• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Brexit And The Bosman Rule!

General Urko

It can be quite difficult for non EU nationals to get jobs as soccer players in England there is a rule AFAIK, that you have to have got a certain amount of caps prior to getting your work visa!
So Is the Bosman Rule which has changed the face of English Football now defunct?
I doubt that Irish Workers will face restrictions due to pre-existing agreements before EU entry!
So there may be a positive for the development of football in these islands out of it!
I suspect though The UK's relationship with The EU will be like Norway or Switzerland, so it will be as if Bosman still applied!

Holy Hand Grenade

Irish kids won't have the same option to head to over to UK clubs at early ages as they did before. I wonder if they want to further their football education, might they start looking at places like Holland, Belgium etc instead.

sic transit

Irish kids won't have the same option to head to over to UK clubs at early ages as they did before. I wonder if they want to further their football education, might they start looking at places like Holland, Belgium etc instead.
Probably not as they generally seem to have a higher standard of youth football skills. In Britain anyone who can kick a bill gets a deal, even if it's only for a brief time.

General Urko

But Brexit is unlikely to affect Irish people being allowed to work in The UK only what they define as foreigners and we are not classified as that under British law!
So you may find a loit more Irish Kids going over and being genuinely nurtured and valued!
BTW I see Arsene seems to be The FA's desired option for a new manager and it also gives the Arsenal an honourable exit strategy!

Franzoni

General Urko

Irish lads who would have prospered in the upper half of The German, Belgian and Dutch Premier Divisions have always seemed vastly more comfortable staying in The English First Division, Scotland or even League 1!

SamsonS

In recent years, the numbers going over from Ireland , and the ages they go over at has changed significantly. The competition from all over the world has meant less and less Irish kids ending up in with the big clubs. There was always a large number who wouldn't make it and return home, but really difficult at the moment to see Irish players making it at the bigger clubs.
Some players playing with league clubs here can get opportunities with clubs below the top level (Wes is a good example) as scouting still happens.
Still a shame that we can send 000's to support our national team in France and can't average 1000 per club at home games in our own league.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies