BREXIT: the general forum (Second Thread)

Paddyc

I don't think you can move them either way. A farmer I know straddles the border and I seem to remember him saying I feel cattle strayed across he had to get them back before they were discovered.

They will either be a northern herd or a southern herd.
They will have nationally issued herd numbers for sure, but moving one's own cattle on one's own land?

death or glory

Unlike you, evidently, I have actually looked at the relevant legal provisions.
What bollox.
I have told you repeatedly what has to happen for farm livestock to cross the border and even gave you a couple of real practical examples.
I don't know what EU legislation it comes under and couldn't be arsed looking for it just to humour a know it all, like you.
The more you argue, the more stupid you look.

death or glory

I don't think you can move them either way. A farmer I know straddles the border and I seem to remember him saying I feel cattle strayed across he had to get them back before they were discovered.

They will either be a northern herd or a southern herd.
That is if you do it legally.
Off course in reality that is not the case.

livingstone

What bollox.
I have told you repeatedly what has to happen for farm livestock to cross the border and even gave you a couple of real practical examples.
I don't know what EU legislation it comes under and couldn't be arsed looking for it just to humour a know it all, like you.
But that’s just the thing - I’ve looked at the legal position and you’re talking boll0x. Provided a farmer is complying with basic transportation standards they do not require any specific permit to move their animals across the border.

And crucially there are no checks at the border.

Your whole story is not just apparently inaccurate - it is also irrelevant to the issue of checks at the border.

death or glory

But that’s just the thing - I’ve looked at the legal position and you’re talking boll0x. Provided a farmer is complying with basic transportation standards they do not require any specific permit to move their animals across the border.

Your whole story is not just apparently inaccurate - it is also irrelevant to the issue of checks at the border.
I never said there were checks actually at the border, what actually happens is they are checked at premises before they cross the border. They are not checked in the cattle trailers because it has nothing to do with how they will be transported across the border.
That is still a border check.

So show us this legal provision that you think says there is no checks.

When you have no experience or knowledge of such matters, it makes sense to keep your trap shut, but if you want to look more stupid, please keep going.

livingstone

They will have nationally issued herd numbers for sure, but moving one's own cattle on one's own land?
They’re talking nonsense. They’re talking about restrictions on transportation of animals. The verification requirements don’t apply to farmers moving animals less than 65km and doesn’t apply to animals wandering from one field to another. That law certainly doesn’t require animal health testing before export and definitely doesn’t impose checks at the border.

antidistinctlyminty (ADM)

What bollox.
Are you saying that the EU legislation in this area will apply to NI after Brexit - Isn't the whole purpose of Brexit to be free of EU Legislation

Mickeymac

Interesting article on Fintan's plan for a no-deal Brexit scenario.:D

livingstone

I never said there were checks actually at the border, what actually happens is they are checked at premises before they cross the border. They are not checked in the cattle trailers because it has nothing to do with how they will be transported across the border.
That is still a border check.

So show us this legal provision that you think says there is no checks.

When you have no experience or knowledge of such matters, it makes sense to keep your trap shut, but if you want to look more stupid, please keep going.
As I said, the law on transportation approvals is pretty clear. What you're describing is not a 'border check'. For one thing, farmers have general legal duties throughout the EU to ensure the health of their animals, so what you're describing would not be a new check. But most importantly, there is a world of difference between 'you need to have the vet come to your premises some time' and 'you need to queue up here every time you cross the border to process your milk or move a cow to a slaughterer south of the border'.

firefly123

I feel sorry for you. You’re going to be bitterly disappointed. Will you move back to Scotland?
What if Scotland leaves the UK? Does that change the situation? If it's just England and Wales will that still be the same for unionists? What if it was just England?
Would it be the United kingdom of England and Northern Ireland?
I honestly think there's now a good chance that the English might vote to remove the north. What then?
In a way would that be the best option to prevent the outbreak of violence up north? What could loyalists do then? Seek some sort of independent Norn Iron state?

death or glory

Here mucker,
It was you who first mentioned a cow crossing the border and trying to use it as an example of currently having no checks.
I repeatedly told you that checks actually happen.

Now I spent 2 minutes on google and found the relevant proper regulations on export from Northern Ireland.

Now if the rest of Eire is as silly as you, not a bit wonder youse think the backstop to prevent a hard border causing a hard border is a good idea.

petaljam

Now I spent 2 minutes on google and found the relevant proper regulations on export from Northern Ireland.

Now if the rest of Eire is as silly as you, not a bit wonder youse think the backstop to prevent a hard border causing a hard border is a good idea.
But according to your own link, checks also have to be carried out for export from NI to GB? So much for no border in the Irish Sea.
Cattle being exported for breeding or production from Northern Ireland to Great Britain must be accompanied by an export health certificate

galteeman

Unlike you, evidently, I have actually looked at the relevant legal provisions.

The link you provide contains nothing about animals needing export permits if moving within the EU. It refers to the need for transporters to be authorised. Not animals. And not for journey's of farmers of under 65km (not just for non-commercial travel, by the way).
It's pointless, he didn't even read his own link....

death or glory

But according to your own link, checks also have to be carried out for export from NI to GB? So much for no border in the Irish Sea.
Everybody knows there are checks on animals transported from the mainland, it is on all news coverage that shows a dept official shining a torch through a cattle lorry to look at stock.
I never claimed different because I only chat on subjects I actually know about unlike some who spout on as if they are knowledgeable but actually know SFA.
So how can you claim i didn't read my own link, when it proves my position.
It's looking like youse deserve the backstop and enforcing the border.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom