BREXIT: the general forum (Second Thread)

ShoutingIsLeadership

Tackle a protracted dispute by having a referendum that you are fairly confident will go the way you want it to.

Excellent idea!
What could possibly go wrong?
The majority in the North voted remain and a now bigger majority opposes anything which interrupts the day to day flow of life and business. This includes some DUP supporters.

This is why Varadkar has been emphasising consent. It has been assumed that it is the consent of politicians, but the people of NI have consented to none of this. The people will have a vote.

The DUP will get something to preserve its dignity...maybe a commitment to have another referendum in 10 years or something...throw in a few peerages.

ShoutingIsLeadership

There’s no the time for that if Boris wants out come the 31st.
Fudge. UK legislation which extends Article 50 so that a referendum can be held in NI to provide consent to a divergence from GB's clean and immediate exit from the EU.

Volatire

Varadkar should probably have kept his trap shut.

No upside in tipping off the DUP whackjobs.

Ireniall

I think a NI referendum about staying in the customs union etc is a possible way forward....let the people overrule the DUP and the difficult bunch within the Tories.
Yes. Unionists , who are naturally reluctant to implicitly admit the likelihood of unity by offering their input into how it would be done, might be more forthcoming if such a referendum happened with the obvious implications it might have. We would then have a much less contentious border poll whenever the time came around. I would definitely accept a referendum on the NI only backstop if I was Varadkar but the problem with this is the loss of the DUP votes in Westminster-or so the press would have you believe.

Ireniall

This loon has no concept of the history of Anschluss. It didn't start in 1933.

It began at the treaty of St Germain-en-Laye (10 September 1919), dividing the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and alienating many of its German-speaking people, most with a well-developed sense of nationality. Any reasonably-contemporary partition come readily to mind?

In March 1931 the (Weimar) German and Austrian governments proposed a customs union. Again, any parallel more recently? One of the motivations was the collapse of Austria's Kreditanstalt ('Loan Bank') and the country's 'political anarchy'. Blimey! More coincidences!

That customs union was opposed by France and the Little Entente (the Czechs, Romanians and Yugoslavs), and went all the way to the Hague, where it was declared illegal (by 8 votes to 7).

The loon's definition of Anschluss would presumably start with his Führer finding a convenient peg to hang his dictator's cap;
  • proceed through the machinated assassination of Dollfuss;
  • his Führer's encouragement of the Austrian Nazis, his recognition of Austrian independence, only (within two years) abrogating the notion;
  • the strong-arming of Schuschnigg at Berchtesgaden (February 1938);
  • his Führer sending heavy forces to the Border (indeed!);
  • the ultimatum forcing Schuschnigg's resignation in favour of Seyss-Inquart;
  • Seyss-Inquart's 'Inspired' telegram (inspired by Göring) inviting invasion 'to restore order';
  • quite a few consequential violent deaths.
Yes, one can now see why this loon is so enthused about Anschluss. But only the bits that particularly appeal to him.
I think that the thumbtack has has entirely fused with the face of the sledge hammer.

death or glory

Varadkar and Johnson have released a positive sounding statement following their meeting today. How much of this is just PR remains to be seen.
Well they are both stuck between a rock and a hard place so both really need a deal so a time limited backstop is inevitable.

former wesleyan

Has Bojo dropped the ball ? Looks like Leo can't be blamed for any failure, which is what has been assumed was the plan by the Brexiteers.

seanof

The majority in the North voted remain and a now bigger majority opposes anything which interrupts the day to day flow of life and business. This includes some DUP supporters.

This is why Varadkar has been emphasising consent. It has been assumed that it is the consent of politicians, but the people of NI have consented to none of this. The people will have a vote.

The DUP will get something to preserve its dignity...maybe a commitment to have another referendum in 10 years or something...throw in a few peerages.
Michael Portillo forecast as much before Johnson was elected leader.

Michael Portillo makes prediction over Boris Johnson's Brexit backstop plan

death or glory

Has Bojo dropped the ball ? Looks like Leo can't be blamed for any failure, which is what has been assumed was the plan by the Brexiteers.
Wes,
how do you come to that conclusion?

firefly123

I wonder if Leo insisted on a 1 to 1 meeting so then only Johnson could be blamed for any leaks ala Merkel's call.

The fact No. 10 is so quiet suggests something's afoot. I wonder if Johnson has calculated the numbers with those labour letter writers pleading for any deal minus the Spartans and the DUP and believes he has the numbers. If he does he gets out before 31st and is hailed a hero (minus the ultras who'd vote Brexit party anyway). I feel Johnson is far more comfy in the middle.

We shall see I suppose.

hiding behind a poster

I wonder if Leo insisted on a 1 to 1 meeting so then only Johnson could be blamed for any leaks ala Merkel's call.

The fact No. 10 is so quiet suggests something's afoot. I wonder if Johnson has calculated the numbers with those labour letter writers pleading for any deal minus the Spartans and the DUP and believes he has the numbers. If he does he gets out before 31st and is hailed a hero (minus the ultras who'd vote Brexit party anyway). I feel Johnson is far more comfy in the middle.

We shall see I suppose.
There were officials present today.

caledhel

"Under the customs partnership, the UK would agree to enforce EU customs rules and tariffs on goods moving from Britain to Northern Ireland. But if the EU tariff was higher than the UK tariff, businesses in the North would receive a rebate.

So Northern Ireland would leave the EU customs union and would enjoy all the benefits of an independent UK trade policy. But the customs border for administrative purposes would run alongside the regulatory border in the Irish Sea."

Customs border in Irish Sea emerges as the only basis of a Brexit deal

Amazing deal for NI businesses. A special arrangement for a region that is economically small enough to allow for unique solution to unblock an otherwise intractable macro-political impasse.

raetsel

Has anyone else noticed how often Leo Varadkar has been mocked by the spite-filled Brexiters in Britain and even from within the DUP as "Little Leo"?
It caused a minor diplomatic kerfuffle when the Irish Ambassador to the UK raised the issue in April after a condescending Spectator article. One of the DUP's many, many homophobes was guilty of using the term at the end of 2017 - Mervyn Poots being the culprit.

Anyway...................................... :ROFLMAO:

1570741637571.jpeg

death or glory

"Under the customs partnership, the UK would agree to enforce EU customs rules and tariffs on goods moving from Britain to Northern Ireland. But if the EU tariff was higher than the UK tariff, businesses in the North would receive a rebate.

So Northern Ireland would leave the EU customs union and would enjoy all the benefits of an independent UK trade policy. But the customs border for administrative purposes would run alongside the regulatory border in the Irish Sea."

Customs border in Irish Sea emerges as the only basis of a Brexit deal

Amazing deal for NI businesses. A special arrangement for a region that is economically small enough to allow for unique solution to unblock an otherwise intractable macro-political impasse.
Sounds like a good deal to me.

Pythagoras

Michael Portillo forecast as much before Johnson was elected leader.

Michael Portillo makes prediction over Boris Johnson's Brexit backstop plan
Many commentators including Jonathan Powell have been saying for months that Boris will ditch the DUP and put a customs border down the Irish Sea. Not such a bad idea as most people in NI will go for it. A NI referendum on the backstop will deal with the issue of consent. Dominic Cummings tried bully tactics but parliament has held firm and now Boris will do what he has to do to save his political skin.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies