Brian Cowen Interview on Newstalk

Sync

It's just finished. Taped last night in the government buildings with Ivan Yates. Well worth tracking down the podcast simply because he doesn't do that many of them.

A very assured performance. I remember listening to him during the second Lisbon discussions and thinking he should be more active on the radio. Very commanding, on point and confident in his actions.

Main things to come from it:

1. No deal done with any FF ministers according to him. He's fully planning to lead the party into the next election, and if anyone has an issue with that "They know what the process is" which is to get the 18 signatures from the party and call a vote.

2. Spoke of his admiration for Alan Dukes in the 80s and his actions to support the government. Without using the words "Tallaght Strategy" he very clearly stated that whether in power or out, FF would support whoever was implementing the 4 year plan.

3. No apology or backing down over the IMF's return. He's happy with his communication.

4. The move for an election will be down to his decision and will take place once the legislation for the budget is signed off.

It's impossible to believe he'll lead FF into the next election, but it really was a good interview from him. Certainly didn't avoid any questions. You can see his electoral skills are there, and he's looking forward to tearing labour apart, but he had nothing negative to say about FG.

johnfás

2. Spoke of his admiration for Alan Dukes in the 80s and his actions to support the government. Without using the words "Tallaght Strategy" he very clearly stated that whether in power or out, FF would support whoever was implementing the 4 year plan.
This is an empty promise and one we heard from Martin as well. They said that they would support the four year plan - as in the one that they constructed. I would wager that as soon as FG/Lab present their own four year plan when in Government FF will say "oh, that's our offer lapsed because it isn't the four year plan anymore". All they have said is we'll support you so long as you implement our policies - well duh.

Aindriu

You're obviously a fan of the Clowen then Sync?

Sync

This is an empty promise and one we heard from Martin as well. They said that they would support the four year plan - as in the one that they constructed. I would wager that as soon as FG/Lab present their own four year plan when in Government FF will say "oh, that's our offer lapsed because it isn't the four year plan anymore". All they have said is we'll support you so long as you implement our policies - well duh.
I'd actually think he intends otherwise. It doesn't matter because he's not going to be in charge of FF so anything he says can really be disregarded, but for once the country and FF's aims cross paths. There's more votes in FF loyally backing the next Govt's plan and then picking up the pieces when the coalition inevitably falls apart.

You're obviously a fan of the Clowen then Sync?
God no, he's been the second worst leader the country's seen. That doesn't negate the fact that it was a very good interview and that he should have done more of them in previous years.

DCon

Taped last night in the government buildings with Ivan Yates.
Good idea. Avoids any early morning "congestion"

enby

He performed well and was more than a match for the shrill Yates

Mondo

So this time they managed to get it recorded before he hit the bottle.
Great then, let's forget all the other stuff.

Perhaps describing his performance as 'consistent' would be more appropriate:
HE has no problem agreeing with anyone who wants to implement HIS 4 year plan.
HE has no problem with HIS communication.
HE alone will decide when elections will be held.

I'm sure he'll continue to regain his confidence - as long as we accept, without challenge, all that he would have us believe is reality.

Last edited:

Lord Wellington

I think Yates was to soft on him.

He did well. But he did well in a "Cowen" way.

Yates seemed to me to be slightly in awe at interviewing the Taoiseach.

Last edited:

Doora

One reasonable interview - wow. All our problems have now disappeared

controller

I heard it. I thought Yeats was too easy on the useless slob. I hope he is leading FF into the next election, it will make the slaughter even more beautiful

G

Gimpanzee

It's just finished. Taped last night in the government buildings with Ivan Yates. Well worth tracking down the podcast simply because he doesn't do that many of them.

A very assured performance.
I haven't listened to that yet, but I thought his interview last night with David MCullough was his best performance since he got the job. He seemed like a man liberated by having the budget out of the way and he seemed eager to explain his position, rather than his usual tetchy defensive way and didn't resort to the 'lehman's', 'everyone else thinks we're doing great' stuff that drives people up the wall. Not sure what the story is with him, but he certainly seemed like he wasn't resigned to being ousted after Christmas.

Sync

tigerben

In the Interview with David McCollough he was like a Garda on traffic duties. Hand's all over the place. He know's his a goner and they say you can get used to any thing even death. So really it matter's not what he says, he is already yesterday's man and a footnote in another sorry saga in Ireland's history.

Grant Dole

Unfortunately it was a very poor performance by Ivan which made Cowen's performance look reasonably well. In essence he did not say anything new, it was the same old gombeen FF spin. A journalist like Vincent Browne or Jeremy Paxman (who by the way effectively accused the Irish government of being incompetent) would have torn Cowen to pieces.

carlovian

Cowen is cooming good and he wiped the flowr with the opposition in the dail
Yes, hes a hero and a great leader.

Why the IMF are here to run the country is beyond me after Cowens careful nurturing of the economy.

punchdrunk

Cowen is cooming good and he wiped the flowr with the opposition in the dail
The country is BANKRUPT. Are you living in a bubble? Get real. We have an unsustainable national debt (with a likely default), 460,000 unemployed, a broken banking system and thousands emigrating. Would you call that coming good would you?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies