck close to the region where nearly 300 people were killed by a quake in August.

This time no-one appears to have died, but about 20 people were injured.

The medieval basilica of St Benedict in Norcia, the town closest to the epicentre, was among buildings destroyed.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies