Brexit, Chilcot and the "Special Relationship"

Prof Honeydew

Another consequence of the Brexit fallout on the special relationship is the possibility of Scottish independence. The loss of its Atlantic coastline diminishes Britain's strategic importance to the US military.

rainmaker

Administrator
America is not going to sever its relationship with Britain. But the relationship will slide down its list of priorities, maybe below those with France and Germany
I doubt that very much. The U.S. already has the cooperation it needs from Germany via NATO, of which the UK is a leading member and will continue to be a leading member.

It could be argued that with Poland and much of Eastern Europe now in NATO, they are are far more valuable to U.S intersts than France & Germany - the EU has a strong history of opposing U.S. foreign policy.

America and the EU will agree on most issues and disagree on others. By and large, they will find themselves on the same side in diplomatic matters involving Russia, militant Islam, security of oil supplies,
As recent history in Iraq shows, the EU has a history of not walking the walk when it comes to oil security...

As for the UK 'not mattering much' in oil supply security & Russia - The UK is a leading member of NATO & the permanent security council, it has the most powerful European military & is often involved in combat deployments.

I cannot say the same for the EU.

Last edited:

rainmaker

Administrator
Another consequence of the Brexit fallout on the special relationship is the possibility of Scottish independence. The loss of its Atlantic coastline diminishes Britain's strategic importance to the US military.
Again, I doubt that. The only military asset on the Atlantic coast is the strategic deterrent fleet and that would be relocated to Plymouth.

It doesn't really matter where the subs are based - the point is they are out there.

New Threads

Most Replies