"Brexit, there is a growing consensus that it imperils the union"

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The border that was impermeable at the height of the 'Troubles'... 300 miles of country lanes. Whatever the technological solution to that is I hope it comes with batteries supplied!

Mickeymac

Ex-Tory leader Hague warns DUP over no-deal

Former Conservative Party leader William Hague has warned the DUP that if Brexit ends in "no-deal" they will look back on a pivotal moment and realise they “needed a deal more than they ever knew

Good article here ANS, well worth a read sir.........

death or glory

The border that was impermeable at the height of the 'Troubles'... 300 miles of country lanes. Whatever the technological solution to that is I hope it comes with batteries supplied!
A bit like your wifes favourite toy.

There presently is a border, there will be a border in the foreseeable future.
The only difference will be the Eire EU customs posts at the border and the queues heading South

McSlaggart

There presently is a border, t
here will be a border in the foreseeable future.
The only difference will be the Eire EU customs posts at the border and the queues heading South

Dairy industry in Northern Ireland could be 'wiped out' by no-deal Brexit

AhNowStop

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
A bit like your wifes favourite toy.

There presently is a border, there will be a border in the foreseeable future.
Predicting a refugee problem? I'd have thought you'd be firmly of the opinion that the queues would be on the south side, heading north. And on a point of order I do not have a wife. I realised long ago I prefer other people's wives but I prefer to borrow occasionally rather than invest myself. I'm short fidelity and long optimism in that particular derivative fund.

McSlaggart

Jim Allister, the leader of the Traditional Unionist Voice party, said: “If the proposals we’re beginning to hear about are correct it would totally disintegrate that economic unity … No matter how you dress it up, that is a fundamental assault upon our position within the United Kingdom.”

jmcc

So will the DUP have enough votes to block any deal or will people in NI vote against the DUP in favour of their own best financial interests? Has England finally given up on the dreary steeples of Fermanagh and Tyrone?

McSlaggart

The Democratic Unionist party (DUP) is facing two options, one bad, the other worse. The trick will be deciding which is which. It can reject the Brexit deal that British and EU negotiators are discussing in Brussels, on the assumption it proposes a border down the Irish Sea.
Rejection would rupture its relations with Boris Johnson and could sink the deal in the Commons, shunt the UK towards no deal, wreck Northern Ireland’s economy and add support for a united Ireland.
Or Arlene Foster and her 10 Westminster MPs could endorse the deal and smooth its passage through parliament, then face howls of betrayal from rival unionists who will try to engrave Brexit on the DUP’s tombstone.

james toney

The DUP are about to find out that accepting secret deals with bribes makes them expendable losses....especially when the Tories need a fall guy to take the blame for the N.I. troubles coming back to haunt them.
Then we have the RHI report about to come out.....and their Loyalist terrorist friends are warning the British of terrorist attacks to keep them as their friends...and in the UK.
A minority of corrupt bigots are still trying to call the shots.....knowing that their time is almost up.

devonish

The Democratic Unionist party (DUP) is facing two options, one bad, the other worse. The trick will be deciding which is which. It can reject the Brexit deal that British and EU negotiators are discussing in Brussels, on the assumption it proposes a border down the Irish Sea.
Rejection would rupture its relations with Boris Johnson and could sink the deal in the Commons, shunt the UK towards no deal, wreck Northern Ireland’s economy and add support for a united Ireland.
Or Arlene Foster and her 10 Westminster MPs could endorse the deal and smooth its passage through parliament, then face howls of betrayal from rival unionists who will try to engrave Brexit on the DUP’s tombstone.

I really can't see the DUP voting for this and without them the govt will need a significant number of labour rebels to support it, so parliament rejects and Boris goes into general election with a clear objective on Brexit, namely a deal that Westminster rejected, removes the fear of a no-deal Brexit and labour gets the kicking it deserves for it's performance over the last few years (not saying that the tories don't also deserve a kicking at the polls), Libdems will suffer from their new position of scrapping Brexit, the only other winners are likely to be the SNP . DUP end up back where they are most comfortable, as a party of protest rather than as a party of government which is forced to make difficult decisions.

Talk Back

I really can't see the DUP voting for this and without them the govt will need a significant number of labour rebels to support it, so parliament rejects and Boris goes into general election with a clear objective on Brexit, namely a deal that Westminster rejected, removes the fear of a no-deal Brexit and labour gets the kicking it deserves for it's performance over the last few years (not saying that the tories don't also deserve a kicking at the polls), Libdems will suffer from their new position of scrapping Brexit, the only other winners are likely to be the SNP . DUP end up back where they are most comfortable, as a party of protest rather than as a party of government which is forced to make difficult decisions.
There is no getting around it - there will never be an artificial border through Ireland again.

McSlaggart

If the DUP do not vote for a border in the Irish sea then it will happen when the next government comes in to office. The UK is clearly not in a position to set the terms of an agreement with the EU. At this point the UK have shown themselves to have very little credibility.

death or glory

If the DUP do not vote for a border in the Irish sea then it will happen when the next government comes in to office. The UK is clearly not in a position to set the terms of an agreement with the EU. At this point the UK have shown themselves to have very little credibility.
The next UK government will be a majority Boris led conservative one.
The UK have more credibility than the Eire government.

McSlaggart

It looks to me that the DUP are prepared to go with Boris. The deal is madness from a unionist point of view.

death or glory

It looks to me that the DUP are prepared to go with Boris. The deal is madness from a unionist point of view.
They made the bed, they've got to lie in it.

McSlaggart

The next UK government will be a majority Boris led conservative one.
The UK have more credibility than the Eire government.
DUP finds itself caught between the devil and the Irish sea

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies