BREXIT: The Starters Gun for Irish Reunification?

Mickeymac

I look forward to you explaining this to those dependant on social housing,healthcare and pensions and that work for the state, will get to lose these things to facilitate the takeover from the RoI.

It sounds like a winning campaign.

wishful-thinking.jpg

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It may be more likely that Northern Ireland would see the sense in accessing political and economic support for reunification from the EU regional funds at least.

The level of financial support available in terms of Irish American investment is possibly a major factor as well.

Better than begging for crumbs and being compared in the financial infrastructure debate with Rochdale.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Came across something rather heartening the other day for Northern Ireland interests around these parts.

I was researching something else and caught sight of a very healthy looking textile business, impressive turnover, low debt, high net assets. WFB Baird &Co, exporters of fine Irish linen who seem to be doing quite well in supplying top-end linen for shirt makers, plus all the usual linen products.

I was thinking it was nice to see a company in Belfast doing well, and particularly from a sector with a fine tradition in the region.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I should declare I have no financial interest in the company, nor does any advantage at all accrue to me from mentioning the company here.

McTell

Twitter
No
I look forward to you explaining this to those dependant on social housing,healthcare and pensions and that work for the state, will get to lose these things to facilitate the takeover from the RoI.

It sounds like a winning campaign.

They have to lose some benefits 'cos we can't pay them.

With healthcare down and tesco prices up, it will be a challenge.

There again, with the highest incidence of mental health cases in europe, they can probably live with a bit more masochism. We could set up indian-style reservations for tourists to come and snap them.

Newrybhoy

There again, with the highest incidence of mental health cases in europe, they can probably live with a bit more masochism. We could set up indian-style reservations for tourists to come and snap them.
That's SF voters for you.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Fold on what? Neither Brussels nor Dublin have to do anything at all. It is up to Westminster to raise workable proposals, alternative arrangements which protects the GFA as agreed.

If Westminster doesn't come up with any new proposal then by all means let it crash out of the EU.

If any Brexiteers think that the EU is going to sit down and wrap up a trade deal with the UK at warp-speed to help the UK out after the bizarre behaviour from Johnson and co I think they are dreaming.

How do the Brexiteers think Luxembourg are going to assist with that after the recent capers involving their Prime Minister on the weekend?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Far as I understand it the EU doesn't even have any papers or suggestions from Westminster to apparently 'fold' over.

What benefit would it be to the EU of removing the backstop? What motivation would they have to get Johnson & Co out of a tight corner?

I can't see any.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
'They held us hostage over a legal agreement we negotiated and signed back in the 1990s. The unfeeling bastards.'

Mickeymac

Far as I understand it the EU doesn't even have any papers or suggestions from Westminster to apparently 'fold' over.

What benefit would it be to the EU of removing the backstop? What motivation would they have to get Johnson & Co out of a tight corner?

I can't see any.

I really can not understand any intelligent person who have problems comprehending your post above sir.

Mickeymac

Interesting contribution from Fr, Sean...…..

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Can you imagine trying to put a border fence or wall across some of the farms straddling the border.

It'd be quicker to just shoot yourself and have done with it. I wouldn't be in favour of bidding for that job :)

Emily Davison

My understanding was that Irish social welfare rates are far higher. How much is a pension in NI?

McTell

Twitter
No
My understanding was that Irish social welfare rates are far higher. How much is a pension in NI?
Ehm, dunno. But you're saying if the brits are subbing NI with 10,000,000,000 a year, the cost will be higher for us.

So they can pay more at tesco.

james toney

Nigel Dodds starts to realise the obvious mess he and unionists have made of Brexit and NI, and says the DUP is now open to an invitation to a Dublin Citizen's Assembly.
Arlene has now said he jumped the gun...and has ruled it out.....as she would.
Anyway.....another self imposed kneecapping by the flat earth bigots.....nothing new in that.

Mickeymac

Nigel Dodds starts to realise the obvious mess he and unionists have made of Brexit and NI, and says the DUP is now open to an invitation to a Dublin Citizen's Assembly.
Arlene has now said he jumped the gun...and has ruled it out.....as she would.
Anyway.....another self imposed kneecapping by the flat earth bigots.....nothing new in that.

Unionism is so fucted up the in fighting was inevitable but coming before the elections has surprised me.

New Threads

Most Replies