• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Brian Boru epic to film in Ireland

Little_Korean

Anyone else drooling at the thought of this?

Brian Boru epic to film in Ireland

It is reported that an €80m biopic of Irish king Brian Boru will be made in Ireland next year.

The Irish Independent describes Boru as "the biggest movie ever made on Irish shores" and says details of the production will be officially announced in the coming weeks.
With that William Wallace guy hogging the epic limelight those years back, what's taken the world of cinema so long to discover the Brian Boru story?

Vikings, battles, daring guerilla campaigns, a red-haired Nordic-Colleen stirring up the menfolk for the final fight, the hero dying at the cusp of his greatest victory...what's not to love?

The film will be directed and produced by its writer, Mark Mahon from Cork.

It is based on the new graphic novel Freedom within the Heart.
Can't say I've ever heard of him or it. Was Morgan Llewelyn not available?

I remember her take on the Bory story (the kid-friendly version) being the first novel I ever read from cover to cover, and putting it down with the conviction that this was THE GREATEST BOOK EVER, and that the Brian Boru story was THE GREATEST STORY EVER.

So, will we get to see Boru making his mark on the country's foremost warlord with the sacking of Limerick? Making the city marginally more dangerous than it is today?

ruserious

The RDF will be delighted if they get to do the extras again like in Saving Private Ryan and Braveheart.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
"Based on graphic novel..."

Hmmmmmm. Not sure I'll hold my breath then. A decent documentary would be nice though.

mickterry

I think we should wait and see about this one. €80 is a lot of money for an untried producer and director to get.

spidermom

I remember when "Saving Private Ryan" and "Braveheart" were filmed here...was working in a certain medical supplies establishment!!

We had all the yummy stunt men in for knee supports etc.....good times!!

However unless this lot end up in a large public A+E for treatment.....my drooling will be but a distant(but pleasant) memory!! :)

Man or Mouse

Will Mel be playing Brian?

God help us all.
Must be getting to the right age bracket for the later scenes pretty soon, eh? Wonder who'd play him as a little boy? Wonder will George Hook be commenting on the Graves of The Leinstermen, segment?

bona na croin

Anyone else drooling at the thought of this?
I was, until you ruined the ending for me (if it gets made)!

Vikings, battles, daring guerilla campaigns, a red-haired Nordic-Colleen stirring up the menfolk for the final fight, the hero dying at the cusp of his greatest victory

Franzoni

I was, until you ruined the ending for me (if it gets made)!
Don't read the bible so....the fella dies in the end in that one too...........

I'm going to look for a job as one of the baddies....:D

bona na croin

Don't read the bible so....the fella dies in the end in that one too...........

I'm going to look for a job as one of the baddies....:D
I wasn't planning on it, thanks for the heads up though!

Tea Party Patriot

Hmmmmmm. Not sure I'll hold my breath then. A decent documentary would be nice though.
I would agree, I would much prefer if it was based on Morgan Llewellyn's book Lion of Ireland which was a riveting read and would make an excellent film packed with action and political machinations.

redsaint

Will Bertie be playing Brian,because he has the making's of a great actor.

Tea Party Patriot

I think the fella in the bible comes back. Ideal for a sequel
They made one, its called the Acts of the Apostles, it must have flopped at the box office as it is rarely mentioned in discourse.

Tea Party Patriot

Will Bertie be playing Brian,because he has the making's of a great actor.
They are thinking it might increase its appeal if they let Bertie play Brian for the scene with Brodir.

eoghanacht

We Eóghanacht p!ss on the grave of that usurper.

Hope the Film is good.

SirTallaghtban

Hope the film is good. Love going to the cinema - spend crazy cash on popcorn, beers and nachos. But hate Hollywood so boycotted my local theatre instead for more Airtricity League Games, meals out and Dublin GAA.

Will definitely watch this in the cinema. Support Irish movies!

SirTallaghtban

This one is pretty decent but poor picture quality. Worth a gander.

[video=youtube;VwowanGcGWc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwowanGcGWc[/video]