Brexit the DUP and the Irish border

ivnryn

And post Brexit, you close the airspace and yet you expect the RAF to enforce it?
I was being sarcastic (I added a smilie). If there is no deal, then Ireland probably does need to look into defending its own airspace.

Having said that, commercial traffic isn't going to breech Irish airspace even if there is no defense, since they risk legal problems and a lack of air traffic controls.

Buy a map ffs
I did a quick check.

You can check the distances by right clicking on Shannon and then selecting measure distance. You then click the SW of UK marker and then click on the marker at Paris. It works out the total distance.

Shannon to SW of UK and then over to Paris is 1,131.44 km.

Shannon to Paris direct is 905.72 km.

It is longer to have to bypass UK but not that much longer (+25%).

raetsel

And who would enforce the no-fly zone over Eire?
Are you seriously suggesting that the airlines would break international law? What sort of tomfoolery is this? Not that it will ever arise anyway, because whatever the outcome of Brexshi t I think it is safe to say that short term contingency arrangements will be produced in good time to keep planes flying.

Niall996

I was being sarcastic (I added a smilie). If there is no deal, then Ireland probably does need to look into defending its own airspace.

Having said that, commercial traffic isn't going to breech Irish airspace even if there is no defense, since they risk legal problems and a lack of air traffic controls.

I did a quick check.

You can check the distances by right clicking on Shannon and then selecting measure distance. You then click the SW of UK marker and then click on the marker at Paris. It works out the total distance.

Shannon to SW of UK and then over to Paris is 1,131.44 km.

Shannon to Paris direct is 905.72 km.

It is longer to have to bypass UK but not that much longer (+25%).
Yeah, i’ve seen it. Less than half an hour extra in general. Which the loyalists on here think is an existential threat to Ireland forgetting that they won’t be able to land anywhere in Europe at all - even if it was five minutes away - and would have to loop up to the Artic circle or down to the Sahara desert to get to Turkey or anywhere east under the DUP deal. They are so hilariously thick.

AhNowStop

Yeah, i’ve seen it. Less than half an hour extra in general. Which the loyalists on here think is an existential threat to Ireland forgetting that they won’t be able to land anywhere in Europe at all - even if it was five minutes away - and would have to loop up to the Artic circle or down to the Sahara desert to get to Turkey or anywhere east under the DUP deal. They are so hilariously thick.

It’s incredible just how thick though ... un-feckin-real :shock:

firefly123

Jokes on you.
They will go around the other way!
Except flat earthers. They will go diagonally

PAGE61

Another report out today saying Brexit would harm the occupied 6 counties of Ireland, but the reunification of Ireland would be a boost for the whole country - this time the report is from Dr Kurt Hubner, the famous German economist.

United Ireland ‘only winning scenario’ after Brexit – report claims but unionist sceptical saying it would be economically detrimental - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
It makes perfect sense and is a win win for all involved .

between the bridges

It makes perfect sense and is a win win for all involved .
Lmfao, has the knights of the red banners ahem 'report' been launched yet again? whats that now four times?...

When is “an independent study” on Irish unification not independent?
Pete Baker on November 21, 2015,

When it has been commissioned, under cover, by Friends of Sinn Féin USA, perhaps…

When is Toole

March 26, 2016,

In the Irish News, Newton Emerson has fun with the recent Sinn Féin re-launch [and re-re-launch! – Ed] of the report they commissioned, under cover of the “Knights of the Red Branch Inc”, of the benefits of an economically right-wing united Ireland.

Toole

McSlaggart

Lmfao, has the knights of the red banners ahem 'report' been launched yet again? whats that now four times?...

When it has been commissioned, under cover, by Friends of Sinn Féin USA, perhaps…

When is Toole

March 26, 2016,

In the Irish News, Newton Emerson has fun with the recent Sinn Féin re-launch [and re-re-launch! – Ed] of the report they commissioned, under cover of the “Knights of the Red Branch Inc”, of the benefits of an economically right-wing united Ireland.

Toole
i think your of course correct if unionism cannot make northern Ireland work then no one else could. Look at the great way the DUP manage their position of power.

Talk Back

When is Toole

March 26, 2016,

Toole
You have been told numerous times that Ireland as a whole will be better off.

The Irish Government says Ireland as a whole can afford to reunite. Dail Eireann have been working on elements of a reunification paper through its 'Joint Committee on the Implementation of the Good Friday Agreement'. They produced a paper last August called 'Uniting Ireland & its People in Peace & Prosperity'

Listen @ 25. https://audioboom.com/posts/6820573-...scuss-bbcnolan

Read. http://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireach...sperity_en.pdf

A few weeks ago on BBC radio, Paul Gosling, an economic writer, researcher and broadcaster of some repute talked about the 6 county economic benefit, following the reunification of Ireland and the ending of British rule.

Listen @ 1.46. https://audioboom.com/posts/6820573-...scuss-bbcnolan

And here is the Paul Gosling report on the benefits of the reunification of Ireland for the 6 counties. The economic effect of an all-island economy | Paul Gosling

"This report concludes that there is a significant positive potential economic benefit from Irish reunification, particularly for the citizens of Northern Ireland. It is recommended that preparations begin now in accordance with Article 3 of the Irish constitution, as amended following the Good Friday Agreement. Progress towards achieving an all island economy should be reviewed annually by the Oireachtas."

The 'Southern Ireland' State sits atop the European growth charts, while the 'Northern Ireland' statelet is down at the bottom. EY’s Economic Eye, Winter 2017

What with Brexit and the decline of Unionism, British rule in Ireland is coming to an end - and soon. It's time for Unionists to accept their fate, and work with the rest of us to make Ireland a better place for all.

theloner

DUP threatening to rip up May's cheque over principles, pull the other one. DUP is Friar Tucked. They've pushed the water cowards in FG to hate them, they've pushed every other party in NI including their erstwhile bigoted f**kwits in the TUV to hate them. The UUP thinks they are the biggest threat to the union and the DUP is now blaming the Tories. Now Sammy is threatening the Tories with Jezza C?
Pass the popcorn, Micky.

Last edited:

Oliver Cromwell McIvor

Oh Corbyn. For a moment there I thought a Clarkson and Borris dream team were gonna initiate a coup.

firefly123

DUP threatening to rip up May's cheque over principles, pull the other one. DUP is Friar Tucked. They've pushed the water cowards in FG to hate them, they've pushed every other party in NI including their erstwhile bigoted f**kwits in the TUV to hate them. The UUP thinks they are the biggest threat to the union and the DUP is now blaming the Tories. Now Sammy is threatening the Tories with Jezza C?
Pass the popcorn, Micky.
It's a circular firing squad.

May "threatens" the EU with the economic self destruction of the UK and Sammy "threatens" the UK with a republican sympathizer.

It's ridiculous.

The Herren

During a polite discussion I was having with another poster I asked him how he though the House of Commons would vote on a final deal, and out of the blue, and from nowhere you angrily blundered in and went on a rant, telling us we didn't know what we were talking about and that this sort of thing wasn't allowed on the site. Wtf?

I'm still wondering if you're even sane. :lol:
I am entitled to take part in Pie debates, unless you want to have a version of Pie that only you and those posters you approve of are allowed to take part.

As for the angry bit, look back on my history, assuming the Mods have not deleted most of it and you will see that ANGRY in your case I was not.

mangaire1

Dont forget that the counties were an English construct.

Ulster existed long before the counties were defined and the original Ulster was centred on the east of the Province where the Ulliaid lived.

So originally Ulster and what is now NI would have been much more similar than today's 9 county Ulster.
yeah,
but you live in .…...........…. ahem …….............…….. "today's 9 county Ulster."

The Herren

It's a circular firing squad.

May "threatens" the EU with the economic self destruction of the UK and Sammy "threatens" the UK with a republican sympathizer.

It's ridiculous.
Now Boris's brother, a Remainer, has resigned. The Brits would be better off living in the real world rather than wearing silly emblems and hypocritically "remembering" the war dead while the last shytty tattered discredited remnant of their once Glorious Empire is the laughing stock of a real modem vibrant world.

Newrybhoy

yeah,
but you live in .…...........…. ahem …….............…….. "today's 9 county Ulster."
As has been said, calling NI "Ulster" is the equivalent of calling the 26 counties "Ireland".

Technically wrong but not worth getting worried about.