Brendan Hughes Interview to Be Broadcast

Cruimh

RTE is to broadcast 2008 interview with the late Brendan Hughes in which he alleges Gerry Adams was involved in the murder of Jean McConville.

Adams McConville allegations to be broadcast

( Interview on BBC site)

He says: "A special squad was brought into the operation then, called The Unknowns.
"Anyone that needed to be taken away, they normally done (sic) it. I had no control over this squad.
Gerry had control of this particular squad."

Last edited:

Follyborn

And poor Gerry was never even a member let alone be in charge of anyone.
Yet the bodies keep turning up.

Northern Voice

There needs to be some sort of closure on these issues. I seen tonight that new evidence had helped in the search for one of the disappeared who had learning difficulties. What sort of monsters could orchestrate killing somebody with a disability?

The Volunteer

The war was fought for many good reasons, but the republican movement didn't do enough to clean its ranks and get rid of the killers-for power like adams or the many bigots.

Tomas Mor

mod. there is another thread on this, "Voices from the grave". They should be merged I think.

Ó Donnchadha

What is disgraceful, is how Brendan Hughes and other former soldiers were disgarded like used Kleenex by the leadership.

Why is there no outreach to former soldiers who are suffering from PTSD? Why are the leadership living high off the hog?

For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?

Ó Donnchadha

If you are going to be all biblical - How about Thou shalt not kill ?
We can discuss the "Just war theory" if you have a few hours. :)

There is a little nuance to "Thou shall not kill"

Just Cause: War is permissible only to confront “a real and certain danger,” i.e. to protect innocent life, to preserve conditions necessary for decent human life existence, and to basic human rights.

There are more details, and I believe both sides of the issue can be argued.

Cruimh

We can discuss the "Just war theory" if you have a few hours. :)
Their Church has consistently stated that Irish Republicans of the 20th century were not engaged in a just war ....
So you are on a loser there.

Admittedly the local Church did - to their shame - support the Provos for a while as the lesser of two evils compared to the sticks who were influenced by Marxists and a Protestant.

Ó Donnchadha

Their Church has consistently stated that Irish Republicans of the 20th century were not engaged in a just war ....
So you are on a loser there.

Admittedly the local Church did - to their shame - support the Provos for a while as the lesser of two evils compared to the sticks who were influenced by Marxists and a Protestant.

Apparently you never met this Lad.

Cardinal Ó Fiaich From my readings, he did support the struggle in his own way. I am sure he was not naive as to what the struggle represented. Rome could not come out directly in favour of a violent struggle, they Rome had to play both sides.

Rome was quite aware of the activities of the Cardinal.

Ó Donnchadha

"I was shocked at by the inhuman conditions . . . where over 300 prisoners are incarcerated. One would hardly allow an animal to remain in such conditions let alone a human being. The nearest approach to it that I have seen was the spectacle of hundreds of homeless people living in sewer pipes in the slums of Calcutta."[2]

Raymond McCreesh was captured bearing arms at the age of 19 and sentenced to 14 years' imprisonment. I have no doubt that he would have never seen the inside of a jail but for the abnormal political situation. Who is entitled to label him a murderer or a suicide?"

These are comments by Cardinal Ó Fiaich, which I believe support my comments.

Tomas Mor

O Fiaich's comparisons to Calcutta was a travesty and an insult to the starving people there - comparing them to IRA men who smeared their own excretia on the walls with their own hands I assume. People like the Cardinal often found themselves before on the side of obnoxious creatures like the Ustasha regime in Croatia and others.Hughes died a bitter twisted man witha grudge against Adams, who despite his involvement with the IRA moved towards peace. Others like Hughes who said "he did not intend to kill anyone" with all the bombs on Bloody Friday must as the grim reaper approached, have suffered enormously.

Ó Donnchadha

I believe the comments of the Cardinal were right on. The treatment of the prisoners by the Brits was pretty bad..

The smearing of excrement on the walls, was done out of desperation. When one has no weapons and/or no were to turn for justice. This is when the mind becomes creative, even if it is in a perverse way.

One reacts to one's surroundings. The Irish were stripped of all dignity, beaten and tortured. The smearing of excrement was an escalation in a psychological battle against the Brit's

The Brit's may come across as very cultured and refined, but underneath they are just a f"ing evil as the next.

The British attempted to do the same to us in the US. They sneered at us, deprived us, killed us. But as history shows, it is not the one who inflicts the most pain, but the one who is willing to endure. We endured.

I think the Irish prisoners did the same. They endured.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies