• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

EnglishObserver

Yes, that's why the Irish are disliked across the world too.
Oh, wait...
Oh but there has been anti-Irish hatred and there still is in places like Australia and The US - it's just not as obvious as it once was.

Why do you think so many Irish immigrants anglicised their names in The US? It was rampant at one point.

EnglishObserver

lmfao .. I hope your parallel universe is nice 😂;)

Oh and try and take into account the wee fact that there wouldnt be any Irish in those British Armies if it wasnt for the fact that they were getting their asses kicked in the American revolution (war of independence) and needed more men .. Hence the Papist Act allowing Catholics to join .. then they sucked more poor souls out of Ireland to deal with Napoleon etc.. etc... Learn your history ffs
American revolition - oh yes, that was when The British fought The British wasn't it? No paddies there - loads of Ulster British of course...

shiel

Using the Irish border issue as political leverage.
The Irish border was imposed by the imperial parliament despite the fact that the same imperial parliament had already passed an Act giving self rule to the whole island with a parliament in Dublin but welshed on putting it into effect.

The leader of the opposition in that imperial parliament actually committed treason by expressly backing civil war against that act of the imperial parliament.

But for that there would have been no border and Brexit would be much simpler now.

Not to mention a lot less trouble in the meantime.

AhNowStop

Oh but there has been anti-Irish hatred and there still is in places like Australia and The US - it's just not as obvious as it once was.

Why do you think so many Irish immigrants anglicised their names in The US? It was rampant at one point.
Lmfao ... the only anti-Irish sentiment in these countries was from WASPS & Orangies who had made it there before them...

You’re pretty shit at this arent you 😂

AhNowStop

American revolition - oh yes, that was when The British fought The British wasn't it? No paddies there - loads of Ulster British of course...
You’re just babbling irrelevantly at this stage son ... go for a wee lie down ... or even better, read a history book ;)

Marcos the black

They were anglicised by you guys before they left. There was racism towards the Irish, no doubt, but there is/was dislike of the English, primarily driven by their atrocities to the indigenous peoples of the country's you invaded.
But it's that history that has washed over the UK now.

Dame_Enda

Johnson warns House of Lords not to block the bill. Johnson claiming its covered by the Salisbury Convention, whereby the Lords allows through bills that were in the election manifesto. Problem with that argument is that the manifesto included support for the Withdrawal Agreement, which this bill is a violation of.

Hewson

An interesting op-ed in the WP from Frank Trenton, professor of history at Birkbeck, University of London. He provides a background to the current Brexit manoeuvering and the self-delusion that drives it.

Britain is adrift. Yesterday evening, the British government proceeded with its threat to breach international law by overriding the protocol on Northern Ireland it had agreed with the European Union.

. . . The “long and illustrious history” is set out in the official book “Life in the UK.” It was launched by Theresa May, then the Conservative home secretary, who would later become prime minister, and has been “approved by ministers” ever since. It presents a Britain that is never wrong, almost always White and never needs international partners.

The handbook, for example, tells new citizens that slavery within the British Isles was “illegal” by the 18th century and purely an overseas operation; in fact, judges debated the issue, and enslaved people within Britain were openly advertised for sale in newspapers in the 18th century. The unwinding of Britain’s vast colonial project is summed up as “for the most part, an orderly transition.” But that ignores the chaos and violence in many places, such as the partition of India in 1947 and the extrajudicial killings in the Mau Mau Rebellion in Kenya from 1952 to 1960.

Ireland falls victim to similar revisionism. Instead of colonizing Ulster by force in the early 17th century, James I now merely “encouraged” English and Scottish Protestants to settle there. The great famine of 1846 is still mentioned, but the fact that Britain might have done more to help the Irish has been excised. The deployment of the British army in Northern Ireland after 1969 vanishes altogether. This willful blindness to Ireland’s past might explain how the British government can play so casually today with its future.

Dame_Enda

Last edited:
Last edited:
Okay the BCPs (border customs post) is back on, at least for fish, meat and dairy. They will have to enter NI through a BCP. Poots saying he wont allow it to be built on the DEFRA dept's lands, so it will have to be built at the port. DEFRA will pay for the BCP though. Says he was unwilling to pay the €40 million for it, but George Eustice, the UK Agriculture Secretary was not. So Defra is not paying for it but UK is.

StormWarning

Lmfao ... the only anti-Irish sentiment in these countries was from WASPS & Orangies who had made it there before them...

You’re pretty shit at this arent you 😂
Wealthy Anglo Saxon Protestants - the original 1% a very exclusive club - but they didn't like being so exposed, and perhaps isolated so became more inclusive, switching that W to White.

Dame_Enda

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
Using the Irish border issue as political leverage.
The Irish border issue was plainly visible in 2016. The EU hasn't sprung any information on the UK that the UK hadn't signed up to years ago and were fully aware of.

They just thought they could bluster their way through and not be held to account for attempts to breach international law.

Sidewindered

John Major and Tony Blair made the unprecedented move a few weeks before the Brexit referendum in 2016 of doing a joint press conference - two former PMs of opposing parties together - to warn that Brexit would cause chaos for the GFA and open many cans of wriggling worms

This too has fallen into the memory hole of our right-wing lunatic posters. Fecking eejits.

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
quite possible that that article, which I'm certain I will at least have seen, informed my decision to vote for Brexit. Didn't think that would be the first time I've ever voted with a majority but it is the first time I've ended up on the 'winning' side, which is so weird my brother even rang home as he knows I'm pro-European, as he thought that the Ma had mis-heard how I voted :)

I did explain to him that normally I would vote pro-Europe quite reliably but definitely I recall thinking it through on the night walking up to the polling station and not being able to come to any other conclusion that a vote for Brexit would accelerate Irish reunification because it would raise a load of issues against the GFA and it did.

I didn't think to be honest it would fire up the SNP and the Scottish debate as much as it has but that's just jam (still, for tea) :)

shiel

quite possible that that article, which I'm certain I will at least have seen, informed my decision to vote for Brexit. Didn't think that would be the first time I've ever voted with a majority but it is the first time I've ended up on the 'winning' side, which is so weird my brother even rang home as he knows I'm pro-European, as he thought that the Ma had mis-heard how I voted :)

I did explain to him that normally I would vote pro-Europe quite reliably but definitely I recall thinking it through on the night walking up to the polling station and not being able to come to any other conclusion that a vote for Brexit would accelerate Irish reunification because it would raise a load of issues against the GFA and it did.

I didn't think to be honest it would fire up the SNP and the Scottish debate as much as it has but that's just jam (still, for tea) :)
Voting with English racist Brexiteers for declaring economic war on the rest of Europe and for tearing up the Belfast/
Good Friday Agreement - an agreement that drew a conciliatory line under centuries of colonial rule - was brain dead.

I hope it will not prove to be the first step in a major calamity for the people of these islands, for the EU and for international cooperation world wide.

enuffisenuff

The Irish border issue was plainly visible in 2016. The EU hasn't sprung any information on the UK that the UK hadn't signed up to years ago and were fully aware of.

They just thought they could bluster their way through and not be held to account for attempts to breach international law.
yep its as simple as that!!!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom