BREXIT: the general forum (Second Thread)

pippakin

And all self inflicted sir by pips and her pals.
Oh no I had a lot of help from two near neighours and a taxi driver 'She' I use that word in its loosest possible sense, married a thief He was also a teacher and a fixture in the all important local Catholic church and school, being in Ireland he got away with theft. The one I call the local beer gut is just a silly boy who is definitely old enough to A know better and B get rid of the beer gut. The taxi driver is just a nasty little man divorced of course but this is Ireland and it takes a lot of groveling to the 'right' people for a divorce to be forgotten or ignored especially if your second wife is on the civil service payroll

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
There were toxic elements to Irish society, I'll agree. Some of the more stultifying, stunting and harmful are detailed on plenty of threads elsewhere as we're getting a bit far from Brexit and there'll be some digital Rear Admiral along in a minute to shout at us.

But Ireland has changed a lot, much more in recent years. Still rockpools and cesspits of dreadful corruption and degeneracy of course here and there but the population has moved on in many ways.

To swerve back toward the subject, Brexit, I do think it was a terrible mistake strategically by all main parties in the UK to allow a constituency to grow which blames Brussels for its ills, which in fact long predate the UK membership of the EU in the first place. And then compound the political error by waiting till the constituency was big enough to dogwhistle at. Which is exactly what the ERG in Johnson, Gove, Patel, Rees-Mogg ended up doing.

That's the easy part to understand. The bit in the future where expectations are going to have to be clarified is what concerns me.

Mickeymac

Oh no I had a lot of help from two near neighours and a taxi driver 'She' I use that word in its loosest possible sense, married a thief He was also a teacher and a fixture in the all important local Catholic church and school, being in Ireland he got away with theft. The one I call the local beer gut is just a silly boy who is definitely old enough to A know better and B get rid of the beer gut. The taxi driver is just a nasty little man divorced of course but this is Ireland and it takes a lot of groveling to the 'right' people for a divorce to be forgotten or ignored especially if your second wife is on the civil service payroll

Read my post again, I was referring to you voting and supporting Brexit which will undoubtedly leave you in a much worse situation.

caledhel

It's an ask not for whom suggestion that I think Johnson clocked.

It wouldn't be bad for our long term interests, or the future of Europe, if Britain didn't go down the drain after Brexit. If it's a mess then it could turn into something like Albania which wouldn't be good. We can expect more global uncertainty in the next decade and a waning America. The policy of potential energy that Europe has kept to in foreign affairs seems wise now.

Anyway it got through the Lords without any real opposition so the 31st of January is fixed. Paddy Power is only offering odds on Britain rejoining now.

The announcement of the election here took me by meh. Coveney will be remembered well in history. He has my admiration. He has done his duty.

Newrybhoy

It's an ask not for whom suggestion that I think Johnson clocked.

It wouldn't be bad for our long term interests, or the future of Europe, if Britain didn't go down the drain after Brexit. If it's a mess then it could turn into something like Albania which wouldn't be good. We can expect more global uncertainty in the next decade and a waning America. The policy of potential energy that Europe has kept to in foreign affairs seems wise now.

Anyway it got through the Lords without any real opposition so the 31st of January is fixed. Paddy Power is only offering odds on Britain rejoining now.

The announcement of the election here took me by meh. Coveney will be remembered well in history. He has my admiration. He has done his duty.
Your whole country is the size of one decent British city.

Get a bit of perspective.

Sync

Had enough of the experts.

Brexit is likely to have cost the UK more than £200 billion in lost economic growth by the end of this year — a figure that almost eclipses the total amount the UK has paid toward the European Union budget over the past 47 years.

According to research by Bloomberg Economics, the cost of the UK's vote to leave has already reached £130 billion, with a further £70 billion likely to be added by the end of 2020.
The analysis, by the economist Dan Hanson, found that business uncertainty had caused the UK's economic growth to lag behind that of other G7 countries since the 2016 vote.

That means the British economy is 3% smaller than it might have been if the UK had not voted to leave the EU.

petaljam

The post was about church bells ringing out all across the UK , costs nothing. And think of the joy it would bring to all of the UK.
All of the UK? You think?

TBF anyone who hasn’t noticed that a large proportion of the UK is decidedly unhappy about Brexit is either trolling or has been living under a rock for the last three years.

Maybe that comes to the same thing. ;)

Sync

I can’t see the church letting people in to mark a political event. It’s nice of the Leave EU guys to imply they’ll just storm the religious institutions though. Presumably They’ll force entry to the mosques and synagogues as well.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies