• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Brendan O'Connor in the Sindo

Aristodemus

I just read this piece by this hack and am truly non-plussed. What exactly did Adams say that is so upsetting? When I first read it I thought that O'Connor was criticising Adams for belittling Enda Kenny because he had an intellectual disability. On re-reading it he seems to be saying that Adams' use of the word "special" meant he was insulting the greater demographic of intellectually disabled people. In the normal cut and thrust of politics this really is small beer and one wonders why O'Connor is getting so precious about it. Adams has many faults but I doubt he would be so tactless as to effectively refer to a political opponent as mentally disabled. On reflection O'Connor really is a moron.

What Gerry said -- and what he really meant by 'special' - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

neiphin

was it ghost written by own arse ?

Sync

On re-reading it he seems to be saying that Adams' use of the word "special" meant he was insulting the greater demographic of intellectually disabled people. In the normal cut and thrust of politics this really is small beer and one wonders why O'Connor is getting so precious about it. Adams has many faults but I doubt he would be so tactless as to effectively refer to a political opponent as mentally disabled.
Which is it? Is it that the term is part of the normal cut and thrust of politics or do you not think Adams meant "Special" in the context of intellectual disability? You seem to be taking opposing positions in your own paragraph.

If you don't think he meant in in that context that how do you think he meant it?

Durkan and Dooley's context seems clear to me, they're doing that tired old FG stance of attacking anything Adams says by referring to his links to terrorism. What was Adams context do you think?

D

Deleted member 17573

Which is it? Is it that the term is part of the normal cut and thrust of politics or do you not think Adams meant "Special" in the context of intellectual disability? You seem to be taking opposing positions in your own paragraph.

If you don't think he meant in in that context that how do you think he meant it?
If I sarcastically remarked that Enda was "special" I'd be referring to his unique qualifications as a bit of a gobsh1te. I wouldn't be implying that he had special needs in the commonly understood sense, a bit thick maybe, but not in the special needs category. O'Connor is just pouncing on one word and then loosing the run of himself on his PC high horse.

lying eyes

I just read this piece by this hack and am truly non-plussed. What exactly did Adams say that is so upsetting? When I first read it I thought that O'Connor was criticising Adams for belittling Enda Kenny because he had an intellectual disability. On re-reading it he seems to be saying that Adams' use of the word "special" meant he was insulting the greater demographic of intellectually disabled people. In the normal cut and thrust of politics this really is small beer and one wonders why O'Connor is getting so precious about it. Adams has many faults but I doubt he would be so tactless as to effectively refer to a political opponent as mentally disabled. On reflection O'Connor really is a moron.

What Gerry said -- and what he really meant by 'special' - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie
O'Connor would be upset about this subject as one of his children has a disibility.

Aristodemus

Durkan and Dooley's context seems clear to me, they're doing that tired old FG stance of attacking anything Adams says by referring to his links to terrorism. What was Adams context do you think?
I'm not trying to be evasive but I don't know! I think it was more a sarcastic "you're special OK" rather than you are a retard. Either way what was O'Connor's beef about?

Sync

If I sarcastically remarked that Enda was "special" I'd be referring to his unique qualifications as a bit of a gobsh1te. I wouldn't be implying that he had special needs in the commonly understood sense, a bit thick maybe, but not in the special needs category. O'Connor is just pouncing on one word and then loosing the run of himself on his PC high horse.
Yeah possibly. As you say though, the commonly understood sense is that it's someone with an intellectual disability. It's not a term a leader of a political party should be saying. Dunno why he bothered replying to O'Connor though, it's not as if he was going to get a fair and balanced reaction from the guy.

D

Deleted member 17573

I'm not trying to be evasive but I don't know! I think it was more a sarcastic "you're special OK" rather than you are a retard. Either way what was O'Connor's beef about?
My reading of it too.

Sync

Either way what was O'Connor's beef about?
He'll pretend he's defending those with disabilities, but really he just doesn't like Adams. Doesn't mean he's wrong, but ultimately his beef is he doesn't like Gerry.

D

Deleted member 17573

Yeah possibly. As you say though, the commonly understood sense is that it's someone with an intellectual disability. It's not a term a leader of a political party should be saying. Dunno why he bothered replying to O'Connor though, it's not as if he was going to get a fair and balanced reaction from the guy.
True - but there is also an older meaner of the term which, as Aristodemus says, is more along the lines of "your special alright:roll:" and that was how I interpreted his comment.

politirak

I think Adams meant 'Special' in Relation to Enda's political capabilities. I dont think he meant Enda was intellectually disbled, just politically. Accurate enough assesment if u ask me. As for O'connor, in fairness, the man is a worm.

Dublin 4

Yet another act of deceit by this undesirable character O'Connor.

O'Connor is always trying to talk up the Property Market no matter what the circumstances.

Here O'Connor pretends that Germany used the word "special status" which is a stronger term than "special case".

The only time Germany used the term "special status" is here

Clarification of the clarification MT @OpenEurope Gov spokes Seibert: Ireland does not enjoy “special status” in the support of its banks
https://twitter.com/RTENewsPaulC/status/260347377997725698

The opposite of O'Connors import!

The whole reason Ballsy wrote this colum was to pretend that there is more likelihood of a deal & hope to prop up journalists in negative equity.

Thus his deliberate misquote of the term "special status"...

Colin M

Clutching at straws is never considered as a negative thing at the Sindo.

CookieMonster

O'Connor would be upset about this subject as one of his children has a disibility.
With him as their father I'd say all of them have a disability.

Davidoff

I have ignored him for years and he hasn't gone yet.
I wish people would leave Brendan O'Connor alone.

Last week a TV critic said one of the American networks will hire him.

When he replaces Conan O'Brien, who'll be laughing then?

Hewson

He'll pretend he's defending those with disabilities, but really he just doesn't like Adams. Doesn't mean he's wrong, but ultimately his beef is he doesn't like Gerry.
Doesn't O'Connor have a child with DS?