BREXIT: the general forum (Second Thread)

wombat

I'm assuming they mean an 'All Ireland' food regime using whatever UK standards are in force at the time?
It will have to mean that the UK complies with EU standards. That's fine except that northern farmers will be outside CAP and will be competing with southern farmers who still get payments from EU.

Splodge

It will have to mean that the UK complies with EU standards. That's fine except that northern farmers will be outside CAP and will be competing with southern farmers who still get payments from EU.
The DUP and the British gov wouldn’t agree with that. And around and around we go.

wombat

The DUP and the British gov wouldn’t agree with that. And around and around we go.
I was responding to a post which responded to a claim that the DUP proposed an all Ireland food zone. They spent 3 years negotiating a withdrawal agreement because it was difficult, not because they were getting expenses in Brussels.

Splodge

I was responding to a post which responded to a claim that the DUP proposed an all Ireland food zone. They spent 3 years negotiating a withdrawal agreement because it was difficult, not because they were getting expenses in Brussels.
I agree with you.

livingstone

I only read it on the front page. I don't know the details.
Right. So we can dismiss that then since you’ve not bothered to inform yourself.

So we’re back to the question I asked:

- since technology can’t check a cow for disease, without the backstop how do you avoid checks at the border.

wombat

without the backstop how do you avoid checks at the border.
By implementing the rest of the WA, the backstop only comes into force if the EU/UK negotiations for a trade deal don't lead to a free trade agreement.

livingstone

By implementing the rest of the WA, the backstop only comes into force if the EU/UK negotiations for a trade deal don't lead to a free trade agreement.
Yeah that’s how it works as drafted.

I’m asking DE how, in the absence of that arrangement you could avoid checks at the border. Unsurprisingly he lacks an answer.

firefly123

I would like to thank the EU and RoI for overreaching and producing such an awful withdrawal deal for the UK. So awful that every political party in the UK rejected it outright 3 times. And in staunchly demanding we sign this deal it made one of the weakest PMs the UK ever had resign and moved the power into brexiteer hands.

A full brexit, with full independence is coming.

Thank you guys. Great job. Naturally Ireland is now f**ked, but you just couldn't resist could you, getting one over Johnny Englishman, it was too tempting eh? Giving the finger to England over past grievances made you smile eh as you patted the green, white and gold lapel on your chest. Anglophobia has ruined you.
You ok hun?

death or glory

So absent the backstop, how do you avoid checks at the border? Given that you acknowledge that testing animals for diseases by app is some way in the future..,
At the moment animals have to be tested and inspected by a vet before crossing the border.
So there will be very little difference.

death or glory

No they don’t.
Oh yes they do.
Farm animals need to have a permit to cross the border, and need inspected by a vet in the country of export to sign them off.
It just shows the majority of peoples ignorance of current border regulations.

wombat

At the moment animals have to be tested and inspected by a vet before crossing the border.
So there will be very little difference.
The way the single market operates is that goods produced within the EU are presumed to be in compliance with EU standards, its one of the reasons there are so many regulations regarding production of anything but especially food. Once the UK leaves the EU, the presumption of compliance goes, so free movement goes with it. The regulations the Brexiters hate are what allows free movement.

death or glory

The way the single market operates is that goods produced within the EU are presumed to be in compliance with EU standards, its one of the reasons there are so many regulations regarding production of anything but especially food. Once the UK leaves the EU, the presumption of compliance goes, so free movement goes with it. The regulations the Brexiters hate are what allows free movement.
Sheep bought in Donemana mart being exported a few miles across the border to Lifford need inspected by a vet to sign before they cross.

Likewise cattle bought in Raphoe mart need to be firstly eligible for export and then inspected by a vet before export.

galteeman

I would like to thank the EU and RoI for overreaching and producing such an awful withdrawal deal for the UK. So awful that every political party in the UK rejected it outright 3 times. And in staunchly demanding we sign this deal it made one of the weakest PMs the UK ever had resign and moved the power into brexiteer hands.

A full brexit, with full independence is coming.

Thank you guys. Great job. Naturally Ireland is now f**ked, but you just couldn't resist could you, getting one over Johnny Englishman, it was too tempting eh? Giving the finger to England over past grievances made you smile eh as you patted the green, white and gold lapel on your chest. Anglophobia has ruined you.
I thought you Brexiteers say no deal will be fine and it's only project fear mark 2 blah de blah, so why would Ireland be ****ed?

Cai

Right. So we can dismiss that then since you’ve not bothered to inform yourself.

So we’re back to the question I asked:

- since technology can’t check a cow for disease, without the backstop how do you avoid checks at the border.
Years ago when the kids were small we stayed in a caravan in County Louth. One day the wife went swimming with the children & I had time to kill. I drove along the border in South Armagh - & it was a sight to behold - helicopters high, high in the sky, every bit of high ground taken up with observation infrastructure & police stations looking more like barbed wired covered metal submarines in the centre of villages. The roads & lanes were buried in IRA paraphernalia.

That was about three months after the ceasefire. A few months previously - in the dying days of the Troubles - huge bombs had been built into lorries & taken from Dublin to Holyhead & detonated in central London. Apparently the building had taken place in South Armagh & the lorries were smuggled over the border & driven to Dublin Port.

Even if technology sorts out legal movement of goods, how does it deal with illegal movements - when a huge army & massive observation infrastructure failed to do so in the past?

galteeman

I've always felt that it was a mistake to defer the negotiations on the permanent arrangements until after Brexit has happened. It effectively drags on the negotiations for years if not decades afterwards, with all the uncertainty that poses for business.

I think FGs approach to the negotiations reflects the inexperience of its young leadership particularly in foreign policy. They do not appreciate the continuing importance of the UK economy to Irish exporters, mostly the role of the land bridge in bringing exports through the UK and on to Mainland Europe. They have not told us what they will do to avoid long delays in British ports for Irish hauliers.
You don't get it do you? If there was no Ireland and no backstop the Brexiteers would invent something else to wreck the deal anyway. Didn't Boris himself say how minimal our importance is when he said Ireland is only a gnat?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies