Brexit: The return of the UK land bridge dilemma

McSlaggart

But for now the land bridge remains the premium route. Higher value goods, not to mention time sensitive products, tend to use the land bridge over other routes.

Irish hauliers and exporters are worried about how this is going to be resolved, especially if the EU-UK future relationship talks break down in acrimony. "There’s a real risk we get caught in the crossfire," says one Irish official.

No Deal boris
:

shiel

But for now the land bridge remains the premium route. Higher value goods, not to mention time sensitive products, tend to use the land bridge over other routes.

Irish hauliers and exporters are worried about how this is going to be resolved, especially if the EU-UK future relationship talks break down in acrimony. "There’s a real risk we get caught in the crossfire," says one Irish official.

No Deal boris
:
As ever with Tony Connelly very good article.

Just one example of the contempt of English Brexiteers for their European neighbours and especially for Paddy.

McTell

As ever with Tony Connelly very good article.

Just one example of the contempt of English Brexiteers for their European neighbours and especially for Paddy.

No, it's not about "contempt", you seem to have this insane notion that business and customs are run entirely on the hatreds of long ago! It was a 3-way tussle.

The EU changed its rules on transits in May:

While the European Commission was aware of Irish concerns, Dublin believed the issue still had not been resolved, with the transition period coming to an end in just over six months' time.

When Irish officials raised the issue with the European Commission it is understood the Commission was initially unmoved by Irish concerns.

Then six weeks ago the Department of Foreign Affairs raised the matter politically through a number of EU capitals and approached Michel Barnier's European Commission Task Force.

The government argued that since Mr Barnier's negotiating mandate on the future EU-UK relationship explicitly acknowledges the geographical challenges facing Ireland in physically accessing the rest of the EU single market, then there was an obligation on Brussels to find a solution.

Under the new OCR legislation, both live animals and food products arriving via the UK land bridge would have been subject to the EU's digital pre-notification system known as TRACES.

shiel

No, it's not about "contempt", you seem to have this insane notion that business and customs are run entirely on the hatreds of long ago! It was a 3-way tussle.

The EU changed its rules on transits in May:

While the European Commission was aware of Irish concerns, Dublin believed the issue still had not been resolved, with the transition period coming to an end in just over six months' time.

When Irish officials raised the issue with the European Commission it is understood the Commission was initially unmoved by Irish concerns.

Then six weeks ago the Department of Foreign Affairs raised the matter politically through a number of EU capitals and approached Michel Barnier's European Commission Task Force.

The government argued that since Mr Barnier's negotiating mandate on the future EU-UK relationship explicitly acknowledges the geographical challenges facing Ireland in physically accessing the rest of the EU single market, then there was an obligation on Brussels to find a solution.

Under the new OCR legislation, both live animals and food products arriving via the UK land bridge would have been subject to the EU's digital pre-notification system known as TRACES.
I am not talking about this detailed negotiation.

What I am saying is that there would be no need for any of this if the Brexiteers did not vote to declare economic war on the EU and especially on Paddy.

Now according to the Brexiteers and the gutter London media the consequences are all the EU's or Paddy's fault.

Dame_Enda

Instead of expanding Dublin port, the government should invest in those on the south coast such as Waterford, Rosslare and Cork which are better situated for directly transporting freight to continental Europe.

Michael Martin, as a Cork man, will I hope take this seriously.

When it comes to the land bridge, it might be time to "break the connection". We are not Brits.

shiel

Great article in Journal relevant to Brexit.

It is about the life of Leopold Kerney who was an Irish diplomat in the first half of the last century.

'We can learn much from his handling of Britain,' writes historian Barry Whelan.

Lord Talbot

I think that we are managing 'defeat' in a way that the England is singularly failing to manage 'victory'
Got to accept the result, regardless of what happens. Its done now.

Last edited:

Dearghoul

Yes I dont think that you'll be able to find a post on here nor anywhere else that doesn't accept that result.

It will be cataclysmic for England but hey ho.

I think that the days of Englands difficulty being Irelands opportunity are well behind us, and this matter is an occasion for genuine sorrow at the hoodwinking of a majority.

That said we must focus on the matter at hand and ensure optimal outcomes for ourselves, as our nearest trading partner removes itself from reality.

Dearghoul

Where should I start m'lud?

I was responding to a response to yours of mine.

If you find the Brexit debacle a little too hot to handle directly, then M'lords declining to respond would be considered understandable, rather than his honours usual risible sh!t.

Dearghoul

Start by reading the conversation you were replying to.
M'lord took it upon himself to take issue to my response to his stand alone post, by way of reference to a previous matter with which I Was not appraised.

His Lordship will understand that his post in its singularity of view rendered itself subject to criticism. It is for his lordship to counter such criticism, without recourse to previous positions adopted both by his lordship and other posters who are stangers to this discussion.

His lordship will no doubt understand that I will take exception to the seeming injustice of his assertions in this regard.

Lord Talbot

M'lord took it upon himself to take issue to my response to his stand alone post
You responded to a reply I made to another poster, not a standalone post. Please stop boring me and everyone else reading this thread.

If you want to attack me make a valid point or log out.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom