• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Brexit lights touchpaper for next political firestorm – Irish unity

raetsel

OMG is that Gerry Adams!!! He covered up incest and rape

what a celebrity
My, you were up at the crack of dawn this morning, yabbering on relentlessly about your favourite obsession! I'm seriously impressed! :ROFLMAO:
Anyway, whether you or I like it or not, when an individual is being invited to appear on USA talk shows like Larry King Live it is perfectly fair to suggest they have achieved celebrity status. What you seem to fail to 'get' is the meaning of the word 'celebrity'.
I am very far from being an admirer of Adams by any means, as I've often made clear in past posts on this forum, but I am capable of being objective, something that you will never be.

McTell

Twitter
No
I can't help noticing that when the banks required vast sums of money from the state we found the money somehow.

Apparently they were 'systemic'. So my suggestion would be to regard reunification as 'systemic' and we are away on a hack.

Not every decision can be made via the balance sheet, as the bank bailout clearly showed.

That's a fair point, but some are still suffering a decade later. People died from a lack of care. More bankers and officials should have been jailed.

They should have let the banks go under, because now we have foreign or state owned "Irish" banks, which is what would have happened without the bailout, and without its costs.

The problem with the 6 counties, unlike the banks clusterfnck, is that the running costs will go on and on until forever, or we pay the surplus labour to move elsewhere.

And gratitude is something we won't get from either "side" after unity.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I wouldn't underestimate the challenges but I sense there may be a growing awareness across the community in Northern Ireland that reunification is possible and certainly desirable for Northern Ireland to stay within the EU, or at least maintain access to EU markets. The loss of access would be a serious blow to the NI economy.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
We could make a serious joint case for European special funding as part of a reunification process, bolster Northern Ireland's exports and wider economy with maintained access to EU markets within the single market.

Unusually in relation to Northern Ireland I can see more positive aspects for reunification. I suspect that cooler heads on the Unionist side can see that too.

McTell

Twitter
No
I wouldn't underestimate the challenges but I sense there may be a growing awareness across the community in Northern Ireland that reunification is possible and certainly desirable for Northern Ireland to stay within the EU, or at least maintain access to EU markets. The loss of access would be a serious blow to the NI economy.

I don't mind if they decide to join, but it's the £10 bn a year sub from London against customs duties that will probably be less. But it's not just the money, it's travel, european universities, in fact the good side of the EU is everything that ulster needs to change into.

Which is why sinn fein and paisley hated the eu.

And our cousins on the border have ehhhm, "traditional" skills in the area of evading customs.

devonish

That's all true, however the GB market is much more important to NI than the rest of the EU, which is why the initial proposed special status would have put NI in a great position.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
If Scotland's experience of being governed by a minority party in London and being used as a regional experiment station as the Tories did with the poll tax is anything to go by then there wouldn't be all that much in regionalism for Northern Ireland.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Even the Welsh are beginning to stir as regards nationalism once again- it is staggering how the Conservative Party have unerringly been in pursuit of a constitutional crisis in the UK. Having expended a lot of energy over the past 50 years on shoring up the union in Edinburgh and Cardiff they seem hell bent on firing arrows into the heart of the union with Brexit.

Newrybhoy

Even the Welsh are beginning to stir as regards nationalism once again- it is staggering how the Conservative Party have unerringly been in pursuit of a constitutional crisis in the UK. Having expended a lot of energy over the past 50 years on shoring up the union in Edinburgh and Cardiff they seem hell bent on firing arrows into the heart of the union with Brexit.

death or glory

Nothing new in that. They've been colluding behind the scenes since the start of the Troubles.
But didn't youse make a big scene about rev William McCrea supporting Billy Wright when there was a death threat against him by Loyalists YET had no problem with the leader of the SDLP being friends with a INLA terrorist and even taking part in a paramilitary type funeral.

raetsel

But didn't youse make a big scene about rev William McCrea supporting Billy Wright when there was a death threat against him by Loyalists YET had no problem with the leader of the SDLP being friends with a INLA terrorist and even taking part in a paramilitary type funeral.
The difference was that in Eastwood's case he was attending the funeral of a friend from childhood, who had was a former paramilitary, but hadn't been active for a number of years, and by the time of his death, the organisations he had been involved with had fully committed to democratic politics. What's the difference between that and Arlene Foster attending the funeral of Martin McGuinness. Does that make her an IRA sympathiser?
On the other hand McCrea was giving highly visible support for Billy Wright who was very much active at that time leading a campaign of random murders of Catholics in mid Ulster, and of course that death threat from fellow loyalists didn't come out of nowhere. Wright wouldn't have been threatened with murder by fellow loyalists had he not been deeply involved in other criminality. McCrea could have made intercessions discreetly and privately to get the fatwa called off. Yet he chose to stand shoulder to shoulder with a known fanatical serial killer. That sent a very unambiguous message, that he thought Wright was a top guy.
If you cannot see the massive difference in those two events I cannot help your ability to reason it out further.

Newrybhoy

The difference was that in Eastwood's case he was attending the funeral of a friend from childhood, who had was a former paramilitary, but hadn't been active for a number of years, and by the time of his death, the organisations he had been involved with had fully committed to democratic politics. What's the difference between that and Arlene Foster attending the funeral of Martin McGuinness. Does that make her an IRA sympathiser?
On the other hand McCrea was giving highly visible support for Billy Wright who was very much active at that time leading a campaign of random murders of Catholics in mid Ulster, and of course that death threat from fellow loyalists didn't come out of nowhere. Wright wouldn't have been threatened with murder by fellow loyalists had he not been deeply involved in other criminality. McCrea could have made intercessions discreetly and privately to get the fatwa called off. Yet he chose to stand shoulder to shoulder with a known fanatical serial killer. That sent a very unambiguous message, that he thought Wright was a top guy.
If you cannot see the massive difference in those two events I cannot help your ability to reason it out further.
The INLA are involved in criminality to this day.

Wright was never convicted of murdering anyone.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies