• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

BREXIT: the general forum (Second Thread)

Dearghoul

It may be time to consider some kind of IQ threshold before allowing people access to the internet.

At this stage it seems obvious that manipulation of the clearly dim through social media is probably a bigger threat to Western civilization than IS ever was.
I suspect that the second part of that is spot on, however the first smacks of dimmism and the dim have been underrepresented until jes' about a while ago.

Their day seems to have come.

Dearghoul

Chances are a good 20% of conservatives are gonna rebel no matter who gets the gig. Therefore there's going to be a general election before brexit. This will decimate the Tories (luvly) as the BXP steal their spot. However the BXP won't make enough gains and will therefore open the door to Labour and the lib dems if those party's use their heads.
Labour particularly will reap a huge amount of marginals thanks to the brexit party especially if they come out as a remain party. Sure they will lose seats in the north east but I firmly believe they are going to lose them to the brexit party anyway.

The vagaries of the first past the post system will gut the brexiteers if the remain parties used their fupping heads.
They don't even have to.

The Lib Dems are second party across a swathe of Southern England, apart from their other isolated strongholds. A split Brexit vote will let them in the door in a minority government with or without Labour Party support.

Nicely ironic if the FPTP system of which they've been the greatest critics delivers for them.

midlander12

They don't even have to.

The Lib Dems are second party across a swathe of Southern England, apart from their other isolated strongholds. A split Brexit vote will let them in the door in a minority government with or without Labour Party support.

Nicely ironic if the FPTP system of which they've been the greatest critics delivers for them.
Yes I was going to reply along those lines so you've saved me the trouble. I don't see the BXP winning many seats at all - possibly none in fact, and even on the basis of their Euro results they would win feck-all, as they got little more than 30% in most constituencies. The Tories will recover somewhat, but the BXP will split their vote and lose them a swathe of seats, letting in the LD's and possibly the Greens in some areas (they should do an electoral pact by the way).

As for Lab, they are bleeding votes to the LD's as a result of their failure to back Remain and also losing a bit to the BXP in places like the north-east. They will hold on their core areas, but frankly I would not bet the house on Corbyn coming back with more than 150 seats.

Dearghoul

Yes I was going to reply along those lines so you've saved me the trouble. I don't see the BXP winning many seats at all - possibly none in fact, and even on the basis of their Euro results they would win feck-all, as they got little more than 30% in most constituencies. The Tories will recover somewhat, but the BXP will split their vote and lose them a swathe of seats, letting in the LD's and possibly the Greens in some areas (they should do an electoral pact by the way).

As for Lab, they are bleeding votes to the LD's as a result of their failure to back Remain and also losing a bit to the BXP in places like the north-east. They will hold on their core areas, but frankly I would not bet the house on Corbyn coming back with more than 150 seats.

There was this: https://i.redd.it/4artc7q43f131.png after the recent Euros, which was presumably not taking remain tactical voting into account.

A LIb Dem/ Grn/ PC/ Scot Nat coalition would be well short of the magical 326, however the opposition would be so divided as to make it a relatively stable minority government.

wombat

There is always the possibility that people will vote for stability and decide that neither Labour nor Conservatives can offer it. It may be that enough will defect to the Lib Dems to make them the lead party in whatever coalition is formed.

Surkov

After the local and Euro election results I would say that the chances of that 'known Communist' reaching No 10 are dramatically reduced. Some of the Remain Tories may jump ship to the LD's and others may just resign their seats- they certainly would have no future in the Tory Party but then quite possibly the Tory Party itself will have no future in power for many decades.

A lot could happen in the 2 weeks between the two confidence votes, too.
IT took forever to get rid of May. If Corbyn wants to stay as leader, he bloody well will. As long as the membership back him. Plus, he might be replaced by somebody of the same communist mindset -the fear and mistrust in the LP will persist even after they finally, eventually get him off the throne.

Also, the handful of Tories that would actually step down and take a huge risk of letting Corbyn in the door of No. 10, might be swayed by the promise of promotions and the carrot of a higher salary. No one can seriously doubt how very real a possibility that is.

Cdebru

IT took forever to get rid of May. If Corbyn wants to stay as leader, he bloody well will. As long as the membership back him. Plus, he might be replaced by somebody of the same communist mindset -the fear and mistrust in the LP will persist even after they finally, eventually get him off the throne.

Also, the handful of Tories that would actually step down and take a huge risk of letting Corbyn in the door of No. 10, might be swayed by the promise of promotions and the carrot of a higher salary. No one can seriously doubt how very real a possibility that is.
The way things are looking at the moment the Tories nor Labour will be leading the next Government, there are enough Tory MPs who will refuse to allow no deal brexit which takes it off the table this side of a general election.

Surkov

The way things are looking at the moment the Tories nor Labour will be leading the next Government, there are enough Tory MPs who will refuse to allow no deal brexit which takes it off the table this side of a general election.
Enough MP's would have to resign from the Conservative Party. That's a big step. Especially if it triggers a GE and Corbyn in no. 10. Even the hardest remainer Tories would prefer WTO Brexit to Corbyn in no. 10.

shiel

Enough MP's would have to resign from the Conservative Party. That's a big step. Especially if it triggers a GE and Corbyn in no. 10. Even the hardest remainer Tories would prefer WTO Brexit to Corbyn in no. 10.
So no deal it is in your opinion?

Dame_Enda

Good news for the Brexiteers. The Commons has rejected by 309-298 a Labour motion to take control of business on June 25th to allow a motion to block a No-Deal Brexit. MPs reject Labour plan for no-deal vote

10 Tories voted for the motion, but 8 Labour MPs voted against it. The DUP this time voted with the government.

RasherHash

wombat

I still read the Telegraph regularly, mainly because of the quality of their football writers, and it gives a decent insight to how the Brexiters think/react. What is interesting is that the focus is no longer on the issue of Brexit but on the survival of the Conservative party - reminds me of the quote from Edward Carson: I was in earnest. What a fool I was. I was only a puppet, and so was Ulster, and so was Ireland, in the political game that was to get the Conservative Party into power.

shiel

This is what it's all about folks , corporations are running the world and couldn't give two hoots about the working man and woman , cheap imported labour thats all they care about that and maximum profits.
hard to believe people don't get it yet .
The Alternative to the free market collapsed in the end of the 1980s when the Soviet Union collapsed.

Democracy and free market economics are less than perfect as we see daily.

But the alternatives have not been great either.

Human institutions are liable to being corrupted.

We have to keep working on it and are not guaranteed success.

shiel

I still read the Telegraph regularly, mainly because of the quality of their football writers, and it gives a decent insight to how the Brexiters think/react. What is interesting is that the focus is no longer on the issue of Brexit but on the survival of the Conservative party - reminds me of the quote from Edward Carson: I was in earnest. What a fool I was. I was only a puppet, and so was Ulster, and so was Ireland, in the political game that was to get the Conservative Party into power.
That is an incredible quote.

In 1912 the Conservative party supported civil war against the most powerful parliament in the world in Westminster in which it was the opposition.

Cdebru

This is what it's all about folks , corporations are running the world and couldn't give two hoots about the working man and woman , cheap imported labour thats all they care about that and maximum profits.
hard to believe people don't get it yet .
Except the ECJ has given numerous decisions that actually strengthen workers rights, the complaints in this video are disingenuous, they didn't remove any rights they held that the action had to be proportionate to achieve the goal, they also put it back to the member state courts to decide on what was proportionate, it also stated that the right to strike was a fundamental right.

How does leaving the EU improve the rights of workers in the UK ? Who would you trust more if you were a worker in the UK the ECJ or the Tories or indeed the Labour Party ?

It should also be noted that the 2 Judgments mentioned in the video are 12 years ago, so surely someone can point to where these judgments have been used to limit the right to strike ?

Example of ECJ judgments that strengthened workers rights

Link to article on top 10 ways EU protects workers rights

Risteard

The destruction of the so-called "EU" is the true and correct position for all of the Irish people to hold, and therefore Brexit should be encouraged.

The laughable Provos not even realising that they are at odds with Sinn Féin policy shows how truly pathetic and treacherous they are.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies