• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Brexit the DUP and the Irish border

Niall996

What? You want to go with miles and feet and cups and quarts and gallons and Fahrenheit too?

You're on your own, mister.
Whatever/whichever works for whoever/whomever.

McSlaggart

They mean that it is simply ridiculous to pretend that Northern Ireland is in every respect the same as Britain. That is why the Northern Ireland issue has been so highly charged within the wider Brexit argument. These necessary differences around Brexit reflect Northern Ireland’s deeper distinctness from Britain. This ought not to be a controversial or provocative statement, if we understand what a union of this kind actually is. It is a union of different nations and traditions in which much is shared but where much remains distinct. The Democratic Unionist party’s idea that everything in the Brexit settlement – if there ever is one – has to reflect nothing except Northern Ireland’s place in the union is only true if we accept that difference is inherent to that union. The DUP does not accept that.

A complex union

Mrs May has been unreasonably indulgent to the DUP. She needs its votes in a hung parliament. But she is plain wrong to treat the DUP as the voice of Northern Ireland. It is the voice of part of it. Even then, its support of Brexit is at odds with the majority and with very large parts of its own electorate. It is therefore to Mrs May’s credit that she agreed with the EU to a backstop on Northern Ireland that did not and could not give the DUP exactly what it demanded. Those who oppose her backstop plan do not understand the UK union.

The Guardian view on the state of the union | Editorial | Opinion | The Guardian

Niall996

The Union is falling apart. They need another war and few hundred thousand dead to reboot it for another half century. It's just a question of finding a suitable enemy.

raetsel

Chickens finally coming home to roost for the DUP.

Brexit threat to Northern Ireland jobs revealed by civil service chief | Politics | The Guardian

Unemployment could rise sharply in Northern Ireland if the UK crashes out of the EU, the head of the civil service in the region has said in a letter to local political parties.

Security in the region could also be undermined, David Sterling said, adding: “The planning assumptions include the possibility that, in some scenarios, a no-deal exit could result in additional challenges for the police if the approach appeared to be unfair or unreasonable for some of those most affected.”
Sterling warns that EU tariffs could kill off some farming and food processing interests. “In effect, there is currently no mitigation available for the severe consequences of a no-deal outcome,” the letter says.

“These consequences do not arise from the possibility of checks or controls on either side of the land border, but would simply be the direct consequence of the legal position that would apply. This point is well understood by the business community.”
It's mind boggling how any Irish person could be idiotic enough to possibly think that Brexit could have a positive outcome for the all Ireland economy.

cozzy121

michael-mcivor

Northern unionist business blown up 6 times, southern nationalist business untouched.

Now remind us about ethnic cleansing again.
UVF Unionists bombed Dublin Monaghan etc businesses- it’s a pure brit disgrace that you can come out with such rubbish-

Paddyc

Northern unionist business blown up 6 times, southern nationalist business untouched.

Now remind us about ethnic cleansing again.
The Glennane Gang killed an estimated 120 people, one of whom was an IRA suspect, all of the others were uninvolved catholics.

Now that's ethnic cleansing.

raetsel

The Union is falling apart. They need another war and few hundred thousand dead to reboot it for another half century. It's just a question of finding a suitable enemy.
Another nadir today.

Soldiers who killed during Northern Ireland Troubles acted with dignity, says Karen Bradley - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Bradley has in effect given a NIO carte blanche stamp of approval for every security force killing during the Troubles, including it seems those we already know to be murders, just while the harrowing revelations are emerging daily from the Ballymurphy inquest, not to mention the imminent decision on Bloody Sunday prosecutions.

I'm not sure if this is just another example of the monumental stupidity that has been Bradley's single most distinguishing feature as SoS - NI, or if the Tories are now actively trolling nationalists in an effort to curry favour with the DUP, ahead of another Brexit vote. Either way this sort of behaviour is adding immensely to the alienation growing within nationalism at the minute, which is inexorably building momentum towards a border poll within the next 2 years. Had someone told me just three years ago that this was a likely outcome within a five year time-frame, I'd have dismissed them as deluded republican wishful thinkers, because the support for it just didn't exist then. Now not only it does it exist, but the possibility of an Irish unity vote being carried actually looks achievable for the first time ever.
FG are setting up a branch in Queens Uni Belfast. FG the Republican party not FF ? - Page 3
The irony, which won't be lost on nationalists, is that Bradley took her lead from a pointless question asked by Emma Little Pengelly MP, the daughter of a DUP-Ulster Resistance terrorist responsible for the importation of weapons which were subsequently responsible for the murder of over 100 people.
Bradley will be wishing before the day is out that she had chosen her words a lot more carefully.
She is an astonishingly idiotic cabinet minister, even in a British cabinet which looks the most incompetent in the last 100 years, if not ever.

Last edited:

Mickeymac

Another nadir today.

Soldiers who killed during Northern Ireland Troubles acted with dignity, says Karen Bradley - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Bradley has in effect given a NIO carte blanche stamp of approval for every security force killing during the Troubles, including it seems those we already know to be murders, just while the harrowing revelations are emerging daily from the Ballymurphy inquest, not to mention the imminent decision on Bloody Sunday prosecutions.

I'm not sure if this is just another example of the monumental stupidity that has been Bradley's single most distinguishing feature as SoS - NI, or if the Tories are now actively trolling nationalists in an effort to curry favour with the DUP, ahead of another Brexit vote. Either way this sort of behaviour is adding immensely to the alienation growing within nationalism at the minute, which is inexorably building momentum towards a border poll within the next 2 years. Had someone told me just three years ago that this was a likely outcome within a five year time-frame, I'd have dismissed them as deluded republican wishful thinkers, because the support for it just didn't exist then. Now not only it does it exist, but the possibility of an Irish unity vote being carried actually looks achievable for the first time ever.
FG are setting up a branch in Queens Uni Belfast. FG the Republican party not FF ? - Page 3
The irony, which won't be lost on nationalists, is that Bradley took her lead from a pointless question asked by Emma Little Pengelly MP, the daughter of a DUP-Ulster Resistance terrorist responsible for the importation of weapons which were subsequently responsible for the murder of over 100 people.
Bradley will be wishing before the day is out that she had chosen her words a lot more carefully.
She is an astonishingly idiotic cabinet minister, even in a British cabinet which looks the most incompetent in the last 100 years, if not ever.

I read your post in complete awe Raetsel, how is this "SoS" allowed let loose on a deeply divided society coming to terms with a horrible past of death and destruction on a daily basis, she needs to be dismissed immediately before she starts something her incompetence would fail to stop.

Paddyc

I read your post in complete awe Raetsel, how is this "SoS" allowed let loose on a deeply divided society coming to terms with a horrible past of death and destruction on a daily basis, she needs to be dismissed immediately before she starts something her incompetence would fail to stop.
Naomi Long nailed her with this one:

"Her claim in the House of Commons that she has approached resolving this impasse with laser-like focus is evidence only that we can now add lasers to the list of things the secretary of state knows nothing about,"

Mickeymac

Naomi Long nailed her with this one:

"Her claim in the House of Commons that she has approached resolving this impasse with laser-like focus is evidence only that we can now add lasers to the list of things the secretary of state knows nothing about,"

I read her comments Paddy and I find her to be the most sensible unionist I have ever came across, I believe this Lady has a big future in the new Ireland of equals.

Paddyc

I read her comments Paddy and I find her to be the most sensible unionist I have ever came across, I believe this Lady has a big future in the new Ireland of equals.
Plenty of sensible Unionists around the place, the problem is it's the Sammy Wilsons of this world who get all the headlines.

Mickeymac

Plenty of sensible Unionists around the place, the problem is it's the Sammy Wilsons of this world who get all the headlines.

100% Paddy, many years ago I developed a policy of determining people connected to the whole North of Ireland quagmire by splitting them into two groups, not Catholic, Protestant, Unionist or Nationalist just simply by pro-peace or anti-peace, that way I find it quite easy to identify those who are right and those who are wrong or in some cases downright evil.