BREXIT: the general forum (Second Thread)

CatullusV

It is a civil servants assessment. of worst case scenario, in a worst case scenario you can make arguments for anything to happen no matter how unlikely they are.
It is assessment owned by the current government and, as has been pointed out, is baseline, rather than worst case.

Dame_Enda

On the question of holdups at the ports, the notion that if Brexit happens, carriers will not want to serve a market of 66 million people is one I'm quite sceptical about. I think it will be more of a problem for our small market in terms of using the land-bridge with the UK to access third countries, which the majority of Irish exports do use.

SamsonS

It is a civil servants assessment. of worst case scenario, in a worst case scenario you can make arguments for anything to happen no matter how unlikely they are.
No it isn't.
It is a the document that the cabinet in UK is working off, and their worst case scenario. It is not some report complied by a CS mandarin that can be discarded, ignored or made light of.

Dame_Enda

The NI High Court as just dismissed a legal action that wanted a No Deal Brexit blocked on grounds of harm to the Peace Process.

wombat

The divorce referendum - as with all referendums held in Ireland - had binding force. This is a feature of the beast. 50%+1 suffices. The exit referendum was advisory.
The divorce referendum was a simple question to which people could agree or disagree. A better comparison is the abortion referendum in the 80's where the Yes/No question was not suitable for a more complex question, no option for Yes but, or No maybe.

tsarbomb

If the Divorce Referendum was run today, the percentage in favour of divorce would be much, much higher.

Dinosaurs die out and this changes the results of referendums.
Ageism has become a respectable form of bigotry today and it's visible in the Brexit debates as well as your post.

CatullusV

On the question of holdups at the ports, the notion that if Brexit happens, carriers will not want to serve a market of 66 million people is one I'm quite sceptical about. I think it will be more of a problem for our small market in terms of using the land-bridge with the UK to access third countries, which the majority of Irish exports do use.
I take it that you are not in the business of importing or exporting goods.

Rural

Ageism has become a respectable form of bigotry today and it's visible in the Brexit debates as well as your post.
I'm no spring chicken myself, I'm not a dinosaur either. I know people a lot older than me who aren't dinosaurs, but dinosaurs are usually elderly.

Summary - Not all elderly people are dinosaurs but most dinosaurs are elderly.

tsarbomb

I'm no spring chicken myself, I'm not a dinosaur either. I know people a lot older than me who aren't dinosaurs, but dinosaurs are usually elderly.

Summary - Not all elderly people are dinosaurs but most dinosaurs are elderly.
Ireland used to have more liberal regulations on divorce, but people changed their minds on the issue. They could change their minds again.

Betson

No it isn't.
It is a the document that the cabinet in UK is working off, and their worst case scenario. It is not some report complied by a CS mandarin that can be discarded, ignored or made light of.
Who complied it then?

Was it the same people who said the UK economy would immediately tank if the leave side won the referendum?

AhNowStop

No but countries are queuing up to do trade deals with the UK including the US.
Its more of a shafting than a trade deal they're after ... luckily for them too as the UK will just be bending over for the soap at the very same time :oops: :confused:

US UK Trade Deal.jpg

Last edited:

CatullusV

No they did not , they commissioned it but had no input into it's contents.
So, for example, the minister for health is going to allow the views of his department to find their way on to a cabinet document without having any input?

The cabinet owns it and hasn't denied of its contents.

Surkov

Rich Brexiteers are more principled than rich remainders?
Remainers argue that property prices will fall substantially in London. Many remainer MP's own property and investment property in London. I believe that self-interest is motivating them. Which is wrong their sole political focus has to be the people they serve.

Dominic Cummings on the other hand is willing to take a hit on the value of his property (mentioned earlier) as he clearly puts the will of the people first and foremost.

In any event prices might slump for a while but they'll bounce back as part of the cycle. We all have to make adjustments and sacrifices in life, and that includes rich remainers.;)

New Threads

Most Replies